What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vapers...I have maybe news.

grayeyes

As most I grew up smoking. Then we found vapes. I grow so I am talking about not yet cured flowers for most at this time of year.

I just harvested my favorite and have been having problems curing after the initial dry because of high humidity. Totally exposed it dries; then when bagged it re-hydrates. It has been a problem.

After watching many YouTube videos about de-carboxilating ( sp question mark) herb I realized or thought I did, understand something. They cook sugar leaves at 250 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. My vaporizer has settings.

Then I read someone's post on a canna channel saying something to the effect they had what should be dried and cured canna but it wasn't. So they tried using dried and cured herb that would not dry in their vaporizer. The effect is what I am writing about. It seems that terpenes and THC don't need to combust to release their vapors into us. It seems a setting of between 330 and 395 sets loose what we are actually seeking. It does not need to burn.

Try it out. Tell us what you think.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
There is a lot of old wives tales out there LOL. I decarb my buds for my pills at 225 deg F for 25 min. That smell that goes off in your kitchen is medicine. When I see folks who categorically state, decarb your weed to make canna butter etc... NO! You keep it at a lower temp for longer In butter in a dble boiler.

When it comes to vaping the sweet spot is 360 deg F, or you can adjust your vape accordingly to capture all the "gases" Some of these terpenes are temp sensitive and will "burn off" rather than volatilize as intended. This is what I am talking about...

1JbO8Kll.jpg

The gist is that you can target what you want, or go through them for the complete entourage effect.

Unfortunately, most vaporizers have a timer and times out. Most, time out @ 5 min. My Arizer solo has a 12 min cut off, so one can navigate through the temps. When the more volatile terps have been vaporized, you will know, and you simply go to the next setting. I never go past level 4 (383 deg F). I clean up on level 4 after she timed out. On my Flowermate I set it for 360 deg, and for "evening meds, I simply use an evening strain, and, everyone is different there. Bubba Kush is supposed to be a nighttime strain for many. It doesn't do diddly for me but, it is a great day time strain.

Starting @ a lower temps is not as harsh and allows you to take more in. Bonus!

Corpselover Fat

It seems that terpenes and THC don't need to combust to release their vapors into us. It seems a setting of between 330 and 395 sets loose what we are actually seeking. It does not need to burn.

Yes. That is indeed how vaporizers work. Burning destroys thc and you are actually vaporizing the goodies even when smoking. The hot air you suck through the bowl or joint vaporizes the thc.

grayeyes

Switcher, I wrote the post last night for that very reason. I was beyond shocked at how much better vaping still kinda moist buds were in comparison to dry buds. Like night and day.

You don't need to guess which I'm doing.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
To me, smoking a joint, after the 1st few puffs, they all taste like burnt leaves.
Yet I get called crazy for the way I grow. 🤦

People say about vaping:
Wow... such a cool temp vs. smoking...
So delicious, even when it's almost finished...
Almost zero 'burnt plant' flavor, even on the last exhale...
Such complex flavor and aroma!

Yeah... that's how a good run for me burns as flower. ;)

Ca++

Yet I get called crazy for the way I grow. 🤦

People say about vaping:
Wow... such a cool temp vs. smoking...
So delicious, even when it's almost finished...
Almost zero 'burnt plant' flavor, even on the last exhale...
Such complex flavor and aroma!

Yeah... that's how a good run for me burns as flower. ;)
Only yours, on nobody else's?
You should show this miracle weed to a large operation, and sell them the secret.

Looking at the chart, some is a 60 minute conversion. That's a long time to be heating the same load. It's not happening.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You should show this miracle weed to a large operation, and sell them the secret.

Looking at the chart, some is a 60 minute conversion. That's a long time to be heating the same load. It's not happening.
What chart?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The best vape heats the material before the air blows off the compounds. A Volcano Hybrid is the best for that. Load up a gram of flower, let the stuff sit in the chamber ( I use 420*F) about ten seconds, then put the whip in your mouth and turn on the fan. The terps will be blown off and it is a great rush. I believe the solventy terps help dissolve cannabis oil that has stuck to the inside of the lungs. One hit, then save the ABV up to make butter.

