What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Ventilation 101

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Would a can fan Max pro 6' adequately cool a 1000w gavita?

...possibly but an 8inch would be better.

...I assume this is for a tent and if so then it would depend on how cool the room where the tent lives is.

...in my own case I ran a 6inch CanFan Max in a 5x5 closet with a bare bulb 600HPS and the fan handled it fine and in the room with the closet i also ran a 4x4 with another 600HPS in it with a 6inch vortex style fan as well as a 5x5 veg tent with 200 plus watts of fluoro's and a 6inch squirrel cage, and a small cloning/seedstart cab with another approximately 100watts of fluoro's.

...in the winter i cooked the room by opening windows and in the summer i ran a 5000btu window ac unit.

...so I'm thinking the CanFan would work but maybe not so if you haven't spent your cash yet then I'd recommend you go with an 8inch with a speed controller.

...for the money something like this would work well and be cheap enough to replace or even to have a spare in case of an inconvenient failure.

https://vivosun.com/products/vivosu...term=4588880500710278&utm_content=Ad group #1

peace, bozo

• Love
Reactions: Gry

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
what's the best way to vent an airconditioned room without losing all the cool dry air? i live in the tropics so keeping the room cool and dry is a must to stop mould. do i vent slow and steady to allow the aircon to keep up or is there another way to achieve air exchange?

Separate the air around your lights, from the air around your plants. Or water cool the lights.

trouthugger

I am trying to re-vamp my closet grow (only one previous harvest in this space) before my next grow.

tent.jpg

My top priorities are stealth and efficiency. I am renting my home long term, my landlord comes about once a year for 10 minutes and doesn't leave my living room. That being said, I like to be prepared for the worst. I am handy but want the repairs that I'll have to do when I move out to be as minimal as possible.

My first step is figuring out my exhaust situation. I have three options:

1. Exhaust through the ceiling of closet through the attic and out of the house
2. Exhaust through the right side of the closet into the home stairway
stairs.jpg

3. Vent through the left side of the closet into an adjacent storage closet.
closets.jpg

What option do you think would be the best given my unique situation? I run a 225W LED and grow 1-2 plants at a time.

trouthugger

I am trying to re-vamp my closet grow (only one previous harvest in this space) before my next grow.

tent.jpg

My top priorities are stealth and efficiency. I am renting my home long term, my landlord comes about once a year for 10 minutes and doesn't leave my living room. That being said, I like to be prepared for the worst. I am handy but want the repairs that I'll have to do when I move out to be as minimal as possible.

My first step is figuring out my exhaust situation. I have three options:

1. Exhaust through the ceiling of closet through the attic and out of the house
2. Exhaust through the right side of the closet into the home stairway
stairs.jpg

3. Vent through the left side of the closet into an adjacent storage closet.
closets.jpg

What option do you think would be the best given my unique situation? I run a 225W LED and grow 1-2 plants at a time.
I think I'm going to cut a hole in the door and exhaust at the top of the right side door. Is there a way I can set up the ducting so that I can still open and close the door without disturbing the ducting?

xet

Incoming stoner idea.

55 gal food grade drum ($20) filled with water.
A $20 aquarium pump moves 7 gallons of air/minute. A $40 pump moves 17 gallons of air/minute.
Aquarium pumps have small tubes.
Put the intake portion of the pump in the tent. (high because heat rises)
Run the tube and air stone on the end to the bottom of the barrel.
Filtered and chilled air?
I would also experiment with 5 or 10 gallons of powdered char in the water as a smell absorbent. Replace water as needed, water onto lawn, landlord gets green yard.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Too little air input for any good size tent. Also, you would soon have the water sitting at the average temperature of the environment, so not much cooling happening. Yet, a lot of humidity going into the tent. Sounds like a bad ideea to me.

xet

Setup a dehumidifier next to the barrel.
The water is not in the tent.
We were talking about a tent with a 225w LED so any good size tent is a different topic.
How many gallons of air/minute would need to be extracted to temper the heat from a 225W LED?

