What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

veggie gardens

DaPurps

My veggie patch is steady pumpin' out groceries everyday.

picture.php

I put in too many squash plants and am getting avg of 2 per day. Giving most away at this point. Tomatoes are over 6ft now, just starting to get some of the full size ones turing red. Im done with peas for the year now. Had my first ear of corn, lots more on the way. I picked 2 small bell peppers too.

supermanlives

Veteran
ya i am knee deep in squash plants . mine are just starting to fruit. i am just gonna leave the extras on the neighbors porches . they have been warned some might only make it to their mailboxes. i love crookeneck sliced thin coated with olive oil and a bit of salt then grilled . man thats good. leave the baby seeds in for a real nutty flavor. crookneck is my favorite

cravin morehead

Veteran
garden is really kicking butt now!! its been kicking out zukes and patty pans daily. shouldn't be long until the chiles, tomatos, okra, tomatillos, and eggplants are doing the same... rotating neem and BT weekly is keeping the bad critters away... can't wait for the corn and meds to be ready!!!

looking good everyone!! keep it up!! looking forward to seeing some more harvests...

cm

maxmurder

Veteran
ha corn! gotta love it, planted some last week (laggin) doin well, so's the poison ivy on my arms, hands, inbetween fingers, neck and yeeesssss- my johnson. note to self- don't bother aimin' when working outside, just unzip and let it flow, no touch!
better be some killer fuckin corn!!
hahahahahahhhhhaaaa. nice gardens you guys.
peas n carrots,
mm

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
picture.php

Been pickin beans for bout 2 weeks now, but this is by far my biggest harvest so far this year :dance013: Also, first zucchini, & a healthy snow pea harvest. We let our first couple zucs get big enough to shred into this killa zuc bread recipe :rasta: I don't know anyone who doesn't drooled over it :headbange We live on the down town side of a LARGE suburban area, & I've had deer worse than ever this summer :wallbash:

I

imnotkrazy

I dug up some of the Purple Viking potatoes and actually took a pic before they got eaten this time. They are tasty and the texture is great - waxier than russets, pleasantly firm when baked or nuked. White fleshed good eats for certain!

picture.php

Cucumbers will be starting to overtake me soon. I picked the earliest one to test today and it was way better than the farm stand, but I'm probably just biased :) Pickles and fresh frozen cukes for after the season galore.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
just starting to see cukes, some peas, strawberries, zuch's flowering. potatoes are rockin, corn slow goin. tomatoes, tomatillos, and onions on deck.
took cuttings off the tomatoes for a second crop(?) if possible. have had less than two weeks sunshine and temps below 60 until mid-June...cool sunless spring two years running.
north lat. +45*.

To the people who've grown corn: how many plants in what density did you go with? Did you have a good amount of pollination, or a lot of missed tassles?

maxmurder

Veteran
we've never grown corn before so we asked the nursery lady- she said plant all 12 in a 3' x3' area to help em stay up, super windy somedays...

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Haven't grown it in years but the old advice was the larger a block you can manage the better. Corn is entirely wind pollinated so fat square blocks are generally the way to go. There's apparently a sweet corn that'll finish in 40 days flat but I've yet to find seeds.

Midnight

Veteran
To the people who've grown corn: how many plants in what density did you go with? Did you have a good amount of pollination, or a lot of missed tassles?

The more corn you can grow then the better it will pollinate. Ideally you want four rows at least 10 feet long spaced about three feet between rows and 1 foot between plants in the row. This is my corn last year.

picture.php

Midnight

Veteran
Don't know what happened. Can a mod delete one of these posts please?

Harvest update everyone? This is what I picked this morning.

picture.php

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
my very small outdoor garden is producing these well...

IMG_04841.jpg

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
My first ever butter nut squash! 7/20/2011 I hope I didn't pick it too early, but we haven't had any rain in nearly a month.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts