What's new

Vegan Organic Help

bignugs

I would like to try a organic grow with autopots. Autopots use a reservoir for the storing the feeding solution and am concerned about storing a animal based nutrients to bottom feed plants because of possible toxicity and the stench they may produce.

Been doing a little research and think maybe a vegan organic grow might be the best. I would be using a coir/perlite mix with mayby 25% ewc, some kelp meal, xtrememe myco, possibly alfalfa meal, rock dust and the General Organic (vegan) line of nutrients with the exception of the marine nutrient.

Any vegan growers using the GO line (or comparable) and some advice on blending a good soil mix and the pros and cons would really be helpful.

Thanks....

Swayze

Hey bignugs,

I don't have any experience with the GO line of Vegan nutes but I did pick up a box of Down to Earth's Vegan Mix. It's "An all purpose fertilizer made with no animal products or by products. Contains soybean meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, rock phosphate, sul-po-mag, stonemeal and greensand."

I should mention that I'm not vegan growing as I use guano. I picked up the Vegan Mix because I liked the list of ingredients and it was a cheap way of getting all of them instead of buying separately. I mixed this into my soil mix at .5 cups/gal.

Scrappy4

Veteran
How many more vegans have to die before you guys wise up? There are not that many vegans as it is, but once you kill them to feed your plants soon the world will be devoid of them. Is that what you want? I think not! Scrappy, saving one vegan at a time.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
How many more vegans have to die before you guys wise up? There are not that many vegans as it is, but once you kill them to feed your plants soon the world will be devoid of them. Is that what you want? I think not! Scrappy, saving one vegan at a time.

This is what humanitarian looks like in 2012. Go get 'em Scrappy~

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The Revenge of The Joke Thread!

picture.php

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to try a organic grow with autopots. Autopots use a reservoir for the storing the feeding solution and am concerned about storing a animal based nutrients to bottom feed plants because of possible toxicity and the stench they may produce.

Been doing a little research and think maybe a vegan organic grow might be the best. I would be using a coir/perlite mix with mayby 25% ewc, some kelp meal, xtrememe myco, possibly alfalfa meal, rock dust and the General Organic (vegan) line of nutrients with the exception of the marine nutrient.

Any vegan growers using the GO line (or comparable) and some advice on blending a good soil mix and the pros and cons would really be helpful.

Thanks....

Sorry Bignugs; We have a longrunning joke concerning so called veganics. Truthfully you are better off making a good soil mix with some of the ingredients you have listed and forget about spending money on bottled nutrients. There are some threads here and there which may help.

I can't recall if Cootz listed 'his' soil mix here but perhaps he would grace you with it.

IMO allowing your soil to become and remain alive is a good approach to organic growing.

Scrappy4

Veteran
lol...That was so funny...Ask a civil question and get a silly answer...:shark:

OK fair enough. If you follow dank frank's link you will get an idea of the vegan thing. Personally I much prefer botanical as the term for the way we are using it. Funny but, In my narrow mind I justify buying dried and or powdered plant and flower materials to use for fertilizers, but loath a store bought product that may contain the same. In that same link (i think) cootz lays out the argument as to why plant materials work better than the same ingredients in a commercial operation. The easy notes version is they are more biologically active due to the freshness of the plant while a bottle fermented product does not enjoy the many compounds that (dried) fresh has due to the processing.

I really can't comment on your specific product as it I s something I have never used. What I will tell you is that these botanical agents do work and work well. Over the last couple years I have grown or foraged and even bought a wide range of plants to feed my medicinal garden. And my garden has never been better.

So my best advise for you if you want to feed your plants other plants is to first make a diverse soil mix with plenty of areation and high quality compost and or ewc. Forget the word vegan. Then to pick up some alfalfa meal from your local farm store, a bag of kelp meal from wherever, and what ever local plants you can source without troubles. If you run out of local weeds, I have used rose mountain herbs for herbs that are not easy for me to get.

If you can arrange it you might want to look at growing comfrey. A miracle plant that any knucklehead could grow.

