What's new

Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Tinctures, Oils, E-Cigs and E-Liquids

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i found what i was looking for. double boiler method basically. the papa kief method.

this is what i thought i would try

I was reading various extraction methodologies the other day and kept going deeper and deeper within the science. The spectrum of possibilities is endless. I chose 3 methods to investigate, Butane extraction, Alcohol extraction, and Vegetable glycerin.

The butane extraction process can grow very expensive and is not the greatest extraction method, the alcohol, although a great method has a few pitfalls namely it's flammable and it needs to go into the oven for every recipe that takes a reasonable amount of time, and lastly the Vegetable Glycerin... Very interesting, some people say to heat it, others do not but the consensus is that it takes about 6 weeks in a sealed jar that is shaken ever day and kept a few degrees above room temperature. I decided I would try an experiment.

Double boiler method for Vegetable Glycerin Extract (Papa Kief - Collective Consultant and Cannabis Activist. (619) 365-5240 for pictures)

This is a recipe used to create a vegetable glycerin based tincture to be used in drop form. It is fully activated and need only to be consumed by placing a few drops under the tongue to be immediately felt or ingested what is swallowed will subsequently be absorbed by the body in the GI tract.

Ingredients (Variable in increments of 8.5ml glycerin per gram)
1/8 oz well ground high quality cannabis
1/8 cup food grade Vegetable Glycerin (commonly found at drugstores and pharmacies)

Tools

Cheesecloth
A glass jar and lid
A glass dropper bottle (for dosing)
Large pot
Oven Mitts

Method

Grind the cannabis as finely as possible and place it in the glass jar, pour over the Glycerin and stir it all in

Seal the jar. Heat the pot of water to a simmer and place the jar into the center. The level of the water should be about the same level as the contents of the jar. This will make sure the jar does not float and fall. Let the mixture cook for 6 hours or you can do it longer shaking the contents of the jar often and adding water to the pot as needed to maintain a level of boiling water. Once this is done you will want to pour your mixture through cheesecloth into a bowl. After you have poured it through squeeze the excess from the cheesecloth careful not to break it. I will suggest using gloves for this, however I didnt and I will assure you, this stuff can go through your skin and make you Super Stoned. Just a heads up.
i will add several drops off everclear afterwords to thin it slightly for vaping in my ecig :tiphat:

EDIT: added comments at the beginning of the method as to why the originator of this method preferred it.

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Veteran
btw, i just modified my Vanilla Bourbon VG/PG 0 nic e-liquid. i added cream flavoring to it. still needs a little tweaking and now i am considering adding a light cigar flavor to the mix.

should be fun coming up with some cover up flavors for vaping in public :D

anyway, here's what i did

Bourbon Vanilla Cream (5.2 ml)
2 ml PG
2 ml VG
.5 ml Whiskey flavoring
.5 ml Vanilla flavoring
.2 ml Cream flavoring
7 drops everclear

GP73LPC

Veteran
well today i have been reading more and collected more tincture recipes

enjoy :tiphat:

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

Marijuana (Duh) - how much and what it is can be up to you. I use my "vapor poo" or the leftover material from my Volcano. Sometimes I throw shake in there too. You can leave in stems and it doesn't have to ground up all that much. Don't use less than 8 grams of material per 16 oz of glycerin though, otherwise you'll have a very weak mix.

Food-Grade Glycerin - This is typically sold in health food stores but can be purchased at Whole Foods or similar markets. 16 oz cost me just about $10 at Whole Foods, but honestly that was about 5 bucks too much. Make sure it's FOOD GRADE though, it will say on the label. 16 ounces of glycerin is enough for one nice batch.

A Crock Pot - We actually bought one TODAY at Target for 7 bucks, and it's a small version, which is perfect for this project. We have also bought a larger, older model for canna butter and other pot recipes.

Cheese Cloth - If you don't know what it is, ask your mom tell her you need to do some baking. You can get it at any supermarket.

