What's new

Vacuum and fractional distillation

greenIrie

I think perhaps that Gray Wolf is referring to changing CBD to THC, and then back to CBD.

I didn't miss your question - I understand that THC and the other cannabinoids come from different synthases of CBG, but are you implying that older literature mentioning the isomerization of CBD to THC are wrong? I recall that a number of years ago they misunderstood how some of the cannabinoids formed in the plant, so perhaps the misunderstanding extended to the isomerization of CBD? If it is indeed possible to convert the CBD to THC, I was curious as to whether it has been done in the other way.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't understand, what do you mean THC back to CBD? Are you sure the THC was CBD to start with? Hint, THC comes from CBG. At least in the plant.

-SamS

Until we can measure what we have, it is my conjecture based on page 6 of Marijuana Chemistry by Starks, where he gives the biosynthetic route as CBD to THC to CBN.

Do you have data to share that contradicts that?

GW

Last edited:

greenIrie

Until we can measure what we have, it is my conjecture based on page 6 of Marijuana Chemistry by Starks, where he gives the biosynthetic route as CBD to THC to CBN.

Do you have data to share that contradicts that?

GW

That is an old hypothesis that has been proven incorrect.

"Cannabigerol (CBG) is the biosynthetic precursor of CBC, CBD, and THC" (McPartland and Russo 2001)

"Enzymes that catalyze the conversion of CBG to CBD and of CBG to THC have been isolated (Taura et al., 1995, 1996). De Meijer et al. (2003) hypothesized that CBD-acid synthase and THC-acid synthase are ‘‘isoforms’’ of the same enzyme and are encoded at a single locus by two alleles designated BD and BT, respectively." (Hillig and Mahlberg 2001)

"Today, THC is considered to be derived directly from CBG in all Cannabis strains (Figure 1b)" (De Meije et al. 2003)

^ I've uploaded figure 1 for ya:

GEN4044.f1.jpeg

"(b) The biosynthetic pathway of cannabinoids is shown (modified after Fellermeier et al. 2001). 1, geranylpyrophosphate; 2, olivetolic acid; 3, CBG(V); 4, CBC(V); 5, THC(V); 6, CBD(V); I, geranylpyrophosphate:eek:livetolate geranyltransferase (GOT); II, CBC(V) synthase; III, THC(V) synthase; IV, CBD(V) synthase. R1 ( C3H7) and R2 ( C5H11) indicate the propyl and pentyl forms of the different metabolites." (De Meije et al. 2003)

"Several pathways have been proposed to explain the biosynthesis of these cannabinoids. Typical biosynthetic schemes have been based on the assumptions that D1-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (D1-THCA), the precursor of D1-tetrahydrocannabinol, is synthesized by the ring closure of CBDA and that CBDA is formed from cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) via hydroxyl-CBGA (1). To confirm these assumptions, we investigated D1-THCA biosynthesis by enzymological means and established that D1-THCA is actually biosynthesized from CBGA by D1-THCA synthase and not from the presumed precursor, CBDA (6)." (Taura et al. 1996)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is an old hypothesis that has been proven incorrect.

"Cannabigerol (CBG) is the biosynthetic precursor of CBC, CBD, and THC" (McPartland and Russo 2001)

"Enzymes that catalyze the conversion of CBG to CBD and of CBG to THC have been isolated (Taura et al., 1995, 1996). De Meijer et al. (2003) hypothesized that CBD-acid synthase and THC-acid synthase are ‘‘isoforms’’ of the same enzyme and are encoded at a single locus by two alleles designated BD and BT, respectively." (Hillig and Mahlberg 2001)

"Today, THC is considered to be derived directly from CBG in all Cannabis strains (Figure 1b)" (De Meije et al. 2003)

^ I've uploaded figure 1 for ya:

GEN4044.f1.jpeg

"(b) The biosynthetic pathway of cannabinoids is shown (modified after Fellermeier et al. 2001). 1, geranylpyrophosphate; 2, olivetolic acid; 3, CBG(V); 4, CBC(V); 5, THC(V); 6, CBD(V); I, geranylpyrophosphate:eek:livetolate geranyltransferase (GOT); II, CBC(V) synthase; III, THC(V) synthase; IV, CBD(V) synthase. R1 ( C3H7) and R2 ( C5H11) indicate the propyl and pentyl forms of the different metabolites." (De Meije et al. 2003)

"Several pathways have been proposed to explain the biosynthesis of these cannabinoids. Typical biosynthetic schemes have been based on the assumptions that D1-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (D1-THCA), the precursor of D1-tetrahydrocannabinol, is synthesized by the ring closure of CBDA and that CBDA is formed from cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) via hydroxyl-CBGA (1). To confirm these assumptions, we investigated D1-THCA biosynthesis by enzymological means and established that D1-THCA is actually biosynthesized from CBGA by D1-THCA synthase and not from the presumed precursor, CBDA (6)." (Taura et al. 1996)

Thanks for the solid data! I will try to score copies.

GW

GrandpaStacks

GW I would love to pick your brain on this subject. I am working on a set up just like yours and any advice or tests you have done would greatly help!! Thanks!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW I would love to pick your brain on this subject. I am working on a set up just like yours and any advice or tests you have done would greatly help!! Thanks!

Feel free to ask any questions or contact me on PM.

Bluebery

I was asking in the terp thread if my Promax rg5000 recovery pump is worth looking into for use in recovering tane. It's not rated for it but neither are the others. It's used for A /c though so I think I'll get a new twin or t 21/m 69. Idk

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't used one, but other are using it for recovering butane.