How's that? Did I do better, lol....good luck.....scrappy

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Advice on a good soil mix:

4g local organic potting soil (un-fertilized)
3g chunky perlite
1.5g coir
1.5g peat moss
1g EWC (oops....lol...can't use these)

Makes roughly 1.5 cubic foot of medium, which is the standard amount for a commercial bagged soil...

From there you can use FPE - fermented plant extracts / liquid "veganics" - or you can chose to amend your soil...

It seems you are looking for a balance between BOTH - what Scrappy just suggested with the Mountain Rose Herbs - WAS EXCELLENT advice. I have purchased from them myself.

Dried plant matter / meals that are of great value include (not limited to):

alfalfa
comfrey
dandelion
kelp
nettle
whole grain bran (there are specifics such as rice bran, etc)
willow
yarrow
yucca

All of those can be put to excellent use...then you move on to rock/mineral content

azomite
diatomaceous earth
dolomite limestone
glacial rock dust
greensand
gypsum
K-Mag (Sul-Po-Mag)
leonardite
zeolites

ALL of these things can be used when attempting to amend your soil using a "veganic" approach -

Keep in mind, I am only making this post to be of assistance...and to make you feel like you aren't "swimming with the sharks" ... If you go back to the original link I posted, you'll see how I personally think / feel about said "veganic" concept...

But perhaps this will be of use to you or others looking to travel down such a path...

dank.Frank

M

MrSterling

Every time I see a vegan dragging their attention-seeking behavior into gardening/farming I roll my eyes. That old joke about atheists works way better with vegans. "How do you know someone is a vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you". If you don't want to use animal products that came from the death of an animal, I can understand that moral argument, but some of these people are against using any sort of animal feces or waste for gardening, and that's just absurd.

I'm not closed-minded, I spent some time as a vegetarian, I garden all organically, and I love animals way more than I love human beings. Taking animals completely out of the soil operation is unsustainable in my mind. We spent thousands of years keeping our soils fertile with the help of our domesticated friends. Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now. :tiphat:

edit: bignugs, I realize most of this isn't to be directed at you. Although I can't imagine what "toxicity" or "stench" could be coming from "animal-based nutrients" - I've never used anything out of a bottle like that.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now
That isn't a soap box you're standing on - it's called 'science'

Something that the 2 online jamokes promoting this silliness have yet to lurch upon. Given their history in promoting stoner stupidity in general, I'm not holding out much hope for either of them and as a 'team' - fuggedaboutit to quote Michael Corleone

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I use soil that I mix myself it's actually coco and ewc, blood, bat guano, mycos, lime. I use Bio Thrive Bloom food, Yes it's vegan I like the taste of my buds and the smooth smoke. I personally don't care form chem ferts, my buddy uses anything from cheap blue frets to floralisious. All he bitches about is the cost. His bud tend to the harsh side. So vegan vas anything else ids a personal preference so what difference does it make to the rest of you what a guy grows with. Ferts are a personal choose as I see it, so I use what I want and any one that feels they need to be critical well blow me I grow with what I want.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any one that feels they need to be critical well blow me I grow with what I want.

and some advice on blending a good soil mix and the pros and cons would really be helpful.

Thanks....

So - we are the negative ones yet you march in with your dirty boots and tell us to blow you...

We have only provided exactly what the OP asked for - what did you contribute, pearlemae?

dank.Frank

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
WIZE UP!

hehe.

poor bignugs, sorry your question brought up this old joke. don't take it personally.

lots of good advice has already been given.

i'll just add one more vote for a pre-amended soil. especially if you plan to use those reservoir containers.

even using plant based nutrients in your reservoirs will promote "stinkiness" because what is happening is an anaerobic bacterial bloom.

your best bet with these containers is finding a way that will support using only water in the reservoirs.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I know...pretty dopey huh?
How can someone promote a 'theory' and not even know the basic tenets?

"I want to live my life as a eunuch!"

"You know that means they'll have to castrate you, right?"

"Not any more! - High Times Magazine and their staff have figured out a way to keep a little stub down there and I can still be a eunuch! Just like my Ken dolls!"

W.P.O.D.

Latest posts

Latest posts