What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Van, S. Surrey, White Rock AAAA

Mattbho

PM is curable. its not that terrible, just hard to get rid of. I had it before and cured it for about 8 years. It got back inside from outside awhile ago when like an idiot I brought a plant in. Bitch.

Howd you eradicate it . Im hoping uvb ozone will help

filter and ozone treat your incoming air , keep environment parameters perfect and keep plant PH perfect and that powdery mildew should never find your plants.
I've been growing for 30 years this spring and have never had powdery mildew in my garden ever.
Typically I grow 4 plants per light and I don't flower them until they are 3 to 4 months old from seed so about chest height at the flip. I keep RH between 35 and 60 and "never ever" above 40 in the dark.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
If you grew indoors, or outdoors for that matter, before 1989 in BC it was non-existent as we saw it. It showed up just around 1989.

In the mid and early 80's, outdoor growing around here, there was no powdery mildew. It started just around 88-89. Since then, its out there all the time, winters hardly dent its presence, not cold enough anymore.

If you grew indoors, or outdoors for that matter, before 1989 in BC it was non-existent as we saw it. It showed up just around 1989.

In the mid and early 80's, outdoor growing around here, there was no powdery mildew. It started just around 88-89. Since then, its out there all the time, winters hardly dent its presence, not cold enough anymore.

My part of BC has low average RH so outside/greenhouse it hasn't shown up. Where a friend is down near Vancouver he has blackberry bushes everywhere and PM is a big concern for him.
Indoors my lights on RH would be 15% steady if I didn't supplement with humidifiers.
Luckily it has not surfaced in my gardens and I guess I should count my blessings.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... Nova Scotia here. High humidity in the Maritimes. I grow indoors via a HEPA filter. Knock on wood although I was all over the place last summer I never got it. Since I can look after my needs quite nicely, I take the summer off. Quitting in June and commencing once again end Aug/early Sep.

T

TheForgotten

If HMK calls me, I'll share the Rene cut with both him and the OP.
I'm from Newton, now in Abby.....
HMK, I wanna get ahold pf you or the Glass Goddess, I want a half a dozen unobtaniums, please.... youknowwhothisis (HighendF2)

T

TheForgotten

Just to be clear, powdery mildew lives on the outside of the plant, downy mildew gets inside, and sulphur/lime works for that (pesticide license required).

beanjas

Powdery lives on the outside of the plant . Once it lives long enough on plant it taps into vascular system and becomes systemic. No way you can say powdery mildew is not systemic.
Clones will carry it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Powdery lives on the outside of the plant . Once it lives long enough on plant it taps into vascular system and becomes systemic. No way you can say powdery mildew is not systemic.
Clones will carry it.

Ah what.

Let me introduce you to google.

yahooman

I want to bring the DGC together and put some scientific evidence supporting or refuting the hypothesis that powdery mildew is systemic. The definition of systemic is pertaining to or affecting the body as a whole or involves multiple organs. For animals it typically means it has gotten into the blood stream as is able to then infect other parts of the body from within. If we are then applying this to cannabis, if it is said powdery mildew is systemic do we then mean it can infect other parts of the plant from within? All five main genera of powdery mildew of which 900 + species have been identified are obligate pathogens (podosphaera, erysiphe, leveillula, golovinomyces and oidium). Some are host specific and some are opportunist and will attempt to infect a variety of plants. All reproduce through the production of spores (conidia singular or conidiophores for a string of them) we actually see as the “powder” on the leaves. They have specialized cells called haustoria that are food absorbing projection that penetrate the epidermal cells of the plant. They absorb food through this haustoria and use the energy to create new hyphae that grow over the surface producing new conidia that do not require moisture to fruit and infect more tissue. There is also chasmothecia that are small pepper like specks that are formed and can survive without a suitable host. I would have to argue based upon the reproductive nature that only penetrating the epidermal layer of cells and then producing new spores for reproduction would mean the scourge of growing is in fact not systemic at all and can be unlike herpes as some put can be gotten rid of. The problem is that a single spore left after all the treatment in the world will still infect a plant that is not ready to defend itself through disrupting transcription within the pathogen (the typical defense of plants against powdery mildew attacks). I am open to any and all discussion that is science and research based. Peak into the 1000 Fungal Genome Project where we have learned evolutionary relationships through genome comparison of a variety of not only powdery but also downy mildew etc. On another note… with point mutations, deletions etc in the quickly mostly asexual reproduction of powdery could there be species of pm that has become systemic and can somehow move its spores within the plant? I feel like that is the only way PM could be considered systemic. It reproductive bodies have to be able to travel within the tissue of the plant to another spot within the plant like translocation of nutrients in order to be systemic. I would still argue that is highly unlikely and the infection is only in the epidermal layer or even if deeper spores don’t travel through the xylem or phloem with water a nutrients are able to. Thanks for everything from the crew. Hope we can shed some more light on this issue.

beanjas

Turn off all fans and watch pm spread on a clone from bottom to top within a week. Turn the fan on high and it does the same thing.
A seed plant takes much longer to get throughout the plant once pm has settled on host

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why google ? Is that what you would do. Or you not a believer to to the systemic approach. Are you the infamous green supreme?
Fuck that guy was annoying .. kinda like you.lol

Google because it's braindead easy to find the answer conclusively.

Use the string "site:*.edu" without quotation to remove cannabis forums from the search results, as they are a minefield of bad information, as you are discovering (and contributing to).

beanjas

Ok mikell you damn fool.
Google it yourself .. i use hands on and read numerous shit on it.
I live in a province surrounded by the ocean and deal with it all the time . You can use a non systemic approach and keep your environment clean and then ya you got it beat until someone gives you some clones that have it . Believe what ya want i could give 2 fucks . Each to their own opinion.

Latest posts

Latest posts