What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Ventilation 101

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If u think they will fit then it's all good. I just know most of us want more headroom for our grows, so I brought that up for you to think on it.

kingape

If u think they will fit then it's all good. I just know most of us want more headroom for our grows, so I brought that up for you to think on it.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Like the HPS bulbs with an air cooled box, is there something similar that can be done for LED?

I was thinking like what if a glass screen is placed under the LED, but then the ceiling fan won't work...anything similar?

Three Berries

You could get some heat sinks and using thermal glue attach to the top of the LED so you can get heat out of it faster. really depends on the ambient temp. Winter time here and I add a extra LED with a temp controller to boost the temp.

Reactions: Gry

kingape

You could get some heat sinks and using thermal glue attach to the top of the LED so you can get heat out of it faster. really depends on the ambient temp. Winter time here and I add a extra LED with a temp controller to boost the temp.
Thanks!

That does seem doable, but the LED's I have, the strips are already encased with a heatsink and glass.

Thanks for chiming in :)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
This is important so I feel i should share. I never had problems with heat from modern leds, but they do need more distance to the plant than most of us think they need!

Three Berries

Maybe with strip lights you could run some clear tubing on the tops and run water thought the tubing. If you have enough vertical rise and temp differential between tent and room you could make it self circulating with no need for pumps or pressure. Thermosyphon

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It depends a lot on your led model (surface, diodes type, lenses and power) but should be easily 40-50 cm or more at 650W. That's like 1+ to 1.5 feet.

kingape

It depends a lot on your led model (surface, diodes type, lenses and power) but should be easily 40-50 cm or more at 650W. That's like 1+ to 1.5 feet.
Yep, that's what I'm accounting for too, will get the cabinet height to 5 ft probably!

Three Berries

Here's a Mars Hydro light spacing sheet. Your mileage may vary....

TS_series_led_grow_lights_dimming_and_light_distance.jpg

kingape

Hi!
What are some good options for daisy connecting the exhaust fans of tents?

I have 3 tents, 1 for Motherplants/Clones
Screenshot from 2023-01-20 15-17-46.png
(4x4) and 2 for flower( 5x5).

All the tents will have their own exhaust fans, how do I connect these fans together so all the exhaust is driven out through a duct through the exhaust window?

Will I need an additional fan to pull the air once it is exhausted from the tents in the duct?

Any resources?

I am just attaching a drawing of the grow space I have for reference

The walls are concrete walls and the dark thick black line's I have are partition walls made of OSB Board.

I live in a hot and dry environment and the temps easily 40C here, the AC I have is a 24000 BTU AC.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the setup?

I am doing a SOG grow with 2.25 plants/sq foot in a 4x4 tray in a 5x5 tent

Three Berries

If all the fans are going into one duct then make sure it is sized to handle all three at once. Could you exhaust into the room then have a room exhaust to the outside and the AC cooling incoming air?

It's going to take a lot of air flow with 40C temps. Water is a great heat soak and moderator if you have the room to store it where it is exposed to the heat, or where it can shed the heat.

kingape

If all the fans are going into one duct then make sure it is sized to handle all three at once. Could you exhaust into the room then have a room exhaust to the outside and the AC cooling incoming air?

It's going to take a lot of air flow with 40C temps. Water is a great heat soak and moderator if you have the room to store it where it is exposed to the heat, or where it can shed the heat.
Unfortunately the AC cannot be shifted.

Yes I agree it's a task to maintain temps indoor.

I am planning to install thick slab insulations on the window to absorb the heat coming through and I am hoping the AC takes care of the rest.

I am hoping to get the tents connected to each other by 6 inch flex ducts and then have one other fan throw it of the room through the exhaust window. Any idea on how to check for pipe diameters to see if they can handle the air flow?

Three Berries

If you are only running one tent at a time you could go that route, hooking them al together. But if you have more than one running it would not take care of the heat. You can figure just about every 90* turn cuts air flow 50% at maximum flow.

kingape

If you are only running one tent at a time you could go that route, hooking them al together. But if you have more than one running it would not take care of the heat. You can figure just about every 90* turn cuts air flow 50% at maximum flow.

I guess I will have to cut out one flowering tent and just run 1 flower and 1 veg for the mother plants

Three Berries

How many total watts of everything? That can give you an idea of how many btus of heat you need to deal with. I don't have to deal with 40C temps but I can usually maintain good VPD RH%s. with just air flow and adding humidity if needed.

kingape

How many total watts of everything? That can give you an idea of how many btus of heat you need to deal with. I don't have to deal with 40C temps but I can usually maintain good VPD RH%s. with just air flow and adding humidity if needed.
So I have 1 480W QB which I was planning to run for the mother/clones and 2 of the 1000W at wall LED's which I can dim down.

The AC is of 24000 BTU's

Three Berries

3k watts is over 10k btus. Not counting outside ambient load or the effect of evaporative cooling.

If it's really dry a swamp cooler in the room will help a lot..

kingape

3k watts is over 10k btus. Not counting outside ambient load or the effect of evaporative cooling.

If it's really dry a swamp cooler in the room will help a lot..
I do have a swamp cooler, however humidity isn't as much an issue because the plants transpire a lot and idk how the swamp cooler will blow the air inside the tent

However my main problem would be that I need to exhaust the tents directly outside the room as I cannot change the position of the AC.

On an unrelated note to ventilation, I feed my plants Jacks+Cal Nit at half their recommended ratio's and they are thriving in coco

Three Berries

Another thing you could do is make an over sized exhaust duct connecting all the tents with a large controllable fan near the exit of the building and use dampeners to throttle each tent.