What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with chemdog x sd.......rezdog's gear....or one step removed?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey schwagg :wave: - thanks - i hope some of them at least are ladies, but i also want a male or two to make some f2's. i've never grow either chem d or sour diesel but the idea of plants spread out along the genetic spectrum between the two sounds good to me. pheno hunting would be fun. ;) :dance013:

barth - cheer for stopping by!

blimey. :tiphat:- the chem x sour d isnt rez's gear (i would find it hard to spend that amount of money on seeds). its the original chem cut crossed to a sd dad.

hey unc! - the first thing you'll notice is how well plants veg under the LED's

hey bootz the Kentish Creme x heri didnt come out - the timing was a bit off and the seeds were hollow :(
but i also crosed it to the sharksbreath - which is a great mum and good yielder and f'ing strong - so that might be a good match.
i kept a mum of the heri (hooray for reveg cuttings) so i will make more crosses. i have one in mind particularly which ill keep quiet about for now. ;)

i smoked some of the heri that had been drying for about 3 days so pretty early. it seems that reports of it's potency have not been exaggerated :D not sure it's going to help me sleep but we will see.

cheers

VG:wave:

maree

Hey Verdant - nice to see you going strong man!

Popped in to pick your brains concerning light cycles.

Was wondering if you're aware of any work that's been done on splitting up the dark period each day (and, if so, how yield and potency were affected)? For example, alternating 6 hour periods of dark and light or some such. We're small scale, domestic, personal cultivators and we're thinking about using lights to provide heat for the home in the morning before work and in the evening afterwards. Cut down on our bills and make use of some of that wasted energy! Is this sort of thing possible d'ya reackon?

Any knowledge you've got to share'd be much appreciated.

user_online.gif
progress.gif
https://www.icmag.com/ic/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3889290

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
marree - i cant say ive tried what you describe, but think ive read that 6hrs light /dark does work when flowering cannabis. i would be interested if it does. i guess the weed is still getting the same total amount of darkness, whether or not the two shorter periods would slow down flowering would remain to be seen. what i have read from a reliable source is that you can give longer days to cannabis whilst giving the same 12hr dark period - eg 15/12 and that does allow for more photosynthesis without compromising flowering.

addicted2grow, as bootz says, there is plenty of talk about what you ask in the thread but briefly, yes, smell is same or even better under LED than straight hps. density is the same too.

:tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok the herijuana weight was 42g, which equates to very nearly 1gpw if you dont count the UV tubes. seems like a very potent and nice smoke, but needs a week or two cure before i can give it a proper test.

the Sharksbreath will come down today if i get time, and looks like it will be the biggest harvest yet. the UV tubes have definitely ripened the trics more and hopefully made the plant produce more too ;) you casn actually see some damage to small areas of the trics so it is certainly making a difference.

cheers

VG

Scrogerman

Veteran
Looking Good as Always bro, What have you got on keeping Bonsai Mums Verd, I know you do it, am gonna give this Bonsai thing ago i think, do you just use standard bonsai tecniques, ie- trim roots & train upper growth & trim etc. Av you any pics of your bonsai mums in cab? sorry if i missed it before. Id Luv to sample that herijuana & the SB, looks killa ;) Cheers Buddy!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
drpressure - thanks! - im not sure about the photography though, could be much better, but the little scrog modules are a good shape for a photo at least ;)

scrogerman - there is a thread about bonsai mums in the soil forum i think. basically i keep them in about 1 litre pots, prune regularly whether you need the cuts or not, and repot every 6 months or so by cutting some of the rootball off - about half an inch all round and use some fresh soil. seaweed every now and again. they often look pretty awful and yellow but they survive.

my mum cab is a standard kitchen wall cupboard with 8' by 3' x 2' high with 2 x 21w t5's in there. i keep anywhere between 6 and 12 mums/dads in there. here is an old photo, there isd a microcab squeezed inbetween those two now :D
picture.php

rastaidd - welcome!!

VG :tiphat:

maree

marree - i cant say ive tried what you describe, but think ive read that 6hrs light /dark does work when flowering cannabis. i would be interested if it does. i guess the weed is still getting the same total amount of darkness, whether or not the two shorter periods would slow down flowering would remain to be seen. what i have read from a reliable source is that you can give longer days to cannabis whilst giving the same 12hr dark period - eg 15/12 and that does allow for more photosynthesis without compromising flowering.

Thanks Verdant - I think I read about the same lighting experiment in one of the classic cultivation manuals - but can't remember which.

As to the 6/6 thing - I wrote that when I was thinking a bit, you know, tangentially and it seemed like a good idea then. Since then I'd been feeling it was a real stupid question to ask. How could I not know it has to be 12 hours 9or so) continuous darkness. I was expecting some short shrift in replies, if I got any! So to even have it answered makes me feel a bit less foolish.

Cheers man!

hi verdant
great thread as allways
i really like your mod scrog method and am planning something similar myself ,
am interested in your plants before u put screen on (im growing from seed if it makes a difference)

question1 :do you top or fim them? (would you if grow from seed)

question2 :what would the optimal height for screen be from soil ? ( on a screen size 14" by 10 " ( if height in growroom was not a restriction)

question 3 :would i yield more/be better to use a custom built pot 14" x 10" (same size as screen and more soil) for these screens compared to say a 9 or 10" diameter round pot

thanks verdant for any help u can give me u have inspired me to go down the led mod scrog method

good luck with yer girls

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maree - if you do try the 6/6 thing let me know how it goes :tiphat:

swgi - i ive never tried to fim tbh, i usually top them at least once, sometimes more, although many people dont top when they scrog, i have very limited height and veg space so it works for me. i also use lst and supercropping sometimes as well as topping. there is not really a set way that i do it each time, i kind of play it by ear. i like seed plants to get to a reasonable age before i flower them (this can allow seed plants to be sexed if possible and the plant gets a nice root system. also i think older plants may turn out a little more potent) so keeping them small and neat during this time is good. every strain and even every plant is different so its good to 'play it by ear' and do what seems best as you go along. dont be scared to try these things :)
general rule for topping - dont top seed plants down to less than 4 nodes, and always top back to a mature leaf as they will recover quicker.
ideal height for the screen - depends a little on the stretch really but you need enough room to comfortably get your hand in there. somewhere around 6"
pot size. up to a point the bigger the better, keep your eye out for those plastic stackable storage containers as they come in quite a few different sizes

---

so the cab is clear of flowering plants atm and im going to swap the light back to hps for the winter at some point. i should have the final yield for the sharksbreath in a couple of days. my other cab will stick with it's LED for the winter (the custom one) and my old 63w 1st gen unit in my smallest cab will make a fantastic veg light. :dance013:

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, i have the final figures for the last plant in this test - the sharksbreath.

i had a feeling it would be the best yielder yet :D

dry weight was 73grams

which equates to just over 1.6 grams per watt without the supplemental UV lighting
or 1.27 grams per watt including the supplemental lighting. either way a very good haul.

and that about rounds things off for this LED grow. perhaps i'll try and post a couple of dry nug shots if i can, but as the weather is getting much colder now i have just moved the old 250hps back into the cab and that will be a better setup for me during the winter.

cheers

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts