What's new

Using acetone to winterize BHO and ultrasonic distillation?

My point was that I don't believe you get all that shit out, no matter what you do. Maybe a highly-developed lab with some very expensive equipment could, but having sampled a lot of stuff from a lot of "experts" at extraction and winterization, that ain't happening in home labs.

:laughing:

komboloi

I found this from Med-Man. It's a post from yesterday in another thread:

"hey dudes

i had the pleasure of hanging out with my organic chemist today in toronto

he said its virtualy impossible to get all the sulvents/ and or additives purged from extracts

he is a power nerd in the subject, not just with resin and canna

i wonder what the overall effect on bidy/brain this is having on our community

seen a ton of black eyed, depressed, psychotic, and zombie like dabbers over the past 2 years.

does anythink this could be sulvent mixture related?

i myself love dabs, but on occaission. not morning eve night :)

food for thought

med-man
"

Daub Marley

Yeah it is virtually impossible to remove ALL of the solvents additives. So what? It doesn't matter unless the amount left in is at a harmful level, and butane/pentane are pretty harmless at almost any level. Acetone is much worse for you than butane and pentane, so it's removal should not be taken lightly, and the additives/contaminants are questionable.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
If you can't get ethanol, get sugar and a good strain of yeast. 95% ethanol is the standard because there's lots of precipitate and there isn't much THC trapped in it. You don't get the same results when substitutions are made.

You don't have to worry about ppm's of acetone residue. It's in your food, blood, urine and breath already.

Old Gold

I've been using acetone for winterization for some time now. I like it, and I don't.
It rips through all material, letting no dab go to waste! From the table, to my fingers, to old scrapings off a dish...all clean in mere seconds!! (Keep off the plastics, rubbers, and wood finishes, of course)

As stated above, I'd say maybe 30% of the waxes precipitate out at room temperature. The rest within 12-24 hrs in the freezer.
However, I've noticed that acetone may still dissolve waxes, even at sub-zero temperatures. My freezer sits at exactly -30 C at the bottom.
I've noticed waxes coagulate as the material finishes purging in the oven, and even a lack of stability from decent material that was winterized with acetone. Haven't seen this issue with denatured alcohol of pure ethanol. I do like how easily it boils out, which is why I'm quite interested in this pentane azeotrope!
Any decent pentane sources?? I now some pentane/hexane mix exists in light naphthas (distillation would be required) but I'm not sure which brands. I've only seen gnarly mixes of benzene, xylene, naphtha isomers, and other mixed hydrocarbons.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We got our n-Pentane from American Scientific Supply.

Resin23

Why would you form a azeotrope with pentane and acetone tryng to get a cleaner product ? If you want a cleaner product with no residuals rather than using pentane , simply add a small portion of water (5mls) to A super saturated solution of acetone/wax and mix thoroughly. Pour in dish to evaporate. Once all the acetone evaporates, pour off the water, it should contain any residual acetone with minimal terpene and cannaboid loss.

Old Gold

Secondary solvent introduction for evaporation is nothing new. I didn't know the temperature of such an azeotrope (hexane/pentane)
Way back, I tried using a large quantity of water to boil off a decent amount of solvent (ethanol, acetone), and then separate my waxes from water via cold temperatures. It was kind of messy, darkened my oil (unexpectedly), and made for a pasty end product, whereas my wiped film into the oven turned glassy shatter.

I'll try with a small quantity of water into a saturated slushy mix of acetone and wax. Recommended temperature in the oven?

Resin23

I would evaporate the acetone at room temp with a fan, hot water is going to dissolve more terpenes and cannaboids that your going to be pouring off and discarding...but if you must use a oven I would use lowest setting which should be about 170...acetone has a boiling point of around 133...as soon as all the acetone evaporates pour the leftover water off and rinse the residual h20 with a little clean cold h20. Then I would throw it in the oven to fully dry it.

Old Gold

I was thinking an oven at reduced pressure..

And I guess water was just a hassle to introduce in my past, I'll try again sometime.

Resin23

It's such a small amount is the beauty of it, but it's only if your worried about residual solvent being left in the bho. Personally I know acetone evaporates clean, and that as soon as bho hits a nail any solvent ppm level is instantly vaporized...this method works well for the 95% ethanol tho because at the end instead of tryng to get the last bit of water to evaporate you just pour it off...

Old Gold

Any solvent will "evaporate cleanly" given the right temperature/pressure. I'm interested in keeping things under 95 F. I've noticed darkening almost every time at 95+

And I'm not interested in letting my dab melt onto the nail and boil off solvent for a split second before I toke. That's not proper, and I could tell the difference 12/10 blind times from the taste, the way it hits my nasal passages, or from watching it bubble.

95% ethanol does seem like a good introduction however. Not for initial winterization, as the water is in there, but for a final evap, should work nicely