What's new

Used myco cakes

I don't know about rice flour. Verm will help aid in water retainbility and against soil compaction. Its not bad stuff to add and is a typcial soil ammendemnet. Rice flour may compost down but i don't of any benefits it may have. Mushrooms and plants have different nutrional needs and i don't know what rice flour could do for the plants.

Interesting, thanks. Do you or anyone else know if it would be safe to toss one of these in a wormbin? I don't know if the vermiculite or the fungus might hurt them.

OZZ_

Veteran
All of the above will be just fine, after mycelium has switched to fruiting mode, its very rare for it to revert and turn around and colonize a LARGE amount of substrate (in this case, soil). Very rare, new to MJ but I have my masters in myco buddy.

Ive only had one monotub, cake, casing, or otherwise successfully recolonize substrate after it has started fruiting. Kinda similar to MJ, theres veg mode (colonization) and fruiting mode .. once it starts fruiting the myceliums natural tendency is not to continue colonizing (indoors in artificial environments anyway).

Thats not to say, as others have said, that if you burried the cake in the soil whole it might not produce a fruit, or flush... and maybe even start colonizing a little amount of the soil... but its certainly not going to colonize the whole pot and start fruiting killing off your plant.

break or grind it up, add it to the soil... forget about it ;)

Pics are of a 64 qt monotub, 9.25 OZ's DRIED.. first flush baby... Golden teacher.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 553of3ma0.jpg
    553of3ma0.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 552of3yq3.jpg
    552of3yq3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
  • devastation4of6qi4.jpg
    devastation4of6qi4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
where do i learn to grow mushrooms? ive always been interested but never really thought i would. i heard you could seriously harm someone if you dont know what your doing?

T

The Dragon

In a similar vein, would there be any advantage in using spent rice flour and vermiculite cakes in a soil mix? How exactly would it improve the soil? What about spent coco coir used as a substrate?

The rice flour will act as a binding surface and future food source for Mycorrhiza that will also feed cannabis roots with increased nutrients.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
lol wow I come back to this forum after a long hiatus and this old thread of mine gets a reply not long before.

The rice flour could possibly feed a fungus which could feed the plant, but mixed into soil like that it could breed some pretty serious nasties. Best to compost it. The vermiculite is a great addition to compost anyway. Make sure you throw some gypsum in it too.