What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vavilov, Afghan Sativas, and Uzbeki Giants

IndicaFarmer

well Chamba, it is not just "very few samples of hemp clothes", if you read the information provided carefully, you will notice that not only were plenty of hemp cloth samples founds in North America, but also clay pipes with Cannabis residues in them, which means it was a magic-religious substance.

You ask why Tabbacco and Coca made it all the way to Egypt and not Tomatos and Potatos; it is simple, because neither Tomatos nor Potatos were considered magical keys which opened doors into a bigger universe...

see, back in the day, most people were not sucking on their thumbs and watching sitcoms and news shows on the T.V. there is plenty of information regarding this; a good introductory book is Plants of the Gods by Schultes and Hoffman.

peace man.
I have never ever seen anything about cannabis residue in pipes in the Americas prior to Columbus or even for long after. but, they have found pipes in africa that are ancient with cannabis residue from I think the 14th centuries or earlier which is interesting, that they came up with that smoking device separate from American Indians and Tobacco.

IndicaFarmer

PazVerdeRadical,
“In his study of Prehistoric Textile Art of Eastern United States (1891), Smithsonian Institute ethnologist W. H. Holmes showed that the ancient Mound-Builders utilized cannabis hemp. Hundreds of clay pipes, some containing cannabis residues and wrapped in hemp cloth, were found in the so-called Death Mask Mound of the Hopewell Mound Builders who lived circa 400 BC in modern Ohio. At one site in Morgan County, Tennessee, Holmes recovered large pieces of hemp fabric”

Funny how they found hemp residue but tests for Cannabinoids were not developed until after the 1960's, if you believe this, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...
No Hemp textile, Cannabis remains or Cannabis seeds have been found in the Americas from pre 1492. If you think they have then please list the reference and I will explain why it is not real.

-SamS
also, a definition thing and semantics with names of plants being similar or confusing, Ie Indian hemp in the USA was also called hemp dogbaine for use as cordage, I beleive apocnnium cannabinium sp?, same family as cannabis i guess way back?

IndicaFarmer

The work done by E. Small in 1978 (all the good cannabis research was done before reagan the rest is done on behalf of gmo seed companies and big pharm) says that indicas don't change as much genetically when they become adapted to a new environment. The generally accepted source of genetics for most the equatorial sativas in america and the carribean is hemp. And I don't mean to make light of the work done by early breeders but environment played a HUGE role. I don't think any of you would argue that if you grew 100 skunk 1 plants and did complete open pollination it would lose ptency very quick over 3 or 4 generations at most. Now my wild malawi though hard to grow is more potent than 90% of the skunk 1 I've smoked and that's after centuries of open pollination. Look at all of the many equatorial sativas from mexico thailand columbia grown and bred with many many years of open pollination and its still amazing. Many of the varieties we know to do came from seeded buds. At the same time none of you growers in the usa (not hawaii) and europe can maintain your strains w/out careful selection of male and female. There's a reason for this. If you were to take a durban that had been maintained with open pollination in s. Africa and grows easy in new england after several generations of open pollination in new england it will be much weaker than it ever was in S. Africa.
I don't know if I believe this to be true, I too have read about this theory of hemp turning psychoactive at equatorial latitudes, but I am just not sold on it. I think there is more at play possibly?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I'm agree with zamalito, I'm pretty sure that hemp (even from fiber) produces more thc in the heat, and the closer it gets to the equator, the more the level of psychoactivity increases...
In fact, in my area during the hottest and driest years, fiber plants significantly increase the levels of thc, exceeding the limit imposed by law...
I've come to the conclusion that hemp needs selection, both if you want to keep the thc levels "high" and if you want to keep the thc below a certain threshold....
Just my opinion....

IndicaFarmer

I'm agree with zamalito, I'm pretty sure that hemp (even from fiber) produces more thc in the heat, and the closer it gets to the equator, the more the level of psychoactivity increases...
In fact, in my area during the hottest and driest years, fiber plants significantly increase the levels of thc, exceeding the limit imposed by law...
I've come to the conclusion that hemp needs selection, both if you want to keep the thc levels "high" and if you want to keep the thc below a certain threshold....
Just my opinion....
When I was a kid I beleived this as well. I lived in Iowa in the midwest. Hemp everywhere to be found. One year it was consistently 100 degrees all summer, the summer stretched ino fall and was very good weather for the hemp to grow tall, healthy and prolong the natural flowering period cycle. I remember the plants, a specific stand of it by my neighbor's farm field before they turned it into a golf course. They were so heavy with flowers that they bent over. They glistened with the most trichomes I had ever seen in wild cannabis. I picked several tall pieces and dried them out, huge colas weight about a quarter pound each when dry. They looked 100 percent like cultivated cannabis that would be sold on the black market in the mid 90s. Zero high, zero smell. I was very disappointed and surprised/confused. I had always read that heat, sun and dry conditions were conducive to thc production. Also, I had a friend that had some hemp that grew at his farm along a fence. it was a dwarf variety that looked just like many short kush varieties. buds were thick and rank, like roadkill skunk smell. I paid high ten dollars in October to fill me a backpack full and bring it to school for me. he did. I had a in backpack filled with skunk smelling hemp in class and everyone thought that the maintenance people had been mowing hemp outside on the school grounds, they could not figure it out. anyways, same story. looked awesome, was even sticky, had the skunk smell, but no high. Perhaps it would have been great in cbd content, who knows? But yeah, I am in the opinion that hemp can have an increase in thc given environmental factors, but only to a point. maybe it is an incremental and overtime sort of thing? maybe it takes decades? maybe 50 years or more to go from cultivated fiber hemp to a drug variety? who knows. I do know that most of the hemp grown in the midwest is from the 1940's war effort, and that the varieties used were sourced from China? I am sure the US must have had some seed stock from the past when it was legal. after all, it was only outlawwed in 1937 outright. Before that, it was only regulated federally in 1918 with the introduction of the Harrison act. There were local statutes though here and their, most racist in nature, concentrating on Mexican immigrants and other peoples from south of our border that had a culture of recreational cannabis use, mostly in the form of smoking. PEACE!

Latest posts

Latest posts