A Rubber Band

Bottling Stuff - Small bottles with droppers are CHEAP at places like Cost Plus and Organize It.

OK here we go:

1. Pour your glycerin in the crock-pot
2. Mix in marijuana material. The sticks in my picture are Vanilla Beans that I threw in for some flavor. You can try other things.
3. Stir - you will need to stir periodically during the process, every hour or so. You can leave it over night, but the first thing you should do is stir it the next day.
4. Cover, turn pot on low
5. Leave in pot for several hours, however long is up to you, overnight is probably best, but a good 8 hour cure is all you really need.
6. When you decide the time is right, turn off the pot and let the mixture cool, but don't let it get cold, it will be easier to pour if it's warm.
7. Once the mixture is cooler, take your cheese cloth and RUBBER BAND it over your pouring container. I made the mistake of forgetting this step at first, very dumb.
8. Strain your mixture through the cheese cloth, once it drains squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can, you can really get a lot out of it.
9. BOTTLE!

A couple droppers under your tongue and you will be in a great place.

I prefer a glycerin tincture myself. The only way to get it as potent as i like however it to start with hash or BHO/ISO extract as you can get more THC into the same volume of glycerin this way. You could always do multiple runs, ie use however much you can fit in the glycerin, then filter, then do it again with fresh herb and the same glycerin. For insomnia i recomend using vape leftovers as they usually have a good amount of the couch lock still in them, or you could pre-heat your weed in the oven at 275 for about 10 minutes.

Glycerin does come on faster but take longer to get the thc into it. How did you do your extraction with time or heat? I recommend both .

I do it in a mason jar with the lid on loosely and use a coffe warmer on it for a few hours daily with some good shaking in-between over a period of about 5 days. I have tried longer but it didnt seem to get much more potent.

I usually throw some lemon zest in the mix as it greatly adds to the flavor.

You can cut your glycerin tincture with propylene glycol or grain alcohol and use it in an atomizer type device such as an e-cig / e-cigar or medical nebulizer.

Briefly, this how I make glycerin based tincture (adjust the quatities for your own propotion)-

1/8th oz of semi-finely ground cannabis (slightly more granular then you would grind coffee)
4-5 oz of glycerin

Process

Preheat oven to 120f with pyrex measuring cup containing glycerin. After it's been heated, it will be less dense and more fluid.
Remove pyrex cup from oven once fluid and stir in ground plant matter.
Heat oven to 248f immediately after you pull the cup of glycerin out.
Cover cup with tinfoil. Wait for most of the grounds to leave the top of the glycerin.
After the grounds settle a bit, your oven should be nice and ready. It's not super important so don't wait forever.
Cook the pyrex cup for for exactly 50 minutes.
After 50 minutes, let it set for about 10 minutes and stir. Use a little cool water on the sides of the cup to cool the contents down so you can pour it into, ideally, a dark amber bottle or jar.

I will be publishing a comprehensive guide in the near future on my website. I've made thousands of batches over the years but essentially, this what it's about:

* Freeze your buds for an hour or two
* Grind them finely using a coffee grinder
* Tap the grounds onto some tinfoil
* Spread the grounds evenly -- no higher than approx 4mm
* Fold the tinfoil over 3-4 times to keep the air off your grounds

* Throw it in a pre-heated oven (see approx cook times from previous post as a guideline)
* Warm a portion of glycerin until it stirs easily before your baking is done (pyrex cup for smaller batches. Pyrex bowl for bigger batches.)
* Remove your tinfoil package with hot grounds from the oven
* Scrape your grounds from the tinfoil into your glycerin as soon as possible (it's easier to scrape while it's warm)
* Stir for a few minutes
* Enjoy

I wouldn't bother straining the grounds as they're still useful. My general rule is 1/8oz of grounds per 150ml of glycerin (or alcohol) as a starting point. One caveat with glycerin is that if taken straight, it will make you shit like crazy if you eat too much of it so it's preferable to make it as potent as possible so you can avoid this undesired effect by using less glycerin and more grounds.