The oils are still on the flower. The buzz from the lighter compounds doesn’t last that long, but the lungs will be better off.

Joints get me the highest, but the oils are being heated and condense in the lungs, which is bad.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I had been a die-hard hooter toker since way back when Jesus played running back for the Jerusalem Juggernauts, but when I switched to vaping with an Airizer Solo 1, I wound up turning my back on joint smoking forever. The flavor of a vape is out of this world, especially if you like lemon flavored bud like me

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I had been a die-hard hooter toker since way back when Jesus played running back for the Jerusalem Juggernauts, but when I switched to vaping with an Airizer Solo 1, I wound up turning my back on joint smoking forever. The flavor of a vape is out of this world, especially if you like lemon flavored bud like me
:biggrin:

grayeyes

The difference in taste and high between barely cured vaped and burned weed is amazing. Try it don't argue about it. You will most certainly put away the papers and lighter.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Only once have I experienced the same level of complexity and delicious to the end quality. It was the cannabis which sparked my epiphany on the subject in 2008, and the cause of years of informal observation since then.

Large operations have no financial reason to pursue it yet ( if ever ), the population is massively ignorant on the subject.

I've been laughing at the vape scene for years when the benefits are touted vs smoking flower. I used to grow flower I'd rather vape too. ;)

Rider420

Only once have I experienced the same level of complexity and delicious to the end quality. It was the cannabis which sparked my epiphany on the subject in 2008, and the cause of years of informal observation since then.

Large operations have no financial reason to pursue it yet ( if ever ), the population is massively ignorant on the subject.

I've been laughing at the vape scene for years when the benefits are touted vs smoking flower. I used to grow flower I'd rather vape too. ;)
Hi buddy how's it going? You grow the best weed in the world and only you know how huh. Sure buddy your weed is so good burning is like vaporizing eh. I guess you have learned how to grow bud that does not turn into tar when smoked. LOL look at your bong dude after a week of not cleaning it and its as black as Toby's ass. That does not happen with vapes but you can believe whatever you like.

Lolo94

I am wondering if the type of weed smoked makes a difference. If the resin glands separate easily vs. those that stick on to the plant material more. I recently switched back to joints from a vaporizer, because I could not get it to burn right (after trying all 3 different heat settings) and it would it constantly gum up the intake and the mouthpiece would stick. The nonstop cleaning became a pain and not worth it. The effect also felt weaker. Maybe the vaporizer technology has improved as what I was using was one of the earlier models.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I am wondering if the type of weed smoked makes a difference. If the resin glands separate easily vs. those that stick on to the plant material more. I recently switched back to joints from a vaporizer, because I could not get it to burn right (after trying all 3 different heat settings) and it would it constantly gum up the intake and the mouthpiece would stick. The nonstop cleaning became a pain and not worth it. The effect also felt weaker. Maybe the vaporizer technology has improved as what I was using was one of the earlier models.
That's because you didn't get the "full Monty". Folks collect their PVB and make edibles or butter out of them. It's a different consumption method, cracking a brownie in two is not the same as sharing a joint.

Ca++

What chart?
Your chart. It tells you the temperature to create the reaction, and the time taken for the reaction.
De-carbed weed would vape with a flavour that stopped me bothering. I like the flavours and moisture content that would be lost into the house, pre-baking the weed. So I have to wonder.. just how much conversion really happens when I vape.
Another point of note, is that we set the vapes air or crucible temperature. Not the products.

These are just issues I'm musing over. I burn my weed almost exclusively, which is more effective. The conversions happen faster at higher temps. The downside is the higher temps also release things you would rather not.
I wonder how many people really use the vape like lab kit. Running up to 195c, then doing a 205 run to waste. After which the thc-v should be prominent.
I would like to get hold of a volcano in private, to play around with such isolation attempts. I might be better off using the oven though, for a much more controlled result.