What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum Oven exhaust residual gas analyzer

Rickys bong

Veteran
The problem with a thermocouple meter like the yellow jacket, is they respond differently to different gases, and an analog needle gives you a more intuitive read as to what is going on. Like this:http://www.vacuubrand.com/us/page936.html
Although I much prefer older analog gauges.
Mechanical gauges obviously don't tell you much...

What I'm suggesting is that two different gauges (different technologies) that read in the micron/millitorr range could also give some indication as to What is coming off, sort of a poor man's RGA...since accurate data on THC boiling points seems elusive, and the fact we're dealing with a mixture makes it more complicated.

RB

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ RB, "Put another way, there should be an optimal pressure range where you'd pull off butane, water and any dewaxing solvent but not start evaporating the good stuff."

And that's why I once again suggested a micron meter, not for the initial testing to work out ranges, but for anyone that cares to put the new data to practical use. The dial gauges are not going to be adequate, at least not without careful comparison with a micron gauge, like my Yellow Jacket 69075... :))

Keep us updated GW

Working in microns is a good point. The vacuum casting and heat treat industry operate in militorr and in the vacuum welding industry, we operated in microns. We are working in inches of mercury, because of the compound analog refrigeration industry gauges that we started with.

I typically used a Hastings gauge with DV6 tube for tracking vacuum between one and 100 microns. I used ones with set points and contacts, to terminate a vacuum cycle once the required vacuum level was reached.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201168895763?lpid=82

JColtrane

Well, I've mentioned Ben's Youtube channel before ... [YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AUzyECf8Go&list=UUivA7_KLKWo43tFcCkFvydw[/YOUTUBEIF]

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I've mentioned Ben's Youtube channel before ... [youtubeif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AUzyECf8Go&list=UUivA7_KLKWo43tFcCkFvydw[/youtubeif]

Ummmmm, "An error occured" when I clicked on it.

HG23

GW,

Have you had more time to play with the mass spectrometer again? I'm interested in any new findings or purge technique ideas you could offer. Thanks.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW,

Have you had more time to play with the mass spectrometer again? I'm interested in any new findings or purge technique ideas you could offer. Thanks.

Joe's played with it some, but we have yet to try Inficon's latest and greatest. Thanks for the reminder, I'll ask for an update.

We are currently planning to have an oven set up with a residual gas analyzer for the July Cannabis cup in Portland and hope ya'll will swing by our booth.

HG23

Hey anything new here?

I have renewed interest in how water is interacting with our concentrates to form the different crystal phases.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey anything new here?

I have renewed interest in how water is interacting with our concentrates to form the different crystal phases.

No, the HT event kept getting postponed and now it looks like it won't happen this year, so we will have to punt. I'll discuss it with Joe and come up with a new plan.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Hey anything new here?

lol i'm about to try lightly misting my oil with water after i break it up into dust to see if that will get it to wax up. I have the hardest time making wax. I've tried whipping and high temps and everything inbetween and just cant get a good texture. Can only get it to be a weird half sap half wax kinda texture, like i just whipped a shit ton of air into it lol. Only time i can get wax is when i don't dry my beads out for a month and i'm down to the last 15lbs of solvent and start to pick up a decent water content. Shits crazy lol.... I know one thing im saving up for in the 502 lab is a gas analyzer for the oven. Theres tons a R&D that needs done there. the hydrocarbon extraction process is pretty nailed down these days. Post processing and purging still need a lot looked into.

I have a question in regards to the exhaust coming out of a vacuum oven (I have Across Ovens). I was speaking to my local fire prevention and they had a concern with the vacuum oven exhausting high levels of light hydrocarbons. Has anybody captured some of the exhaust from these ovens and seen what the ppm or %lfl is on the exhaust, I could only imagine that it is extremely minute....

Roji

lol i'm about to try lightly misting my oil with water after i break it up into dust to see if that will get it to wax up. I have the hardest time making wax. I've tried whipping and high temps and everything inbetween and just cant get a good texture. Can only get it to be a weird half sap half wax kinda texture, like i just whipped a shit ton of air into it lol. Only time i can get wax is when i don't dry my beads out for a month and i'm down to the last 15lbs of solvent and start to pick up a decent water content. Shits crazy lol.... I know one thing im saving up for in the 502 lab is a gas analyzer for the oven. Theres tons a R&D that needs done there. the hydrocarbon extraction process is pretty nailed down these days. Post processing and purging still need a lot looked into.

Just make shatter like normal then bump your oven to 130fish and leave overnight. if you want it to be super wax you can lightly agitate it on the parchment before the bake.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Just make shatter like normal then bump your oven to 130fish and leave overnight. if you want it to be super wax you can lightly agitate it on the parchment before the bake.

Tried everywhere from 120 to 150 and never waxes up

VERY minute, if it makes him happy run the exhaust out a window or something

Yea we currently have a dedicated exhaust at 160cfm, so we have 100% air exchange every 3 minutes in the rooms with the oven. He told us that he recommends us exhausting the ovens into our extraction room that will have 100lfm of air through the cross hatch, ~5400cfm, but it just seems excessive for the ovens.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a question in regards to the exhaust coming out of a vacuum oven (I have Across Ovens). I was speaking to my local fire prevention and they had a concern with the vacuum oven exhausting high levels of light hydrocarbons. Has anybody captured some of the exhaust from these ovens and seen what the ppm or %lfl is on the exhaust, I could only imagine that it is extremely minute....

Very low, but the question is not what the level is but the worst possible scenario it could be, so as noted we typically exhaust our pumps outdoors.

That also keeps the smell out of the room as well as any oil vapors if you are running a vane pump.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea we currently have a dedicated exhaust at 160cfm, so we have 100% air exchange every 3 minutes in the rooms with the oven. He told us that he recommends us exhausting the ovens into our extraction room that will have 100lfm of air through the cross hatch, ~5400cfm, but it just seems excessive for the ovens.

100 surface feet is the capture velocity for gas or fumes released at moderate velocity into still air, according to Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practice, by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists and what the standard is based on.

Very low, but the question is not what the level is but the worst possible scenario it could be, so as noted we typically exhaust our pumps outdoors.

That also keeps the smell out of the room as well as any oil vapors if you are running a vane pump.

I wish we could exhaust immediately outside, it does make much more sense that way. However, we have to abide by the states regulations and cant have any air flow out of the facility until it has went through adequate odor filtration. So as it stands the air is pulled into our exhaust duct, passes through the carbon filter/ozone generator, then out of the building - This system uses a non-ferrous fan and an out of duct motor. No air from our extraction lab is being recirculated through the facility.

Do you think 100LFM is too excessive for running a CLS? We proposed having a 100LFM emergency exhaust system, as emergency systems can bypass the states filtration requirements.