What's new

Vancouver 2010

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
I am excited, I'll be the guy with a huge joint for the ceremonies. Love having a Health Canada Exemption!!

antimatter

Veteran
Feels good to be Canadian lol
2555654.bin

2555735.bin

2555734.bin

2555733.bin

H

Hal

Tragedy at the Vancouver olympics...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/sports/olympics/13luge.html?hp

February 13, 2010
Luge Athlete Killed in Training Crash at Olympics
By LYNN ZINSER

A luge athlete from Georgia, Nodar Kumaritashvili, was killed in a crash in training on the Olympic track at the Whistler Sliding Center on Friday, an Olympic luge official at the track confirmed, the worst-case scenario developing on a track that many competitors have said is too fast.

Kumaritashvili, 21, lost control of his sled 48 seconds into his run, near the end of the track. According to the speed clock on the broadcast, he was going 143.3 kph -- 88 mph — and was propelled over the track wall. He slammed into a steel pole near the finish line.

The death cast a pall over the Games as they had barely begun, hours before the opening ceremony was to begin, with American luger Mark Grimmette set to carry the United States flag.

Perpetual Nooch

Lots of concerns before the Olympics that this track is too steep and too fast. There have been several accidents already on this track. I feel that they are pushing the envelope too much here. The Georgian was a young and inexperienced luger but you have to accommodate for that in Olympics, as opposed to World Championships where there are only professional, experienced riders.

Anyway, sad way to start the games. Hopefully, there aren't any more accidents. Does Vancouver have the record for deadliest Olympics? Nope; Innsbruck 1964. And there have been others as well.

In 1912, Portuguese marathon runner Francisco Lazaro, 21, collapsed
from sunstroke and heart trouble and died the next day.

In 1960, Danish cyclist Knut Jensen died during the Olympic road race
as a result of ingesting amphetamines and nicotinyl tartrate, supposed
performance boosters.

As for the winter accidents, both happened during the 1964 Innsbruck
Olympics: Australian downhill racer Ross Milne, 19, was killed when he
flew off the course during a training run and slammed into a tree.

Polish-born British luger -Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypeski was killed during
a trial run on the Olympic course two weeks before the Games began.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/445347.html

antimatter

Veteran
There is so much AAA weed in this province right now, lets hope no more accidents happen.

Last edited:
C

cyberwax

Just saw the opening cermony here, a dude getting killed in the bobsled.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
Oh man! So sorry to hear of that accident! Sucks.

My husband told me this morning that they're talking about postponing the snoboarding competitions due to rain.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
anybody know of the "Bird" in Surrey. That's where i'll be watching from tonight. lol but true.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
yippee I love watching the olympics. hopefully this opening ceremony isn't too boring

is it still a secret who is lighting the torch? I bet its wayne gretzky, has to be

Latest posts

Latest posts