Aren't you the guy who gave me the wrong electrical numbers?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would say at least 1-2 airchanges a minute should be supplied or at least available when needed. I wouldn't think those aquarium pumps will deliver same rated output when pumping a full 55gal drum height (well, depth!). So you do the math when you figure the volume of your tent, leave some leeway for pumping efficiency loss and it might work as airchange would be concerned. But, you'll find the air coming from the drum is full of humidity, basically you get same effect as bubbling some water inside of the tent, or let's say having a decorative water fountain inside. The rh will raise. But since you put all your air through that water it will bring a lot of humidity, cause it adds up fast.

Regarding the wrong electrical numbers, I don't belive, or atleast I don't know any about that. If you want to clear that up shot me a pm or something. I mean if I said something wrong, please tell me so I learn the right way.

trouthugger

If I'm venting a closet tent through the closet doors, would it be better to cut vents in a solid door or just use a louvre vent door and open the vents for intake and exhaust?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If looks doesn't matter, just do the cheapest one that provides enaugh airflow. Just make sure you are really venting as in providing enaugh fresh air, and not just moving stale air around.

kingape

Quite an interesting thread!

Learned a lot!

Please provide your suggestions to this setup that I am planning.

I have a room that is cooled by a 2 ton AC, the room isn't perfectly sealed.

I want to build 3 cabinets of (L x B x H) 5ft x 5ft x 4ft. (2 for flowering and 1 for mother and clones)

The cabinets will be made of plywood and will be painted in flat white.

The passive intake holes are of 6 inches diameter on both the sides at the bottom.

The exhaust fan attached on the top right would be of 6 inches and will have a carbon filter attached it outside the cabinet, the fan does not have a cfm rating but has only 2000 RPM listed as the tech specifications.

The plants will be watered through drip irrigation

My queries
  1. Will this be adequate airflow?
  2. I plan to install a ceiling fan that has a sweep of 600mm for airflow inside the cabinet? Is that necessary?
  3. Since I have 3 of these cabinets, how do I connect the exhaust of the 3 so they can be all exhausted outside the room? Otherwise the hot air will be exhausted inside the room
  4. I plan to do a SOG style grow with 36 clones in a 4x4 tray in 6 inch pots and as per my estimates the watering per day for the plants would be around 500-700 ml, will this cause humidity issues inside the cabinet?
  5. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• exhaust fan.jpg
    exhaust fan.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 67

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think u need more height. Then a better exhaust fan. That is only ok for a small bathroom, and most of those are noisey or they will soon be if u run then 24/7. If you get a real exhaust fan, you can put it in the veg box and draw air from there, and use the intakes of the veg box to draw air from the flower rooms. That way the air in the veg room will be more humid than in the flowering rooms. And u only have one exhaust run from the 3 boxes. Other than that u can use 3 smaller exhaust fans and run them seperately out the room.

mack 10

Veteran
Awful lot of reading to do. What size extraction fan would be needed for a 12 x 600w hps grow room
rough rule of thumb, for every 7-10x 600w lights youll need a 12" ruck or whatever brand.
and atleast double that on passive intake, depends on your season too

kingape

I think u need more height. Then a better exhaust fan. That is only ok for a small bathroom, and most of those are noisey or they will soon be if u run then 24/7. If you get a real exhaust fan, you can put it in the veg box and draw air from there, and use the intakes of the veg box to draw air from the flower rooms. That way the air in the veg room will be more humid than in the flowering rooms. And u only have one exhaust run from the 3 boxes. Other than that u can use 3 smaller exhaust fans and run them seperately out the room.
What's a recommended height?

I did not want to increase the height as I wanted it to look like a cabinet

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would go with at least 5 ft (but more if possible), I would rather take off a ft from the depth if needed to make it look more natural.
With low ceiling you can only grow small to medium plants, for bigger plants you would need at least 7-8 feet. 4 feet you can't grow any good canopy under that, since lights, pots and distance from light takes a lot of space..

kingape

I would go with at least 5 ft (but more if possible), I would rather take off a ft from the depth if needed to make it look more natural.
With low ceiling you can only grow small to medium plants, for bigger plants you would need at least 7-8 feet. 4 feet you can't grow any good canopy under that, since lights, pots and distance from light takes a lot of space..

I dont want to grow big plants but rather lot of small plants (SOG)

I am growing 36 plants in 16 sq feet under 650W of LED.

Latest posts

Latest posts