I hope that's helpful.

GP73LPC

Veteran
well i still need a cheese cloth before i can hot process so that will be delayed a day or two.

in the meantime i am going to also create a cold processed VG based THC tincture as described earlier in this thread where i posted GrayWolf's recipe. 90 days, but supposedly is the best tasting. just gonna make a small batch of that, but i will start it tonight ;)

GP73LPC

Veteran
thought i would share this chart i found from over at the e-cigarette forum.

for those of you vaping with an ecig this chart shows what ohm carts you should use depending on the voltage of your pen.

GP73LPC

Veteran
ok, cold process thc vg tincture has begun. 90 days to go, with a shaking every day !!!!

1/8 oz. of finely ground northern lights in a mason jar

added roughly 1 oz of USP food grade vegetable glycerin.

decided to bump it notch with a little kief that was hanging out in the bottom of my grinder

as Emeril says "BAM !!!"

after a good shaking

hobb3s93

GP73LPC do have any experience with adding bho into ur pg/vg mix rather than flower?

i tried using ever clear instead of pg/vg mix last time , didnt work very well to say the least, so i kinda wanna avoid using any this time around. hoping theres an alternative to softening my bho.

although the stuff i was planning on using for my capsules has just been winterzied and filtered so it is still a liquid. can anyone chime in on if i can mix the abosolute with my pg/vg mix once its full evaporated but still runny? if that makes any sense

once again man thanx for all the info!!:tiphat::tiphat:

calientecarlos

Veteran
Great thread!! Thx GP73LPC!! Tons of great info!! Been trying to get my ejuice mixture dialed. I'll be trying 70/30 pg/vg with 7% green dragon this next go round. I've had decent luck with 50/50 pg/vg 30% dry ice kief baked @ 250f 45 min. lots of room for improvement however...

GP73LPC

Veteran
GP73LPC do have any experience with adding bho into ur pg/vg mix rather than flower?

i tried using ever clear instead of pg/vg mix last time , didnt work very well to say the least, so i kinda wanna avoid using any this time around. hoping theres an alternative to softening my bho.

although the stuff i was planning on using for my capsules has just been winterzied and filtered so it is still a liquid. can anyone chime in on if i can mix the abosolute with my pg/vg mix once its full evaporated but still runny? if that makes any sense

once again man thanx for all the info!!
tiphat.gif
tiphat.gif

i do not yet have that experience, but the guys in krunch bubbles thread are vaping pure BHO i believe.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=222994

BHO will be next on my list to do after i get these tinctures down ;)

i've read his thread and if memory serves me correct, they basically heat the BHO enough to melt it into a cartridge. would have to read again to get more specific and detailed oriented.

however, with that said, there are youtube vids on creating BHO tinctures :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
Great thread!! Thx GP73LPC!! Tons of great info!! Been trying to get my ejuice mixture dialed. I'll be trying 70/30 pg/vg with 7% green dragon this next go round. I've had decent luck with 50/50 pg/vg 30% dry ice kief baked @ 250f 45 min. lots of room for improvement however...

thanks carlos...

could you describe your dry ice kief method a little more as that is a avenue i could go down rather easily. (just bought bubble bags and am collecting trim).

so do you just bake the kief and then add to your mix? any wait time?

GP73LPC

Veteran
doesn't this look wonderful.

looks like a very nice thc tincture, but it's not. :(

it's another e-liquid flavor i created this evening.

Caramel Cream - 0mg

2 ml PG
2 ml VG
0.3 ml Cream
0.7 ml Caramel
7 drops everclear

calientecarlos

Veteran
Yeah buddy ya shake it, and then ya bake it! I get 3-4 lbs free dry ice from waltonmart with a frozen pizza, and it comes broken in pieces:) I use my 190 micron bag bc it's the only bag I didn't lose yet. Add half dry ice in bag in bucket. Add trim or what have ya and top of with rest of dry ice. Shake bag in bucket. Scrape kief out of bucket with card. Add kief to desired pgvg mix and bake in foil covered jar 2/3 full 250f 45min shake n stir n let cool every 15 min. Most ergonomic method i've found. I'm gonna try mixing wet bubble hash into pgvg soon too! PotNerd ALERT!!

