What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"VEGETABLE GARDENING" (for fun and nutrition)

stevr59

hey tooth paste what brand nute you ueing and what is the ppm and ph i done try diffrent strengs of gh 3 part and my leafts are truing yellow and rotting from the tips and the flower open and fall off but no fruites, so far my home made flood and drain is not working out but good news i got my 2 clones started and will sonn be putting them out side in soil.

kushedout

Looking great Route420! Those tomatoes are huge! Can't believe the plant didn't give out earlier with that staking. I was wondering what do you feed your plants with?

toothpaste100

stevr59 said:
hey tooth paste what brand nute you ueing and what is the ppm and ph i done try diffrent strengs of gh 3 part and my leafts are truing yellow and rotting from the tips and the flower open and fall off but no fruites, so far my home made flood and drain is not working out but good news i got my 2 clones started and will sonn be putting them out side in soil.

I'm using "Dutch Nutrient Formula" because I got a free sample of the stuff to use. My pH is between 6-7 and I'm not sure where my ppm is at but likely fairly low because I'm using low doses of the stuff in RO water. I think my ph might be getting too low in the last few days, so I'll adjust it tonight and try to get it back to neutral (but I thought I read tomatoes are an acid loving plant somewhere).

RuralRoute420

well my biggest tomato that had it's life cut short - weighed in @ a dissappointing 44oz's(2 3/4lbs.).

brandywine

far cry from 4lbs i wanted, lol. oh well, next year.

it taste and is built like a big ole beefsteak, very meaty and like they, "one of the best tasting tomatoes in the world."

RuralRoute420

actually the first few are really big and ugly, then they start to get a better in looks. might bring them back next year, maybe.

i really like the MOUNTAIN FRESH's that i had, but i didt grow, very tasty.

can't wait to try my burpee DELICIOUS's.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grow "early girl" tomatoes . They have a great taste and are consistently nice shaped although a bit smaller they are very consistent and super tastey. I use Hog wire that is five feet tall and i cut about a 4 ft long piece and hook the ends together to make a 5ft tall tube then stake it to the ground. The plants grow straight up through the tube and get well over six ft tall. Some seasons ive been known to stack the "tomatoe holders on top of each other and the plants will grow 10 ft without a problem. I normally get good tomatoes till late oct. and on a good season well into november if the cold stays away. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=28635&page=8&pp=30
some pretty good tomatoe plant pics part way down the page here.

G

Hi folks,

Its been awhile since I have posted any veggies. My pumpkins are a full time job an I often over-look the rest of the garden this time of year. Tomarrow is entry day for the fair. It is a very important day for my family and I. All year we worked hard for fair. My small county has many families that feel the same way. Its all about that blue-ribbon! ....And the years worth of bragging rights.
Growing for the fair is more than just a nice fruit. Its also about timing. So many times I've had superb veggies the week before and the week after fair! :confused: Must add the luck factor in it too.

This years entries....

Watermelon----est. wt. 38# I feel good about this one. Folks are telling me its the biggest they've ever seen in the county.

Tomato---est wt. 3lb. VERY tough competition here.

Tallest corn stalk---I feel good about this 1 too.....est. ht. 16ft. The stalk is as round as a beer can all the way to the tassels.

Tallest sunflower stalk---est. ht. 14ft.

Cabbage---I can't enter it in the largest head contest because the head isn't formed yet. But the pant is HUGE ( 6ft + across) and is worthy of display. It will enlighten folks to just how large 1 can get.

I have an anomoly for you ppl. Heres a Siamese sunflower. It has two co-joined heads. I've grown many a s flower and never saw this happen. Pretty cool.

RR420, what can I say? You are a very talented gardener. That mater of yours is a dandy and I do believe I have been bested this year- GOOD JOB!
Wish me luck at the fair!
Seed

Last edited:

RuralRoute420

^

^

spreadingseed - you don't need no luck, the ribbons are yours:)

next year i will be growing a giant tomato - have lots of ideas on how to do it, will drop you a pm later.

now, i'm not a hater or anything, but i would LOVE to see a pic of that cornstalk. i have some friends that would get a kick out of that.

sproutco

Veteran
Late blight (fungus=septoria) is attacking my newly set out tomato plants for fall. I am having alot of rainfall. I sprayed today with daconil 2787 fungicide.

