What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum sealed vs Mason jar

goingrey

Vacuum sealed bags take up less space. :D

I guess it depends on if the theory that the curing process uses up the oxygen in a jar is true or not. If it is, can't think of a reason why there would be a difference. If it's not, there's a big difference as aerobic bacteria and molds can live in the jar then.

In either case, anaerobic bacteria and molds can live so, freezer..

HalfArsedFarmer

I'm sure there are newer types of "bags" that are on the market especially for flowers to be kept long term. I remember business owner on a podcast talking about it with TH seeds owner.

Chuckeye

I vacuum/store in 1 L mason jars.

The oldest I have right now is over a year and a half old.

Just checked one, fresh as the day it went in !

Cheers

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I can’t understand vacuum storing in jars. The volatile compounds in the trics, known to some as tasty terps, will get sucked out of the trics into the void. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Now if getting rid of the oxygen is the goal, how about purging the jar with an inert gas or nitrogen instead? Has to be heavier than air, and let the jar just fill and spill the air over the edge of the jar. Or something. But I just can’t figure a vacuum.

goingrey

I can’t understand vacuum storing in jars. The volatile compounds in the trics, known to some as tasty terps, will get sucked out of the trics into the void. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Now if getting rid of the oxygen is the goal, how about purging the jar with an inert gas or nitrogen instead? Has to be heavier than air, and let the jar just fill and spill the air over the edge of the jar. Or something. But I just can’t figure a vacuum.
There's a lot of companies doing this actually (with nitrogen). Not sure what kind of equipment is needed and if it's feasible for the home grower.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Oh it’s feasible. Maybe. You could try this. Rig up a way to connect the vac lid to the nitrogen source, or argon, or???, leave the jar lid cracked loose a tad, fill sloooowly and let run ( how long?) to purge all the O2.

How do you Control humidity that way, cause the gas is probably dry? The inner moisture coming out of the bud?

Chuckeye

I vacuum store for three reasons, bulk, presentation and longevity.

For long term storage I have absolutely no concern about maintaining the buds shape o_O

I put 2 oz's in each 1 L mason jar. They are not exactly squished in but they are snug and there is not a lot of air left.

So, not much airborne tasty terps to suck out ;)

It takes maybe fifteen (?) seconds to complete the vacuum seal.

But, mason jars do require more storage space compared to say whatever size vacuum bags or Grove Bags.

You could store up to a pound in a vacuum bag and leave the bag long. Then you can cut off the seal, remove whatever you want and reseal the bag.

I like to pop the top on a jar and then reseal it, just a bit easier for me.

For gifts, presentation is much more important.

I will leave a number of eight inch or so long buds whole. They go through the same cure procedure as the rest of the harvest.

After a weekish hang dry the buds are bucked off the branches and placed in totes, ideally an rh no high than 70%. Then burped/rotated and rh monitored twice a day.

Ideally it takes a month for them to dry down to my target of 58%.

Leaving a number of buds intact seems to only extend the dry down/cure time by a day or so.

I then place the gift bud in a freezer bag and gently roll it up while expelling as much air as possible.

Then that goes into a vacuum bag, the air remaining in the freezer bag will keep the vacuum from flattening/crushing it !

And does a pretty good job of maintaining the buds original shape !

A sealed glass tube would be better but..... :LOL:

No complaints yet, he, he...

This is the level I trim to, wet trim on the plant before hanging seems to be the quickest for me.

Anything left I don't care for/missed can get removed when the bud is broken up to grind !

At my leisure, as in later !

Amnesia bud of the month color adjust.jpg

Cheers