GP73LPC

Veteran
Yeah buddy ya shake it, and then ya bake it! I get 3-4 lbs free dry ice from waltonmart with a frozen pizza, and it comes broken in pieces:) I use my 190 micron bag bc it's the only bag I didn't lose yet. Add half dry ice in bag in bucket. Add trim or what have ya and top of with rest of dry ice. Shake bag in bucket. Scrape kief out of bucket with card. Add kief to desired pgvg mix and bake in foil covered jar 2/3 full 250f 45min shake n stir n let cool every 15 min. Most ergonomic method i've found. I'm gonna try mixing wet bubble hash into pgvg soon too! PotNerd ALERT!!

thanks carlos, you da man !!!

i'm gonna try this method in the future :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
ok, so i made a little dry ice kief this afternoon. has some plant material in it as i was using a 220 micron bag and i prolly shook it too long. so its a little on the green side.

didn't have all that much trim, but came up with several grams of hash, pressed into .5 gram tablets.

here's a pic of a few of the pressed tablets and a micro shot of the kief.

so anyway, i have also started the double boiler method of creating a VG based, hot processed, thc tincture. 4 hours and 45 mins still to cook.

i used 3.5 grams of dried, finely ground northern lights. then i ground up and tossed in another .5 grams of kief :woohoo:, topped off with roughly 17 ml of VG and started to cook.

should be able to sample my first thc tincture attempt late this evening :woohoo:

GP73LPC

Veteran
hope it turns out all right. i already added another 3 ml of VG as it was so evaporated within the jar i was afraid of burning the bud. all looks good again, 3 hours til done time :dance:

EDIT: that was post 5000 for me :eek: oh well, it's all fun and good. have learned a shitload and taught a shitload :woohoo: btw, i go way back to OG and CW. so glad to have ICMAG today :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
while my thc tinc cooks, i am vaping some mountain dew through my ego. i am addicted to this flavor. :mad:

if i am not careful i am blowing through a couple ml's every 6 hours :eek: damn, at least i need some THC in there ;)

which brings me to the topic of no smell, no flavor cured weed. i am thinking for a public vaping a water cure as detailed by papakief here --> http://www.papakief.com/2010/11/how-to-make-nearly-odorlesstasteless.html just might be the ticket.

of course at home i want to smell and taste everything our beloved plant produces, but on the 5th row @ a concert no smell, no tastes, except for mountain dew is what i am talking about !!!!

gonna have to try this. for anyone who has cured this way and made a tincture, speak up. what were your results like?

GP73LPC

Veteran
SUCCESS !!!

WOW, i'm high as fuck

def needs some flavor. tastes a little bit of chlorophyll (not too strong however) and gives a nice vapor cloud. the potency fucking rocks @!!!!

keep in mind this is str8 VG and northern lights, with a splash of everclear. once i start adding flavors, i should be able to tweak and dial this in more.

krunchbubble was right!!! THIS IS SO BADASS !!!!

what a great fucking way to get high !!!

we need at VAPE emoticon, come on ICMAG, keep up with times, lol !!!

here's the pics, coffee press didn't work worth a fuck. didn't have enough volume to press shit, so used cheesecloth, with no gloves, woohoo !!!

done after 6 hours

what was left after dumping the mason jar out

i have an idea

a second wash or green dragon for future tincture dillutions

the final product

GP73LPC

Veteran
cart, finished tincture and everclear 2nd wash.

needs a second filtering

cart is ready !!!

keep watching the toys

THC VAPOR CLOUD !!!

Latest posts

Latest posts