What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

uv and ir how use them?

horse mouth

hi everybody,
i hope this is the right forum section to post this, if not i apologize.
i searched for a thread talking about this, but i didn t find it. and i couldn t find any information on internet.

I own a qb with a switch for uv and one for ir.
my question is how to use them? when is it better to switch on or off irs or uvs? and why? so far i keept irs on all the plants life time(yesterday i switche the photoperiod to 12/12) and i would switch on uvs at the beggining of the 4th flowering week. is it correct? how do you use them?

thankyou in advance

irie!

horse mouth

hi Switche56, thank you very much for the link

i found many useful information on ed rosental blog, thank you, but i couldn t find anything related to ir uv and when it is better to light on them

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
hi Switche56, thank you very much for the link

i found many useful information on ed rosental blog, thank you, but i couldn t find anything related to ir uv and when it is better to light on them
U R welcome. I read most of his stuff, so simply took a stab at it. I have seen many venues where it is/was discussed. I never kept any as although interesting perhaps, I found the subject to be of little interest to me. I am happy with what I am doing :)

Wild Seed

I own a qb with a switch for uv and one for ir.
my question is how to use them? when is it better to switch on or off irs or uvs? and why?

I've been wondering about this, thinking to add UVA and IR lamps on separate timers for my setup.

My advice would be to keep close to nature. Infrared is strongest at sunrise and sunset, when the deep red side of the spectrum gives the reddish haze on the horizon. Look up 'emmerson effect'. Plants predict that it's time to wake up or sleep when they get infrared, in combination with dark cycle. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour at lights on and off should work.

UV is greatest at midday, when the sun is high, so several hours in the afternoon seems right.

Saying all that, you don't want to be a full-time switchboard operator. Based on the seasons, I'd imagine UV on through veg and until near the end of flowering. The IR should definitely be on towards the end of flowering at least. Don't think there'll be much harm done if you leave both on constantly.

Latest posts

Latest posts