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
This weekend I picked about 30 tomatos made some jarred tomato juice and picked a big watermelon that weighed 18lbs. The yellow brandywine tomatos the ones in the white bowl are super good on salads, i have probably picked about 5 gallons of them and more keep ripening each day by the 100's. Made the tomato juice yesterday and jarred it and had a taste today mmm its good, if I liked vodka I could sure make some good bloody maries, but Ill leave that to my friends who like vodka

Buckeye

G

My army of friends came to help me harvest for the fair today. So far I'm top dog in the corn and sunflower stalks. My pops spanked me good with his tomato. his weighed in at a whopping 67 ounces...4# 3 ounces. Not bad old man. I estimated my watermelon at 35-38# just by looking at it. There was no way for my crippled ass to pick it up so I had to just guess. My eyes popped from their sockets when the scale hit 50# even. I shattered the record for fair by 28#. I have that blue-ribbon in the bag. I got smoked in the cabbage catagory. Someone grew a dandy head...27#. I'll get to find out tomarrow what final results are.
Corn. 13' 11 1/2". Not quite what I thought it was but still the one to beat.

Sunflower..14' 4". This is a personal record. I almost chose another one and I'm glad I didn't. My friend climbed on the roof of his van and got a birds-eye view over the patch. He spotted this beauty, claiming it was 4" taller than the rest. I am only 2" bigger than the next largest entered.! Thank you Andy.

Buck! That juice sounds great, I like to add a dash of pepper to mine. Great stuff that busts even the most stubborn cotton-mouth. :yummy:

RR420 What ya think? I take it that your friends grow corn since they wanted to see this thing.HAHA I feel a bit foolish for over-estimating it, but hey, its just like when ya lie about fishing. Its all honest fun. :wave:

BabbaBud Do you know how many days it takes the Early Girl to set fruit? I'd like a variety that has "reds" by the 4th of July. Have you ever grown Better Boys? It is a heavy yielder of picture perfect tomatoes. Problem is, I can't get "reds" till August.

:woohoo:
Seed

PS- I feel like a lil kid the night before Christmas. I am excited and wide awake. :yoinks: I have had a bummer of a summer and it seems that I am going to win some blues. :jump: This is just the kind of positive uplift I needed.

whiskeyriot

thats one bad ass sunflower.

Im growing cayenne pepper plants right now, they're pretty tall but still no peppers :(
in the herb garden is some bushy basil, chives and mint.. smells great when the windows are open!

im also going to buy a small orange tree next month when i get paid, heh.

Spreading Seed, I read that when you cut a watermelon lose, have a couple feet of vine still attached. Then place the cut end in a bucket of water. The melon will continue to absorb water on the way to get weighted. That way it doesn't dehydrate on the trip.

congratulations on the blue.

edit: what are you using for fertilizer? are you using well water to irrigate?

Last edited:

kushedout

Hey guys. Just wondering how many of you have experience Revegging your veggie plants. I harvested my cherry tomato, japanese eggplant, and my basil but instead of plucking the stem with roots and all, I left the entire thing in there with a few shoots that still had some foliage on them to see if they would come back. Sure enough the tomato has come back from a single shoot and is taking off. The basil plants are finally starting to show new growth and getting bigger as well. My eggplants however are lagging in a major way. Should I not bother revegging and just transplant new plants altogether before things get any bigger? Would yield, flavor, or anything else be affected by revegging a plant? Thanks!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ kushedout

annual plant usually loose some vitality during the 2nd year (as is the case with old cannabis clones).... however, the basil should be fine,,, perhaps just a little bit more woody this year than last :wink: keep growing :yes:

@ All

here's some summer fruits pon harvest...

(note: we don't grow these fruit,,, we gather them from the garden :wink: )

peace n bloom
dLeaf :joint:

Last edited:
G

Hey folks,

Heres a shot of my record melon. :wave: 50# even. I also have a hatful of green beans in the shot.

Seed

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool :cool: Spreading Seed :yes: wat do you folk do with these giant melons? how do you eat them? ever freeze them as sorbet? peace dL :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts