What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

veggie gardens

cravin morehead

Veteran
just thought i'd put up some pics of our veggie garden. going all organic (as best i can). i amended a weed overgrown area of our yard. we used bone meal, blood meal, local hot compost, kelp meal, dolomite lime, greensand, ewc, and a little sand. everything is real young still, but should fill in nicely. so far we're running 2 plants each of each variety. 6 types of heirloom tomatoes, 6 types chiles, green and orange bell peppers, japanese eggplant, zukes, yellow zukes, crook-neck zukes, patty-pan squash, tomatillos, malabar spinach, green/yellow green beans, basil, thyme, dill, blackberry, blueberry, arugala, mesclun, and 12 corns... oh ya, and some unkown to us, type of squash. a med plant or two will probably make it in there too. please feel free to post your pics and/or gardening advice. Lets see 'em!!

cravin morehead

Veteran
wow!! so me and mrs. babba are the only ones who have gardens we're proud of?? thought canna gardens and veggie gardens went hand in hand!! guess not

my veggie garden is so so sad this year. i dont know whats goin' on, the weather i guess. its been real gloomy this spring and the garden is just small still..
73's Herb.

cravin morehead

Veteran
mine are just starting to really take off. started slow too. might be the weather. its been nice here in so-cal, but maybe a little on the cool side of normal. im having real probs with my cukes, they turn white and wither away. i think the soil isn't warm enough yet...
thanks for posting

cm

cravin morehead

Veteran
thought i'd update this for... well i guess, pretty much just me and a couple of others. really surprises me that no one else grows there own, food stuff. what a shame given the times we're in nowadays!! you guys already have the knowledge and love of growing. seeds cost practically nothing, starter plants are cheap( like $4 or $5 for two), and tomatoes clone just like buds do (alot of others also). a 'med' plant with red christmas tree ornaments on it, blend right in with big tomato plants. i hope all that are gardening, produce bumper crops of tasty, rewarding, healthy, and free food!! to those that don't, theres more to a good quality of life than MMJ.
sorry for the rant, but i just feel its such a waste of knowledge and money...

supermanlives

Veteran
i have always had a garden. but i aint on a farm now so my space is limited. i have more concrete than soil.everything on my driveway has wheels LOL. just got my soaker hoses set up for the garden.

cravin morehead

Veteran
see, that's what im talking about!! you're growing some food to the best of your current situation. that's good to hear. what are you growin besides cukes and tomatos?? we're making a type of 'scrog' for my buddy's yard; it's all concrete. the screen is lattice installed horizontally about 7'-8' off the ground. he'll grow in containers on one end, and we'll train 'em to grow along the screen. hopefully, most of the fruits will hang below it. good luck to you on your harvests, all of them. lets see your veggies...

cm

supermanlives

Veteran
mymagicplant.--- i cant wait for em to pop. i also wonder whats in the can. i can see vermiculite and looks like cotton on bottom. the plant is supposed to stay in the tiny container. the others will be cut open and transplanted . very interesting concept

DaPurps

I got a garden going outback..

I have sweet corn 5feet tall with 3 ears on the stalk already
I have tomatoe plants bellybutton high with tons of green tomatoes
Carrots with bushy green tops
Alaskan Pea's that are 7feet tall, get a load from them everyday
Squash and Zukes forming now, everywhere, will have some fresh in days
Chili's still green
Broccolli got too hot and sucked
Sunflowers in full bloom
And a pumpkin vine 12feet long
Cherry tree that is ripe right now !
Massive Concord Grape vine that is just starting to plump up on the grapes.

Oh yea Cucumbers along the fence, but they are only 8inches or so tall yet..
Bell peppers. I have Orange, Green, and Purple going, none fruiting yet.

I grew veggies before weed :)

@supermanlives
Maybe you could do some kind of raised table beds? You could maybe do a row of 4x4's with a 2x4 raised bed style frame. I'm not sure if the 4x4's would provide enough insulation from the roof. It would depend on the kinds of temps you're working with. Maybe it you used white landscape fabric as a mulch, that would help.

I gotta think there's ways to get around your heat issues. Intensive organic rooftop gardening is the future.

I've got a tub with 10 gallons of soil. About all my situation warrants right now. Just two pepper plants and two strawberry plants. We'll see how it goes. I didn't cut my compost with enough perlite, or enough potting soil, so the soil has been waterlogged the past week. I shouldn't have planted while I was baked. We'll see how it turns out. I just won't water as much at a time again. Last week I really dunked it because I wanted to get the compost tea I was using to all parts of the soil to really inoculate it.

Hoping for some TLO fruit.

I

imnotkrazy

My potatoes, corn, maters, and otherds are loving the socal weather. Life is good for them too.

potatoes6411.jpg

i was able to harvest a few crooknecks for dinner the other day, i also had enough peas for a fried rice meal. i am loving the garden finally. it has taken off real nice.

73's Herb

supermanlives

Veteran
@supermanlives
Maybe you could do some kind of raised table beds? You could maybe do a row of 4x4's with a 2x4 raised bed style frame. I'm not sure if the 4x4's would provide enough insulation from the roof. It would depend on the kinds of temps you're working with. Maybe it you used white landscape fabric as a mulch, that would help.

I gotta think there's ways to get around your heat issues. Intensive organic rooftop gardening is the future.

I've got a tub with 10 gallons of soil. About all my situation warrants right now. Just two pepper plants and two strawberry plants. We'll see how it goes. I didn't cut my compost with enough perlite, or enough potting soil, so the soil has been waterlogged the past week. I shouldn't have planted while I was baked. We'll see how it turns out. I just won't water as much at a time again. Last week I really dunked it because I wanted to get the compost tea I was using to all parts of the soil to really inoculate it.

Hoping for some TLO fruit.

thanks for the input.i have been wanting to do a rooftop garden for years and was thinking the same things as you. i first heard about it from a chinese friend whos family had been doing rooftop for many years due to space .

supermanlives

Veteran
potatoes are so cheap i dont bother with my limited space. i do have some in the compost pile growing tho. maybe i should put in some baby taters or fingerlings ect stuff you dont always see in the store. what kind you growing? ^^^^

I

imnotkrazy

Russian Banana fingerlings and Viking Purples were the choices. I haven't seen either of them at the grocery or farm stores around here and wanted to give them a try. That is the good thing about having enough room for some experimental crops. 15 holes should be enough to tell me if I like either of the two kinds.

The purples are supposed to get large. The bananas are said to be primo.

cravin morehead

Veteran
i knew there was more of you out there... nice gardens there. imnotkrazy- sweet layout. how long has your garden been growing?? i might try some potatoes in the fall, part of my fall plantings. got any tips on 'em??
hey supe- sounds like you got alot going on, nice. keep us posted on the rooftop garden too. sounds really cool. would like to run some ghost chilis too. good luck.
da purps- sounds real nice. lots of good veggies there. i too, grew veggies before buds. grew up working in my parents garden, then added my special plants when i was 15. took my mom a while before she realized what they were. haha!

keep this thread going!! i would really like to see how all these progress...

:headbange

cm

Latest posts

Latest posts