What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow with custom HG LED (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey snap i'll post later on about your LED's :)

quick couple of shots of the haze that has been in there a couple of weeks on the scrog. looks happy but i was expecting more stretch (maybe there still will be) and the canopy is a little sparse as yet.
picture.php

picture.php

VG

Snuff

Hello VG!
Your experience with LEDs is very interesting and I have a question for you.

Do you know leds ratio in your 104W led panel?
If no, could you make a picture of your panel so we can see which colors of leds it contains.

Here is for example my LED panel, it lacks green leds, so I need to know how many greens to add.
Leds ratio:18x 420nm, 30x 460nm, 18x 610nm, 30x 630nm, 180x 660nm, 12x 730nm.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi snuff, i'll try and take a pic - i think its about 70% red, 15%blue and 10% green - but the ratios were balanced with a quantum sensor so the number of led's doesnt correspond to the percentages. there are quite a few far red LED's in there (the ones that look like they arent working)
i tried some of the sharksbreath that i grew under this light the other day, and havig grown this same cut under hps, cmh and a 2nd generation LED with additional UV, the buds from under this custom light are imo as good as ive smoked of this cut. of course the yellowing will help the taste but even when dry they are incredibly sticky and smell stronger than ever before - so im very happy with it.

i know there is a big sh1tstorm around HGLED atm and tbh i dont know what to believe about it all - but anyone who says the lights dont work is talking out of their arse.

VG

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ by far red, do you mean infrared? I have 2 of the 1st gen 63 watt and they have 12 empty looking led's in them. I thought they were infrared and just for heat, was considering getting 12 630 nm reds from knna and swap em.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah thats right yesum, infra-red. afaik this part of the spectrum is what stimulates flowering and also is thought to help resin production, so not sure if replacing them would be a good idea. knna should know though.

also the ratio of far red to red in the lower canopy is one controlling factor of stretch. im trying to get more info on that atm

VG

VG

Snuff

VG, I have analyzed a variety of scientific researches and topics on growers forums about grow lights and I think that this led's color ratio (in the table below) can be effective, and I want to try it out later. Quantity of leds is for chinese led panels: 300W, 150W, 120W, 100W.

diodes_en.png

Spectral bands of light have the following physiological values:
280-320 nm: is harmful (UV-B, helps to produce more THC);
320-400: regulatory role to a few percent;
400-500 nm ("blue"): is needed for photosynthesis and regulation;
500-600 nm ("green"): useful for photosynthesis optically thick sheet, the lower tiers, thick crop plants due to the high penetrating power;
600-700 nm ("red"): a pronounced effect on photosynthesis, development and regulation processes;
700-750 nm (far red): a pronounced regulatory effect, quite a few per cent in the total spectrum.
1200-1600 nm: is absorbed by the intra-and extracellular water increases the rate of thermal chemical reactions.

Here are some interesting links on scientific articles to understand which and how much light plants need.

SPECTRAL COMPOSITION OF LIGHT AND GROWING OF PLANTS IN CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENTS
http://www.controlledenvironments.org/Light1994Conf/1_3_Tikhomirov/Tikhomirov text.htm

OPTIMIZATION OF LAMP SPECTRUM FOR VEGETABLE GROWTH
http://www.controlledenvironments.org/Light1994Conf/1_4_Prikupets/Prikupets text.htm

GENERAL LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOSYNTHESIS
http://www.controlledenvironments.org/Light1994Conf/1_1_Geiger/Geiger text.htm

Growing plants under artificial light as a way to identify potential
plant productivity
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://perchina.narod.ru/boev3.htm

Growing plants under artificial light in greenhouses
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.greenhouses.ru/Svetokultura

Photosynthetic Response of Cannabis sativa L. to Variations in
photosynthetic photon flux densities, temperature and CO2 conditions
http://home.olemiss.edu/~suman/PhysiologyandMol.Biol.2008.pdf

Dr.NO

I thought green light did nothing for photosynthesis and that's why people use green lights for going into the garden when the lights are off during 12/12. Is it different with LEDS or something to do with the mix of colors? Thanks.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey four and twenty - lets hope it stays fun! - the first one shown above has been flowering for 2.5 weeks and i'm going from thinking it wasnt going to fill out enough, to worrying if its just going to keep growing for the next 6 weeks!

Dr.No - as well as snuff's link you could check out this thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=192264

i snapped a pic of the second haze i repotted and screened up a week ago
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey mate im not going to talk about it here. there was a thread about it but it got deleted.
ive always tried to stay away from personal stuff and all this partisan crap that surrounds different equipment and grow methods. its easy to find info these days if you want to though.
---

ive got some haze pollen coming on stream from the male i got. im not that excited about making more haze seeds as it supposedly doesnt breed very true at all for its desirable traits, but ill make some i guess. im quite into doing some crosses with it though

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
right, ive officially stopped worrying that haze6 is not going to fill out the screen - ive now moved on to worrying that it's going to grow too much :D

here she is at 3 weeks. ive tied a few buds down after the photo and i have a few inches of height left in the cab. she looks pretyy happy. i have used a very light soil mix for this plant and am happy to see no clawing of the leaves.
usually i add 4g N guano and 8g of P guano in each litre of soil.
for lighter feeding strains like blueberry i use about 2g N guano and 8g P guano.
for the haze i tried 1g/litre of N guano and 5g /litre P guano for veg but there was still a bit of clawing so the flowering mix is 0.5g/litre N guano and 5g/litre of P guano (in additions to the compost in the soil mix. so basically haze seems happy (so far) with a good soil without hardy any ferts - im using the N guano at 1 eighth of the normal rate!
picture.php

VG

Looking good mate. I reckon its gonna outgrow that screen though if it will go another 12 weeks. You thought about adding some chicken wire around the edges going upwards to train extra growth? Cant wait to see the end results of this grow.

Peace,

Tel...:wave:

Scrogerman

Veteran
Great job Scrogging the Hze like that Verd, fairplay man lookin good! I cant wait to see how it finishes up. have you stopped training yet? or you gonna do a little adjusting?;)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey boots! yeah it's gonna be some time in the new year! sheesh.

terry the trich - you may be right about the haze getting too big. always a tough call with new strains and the haze is always going to be a challenge indoors - but im fairly used to flying blind as i run new genetics all the time - recently ive been pretty lucky and gotten away with all of them.
i dont add any extra screen up the edges but i do like scrogs to get a little bit of height above the screen. i think of a good scrog as a box full of colas rather than a flat plate of buds.

scrogerman - not sure about more training - lets say i'll play it by ear :tiphat: its quite a different grow habit im learning with the haze. its budded up pretty quick and is not madly stretching any more - but it doesnt seem to have topped out yet....

cheers

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks cheesebuds - yeah im looking forward to that too - as long as i can still fit her in the cab!

VG

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Hello VG,
Awesome pics! I too have purchased an LED light. Its a 90w UFO from Prosource, & am thinking about the Jumbo 180w UFO. The 90w is supposed to be inline with a 400w HPS, & the Jumbo 180 is supposed to be equal to a 600w HPS. I was wondering what you think of these units? I was also wondering what you think about changing the light schedule of 12/12, to 13/11? I forgot where I read it, but I heard it may be beneficial.
I am flowering in a 4x4 tent. I have two CFL reflector bowls hanging on the sides of the tent for side growth, or lower branches.
What HPS output is your unit supposed to be inline with?

Latest posts

Latest posts