What's new

Vacuum and fractional distillation

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just love it when a plan comes together! Here is my new rig for vacuum and fractional distillation undergoing shakedown boiling water this morning.

I followed by removing the hexane from an hops oil extraction and then washing it in ethanol and vacuum distilling that off to leave an absolute.

I also picked up an Alhin condensor and a soxhlet, for refluxing, isomerizing, and soxhlet extractions from hash.

Tomorrow I will try it on a cannabis oil run. Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort...................
GW

Wow! You must love chemistry! I love chemistry!

seriously though, that is a very nice collection of lab equipment. It's impressive.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! You must love chemistry! I love chemistry!

seriously though, that is a very nice collection of lab equipment. It's impressive.

Thanks! I'm sure having fun playing with chemistry for sure!

The parts collection and skunk works lab is finally coming together so I can move my alchemy out of my kitchen and play with even more chemicals with out pissing off Gray Fox.

GW

How do you control the "bumping" with a heating mantle under vaccum, as oppose to using a magnetic stir/hot plate with a stir bar?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cant he use boilingstones? Silica or acidboiled granite? \uneven glasspebblers?

Yup, I use broken glass for boiling chips. Experiencing no bumps.

GW

PS: I do experience bumps with my home made recovery still, that does not run under vacuum.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Isnt there a sampler Im seeing in the background? An robotic XYlinear sampler?

Good eye! That is part of our skunk pharm biochemist student's fractional separation experiment. He is wrestling with the calibrated light source for some of the used ancillaries, as they are no longer available, so he is experimenting with alternatives.

Right now, his focus is actually more on DNA sequencing as we speak, which is the unit on the right.

I understand fractional separation, but understand just enough DNA research to be blown away by the mind that conceived it and be throughly impressed by the possibilities. Our student Joe, on the other hand, is pushing the state of the art like bright young folks do, and digging deeply. We will share more as the project matures.

GW

Trichgnomes

That is a rad setup, Gray Wolf!

attachment.php

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks ya'll!

Today Joe will be smoke testing his reflux soxhilatation setup and I'm going to recommend that he make coffee instead of a saline solution.

Also time for the right hand to wash the left! I have one more hops oil extraction to do for the grandson of an old friend and ongoing electronics resource benefactor, and then play time with my own rig! Hee, hee, hee............

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The soxhilet rig undergoing shake down making coffee!

Hee, hee, hee..........

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have u tried co2 extraction? I think u almost got all the needed gear..it makes the purest oil.

On the list, but not the low hanging fruit right now.

I have designed a unit that I believe will work for both critical fluid extraction using C02, as well as simply extracting at low pressure and in the liquid state.

A 50 gallon Dewar of liquid was only ~$115 when I checked, which is cheaper than gasoline.

Attached is a simple minded (mine) schematic of how such a cryogenic pumped system might work.

GW

Attachments

• Simple minded SFE.pdf
    185.2 KB · Views: 19