What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

US Gov Puts Bid Out To Grow & Research Cannabis!!?!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm sure people are going to be falling all over themselves for such an opportunity.... "Oh yeah I'll bid a dollar less than the guy before me Bob Barker!!"
*quickly paints a bull's eye on forehead*

The problem as I see it is that any company licensed by the government will be subject to the views of the government and will shape their studies to prove the position the government wants to put forth. Any results they come up with that do not promote the governments position will never see the light of day and that company will lose it's funding.The end result will be to give those who want to maintain the probition another study that they can point to as fact.
Who among us can believe the government would fund such a study unless it was sure of the outcome beforehand.

Respect bass

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
I coulda swore I posted a thread about the US AG being capable of granting exceptions to CSA and schedule 1 stuff...

But fuck damn... why does the NIH have to make it so that you already posses a DEA registration. What about those that are legally allowed to do so by thier state laws, already have killer proven medical genetics, and actually know how to grow weed. Guess Weed really is going to big pharma and big tobacco.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Awww fuck it. I am going to write them anyways, first I am going to talk to my representatives in Washington D.C. about this. Hopefully a good explanation of how a prior registration is unnecessary when it can be proven the requirements could otherwise be met for safety, documentation, and security of the herb.

PharmaCan

Veteran
It looks like big business is about to make the leap into mj production.

Bid requests like this are tailored to fit the bidders and right now about the only people who could fit this criteria would be, for instance, Monsanto or Archer, Daniel, Midlands. The gov't and big AG can see the pressure building to end prohibition and the powers that be want to make sure that it is their buddies with the free-spending lobbyists who are set to make the profits when prohibition ends.

Something like this isn't because the gov't is serious about legitimate research. Hell, the research is already out there, all they have to do is read it. I'm betting this is so that Monsanto et al can learn how to grow mj so that, when prohibition ends, they are the ones sitting in the cat bird's seat.

PC

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I just completed reading the proposal and found nothing to be concerned about.
In fact, they seem to be opening up the process, just as many have been calling for.
Sure, the government may eventually want to restrict access through mandating all marijuana be purchased through their program but, isn't that what those who have been encouraging the taxation of marijuana have been promoting all along?
Be care what you wish for, you may just get it ;>}

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I just completed reading the proposal and found nothing to be concerned about.

I agree. Odd, but not necessarily in a bad way.

In fact, this can only be a good thing. What the government appears to be saying is that the U of Miss, who provides all legal mj in the US now, is no longer sufficient. They want a second facility. Why? The only reason I can see is that they are, for one reason or another, expecting to see a greater need for legal mj. Most likely that would be for research purposes. Less likely for med patients.

And why would there be a need for more mj for research if research of Schedule I substances is restricted? That's the question. Regardless of the answer, more legal mj cannot be a bad thing.

E

EllieGrows

I cant tell whether this is a good or a bad thing, but I think that our community has the collective knowledge to make this happen. I think quite a few growers here could oversee and do justice to growing medical marijuana.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You can't sell a hot dog on the street w/o a license. The health dept. comes by all the time to make sure yer not scratching ass with serving hand. I wonder what kind of hoops private business growers would have to jump through before they're cleared to grow human ingest-able product. Especially meds.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I agree. Odd, but not necessarily in a bad way.

In fact, this can only be a good thing. What the government appears to be saying is that the U of Miss, who provides all legal mj in the US now, is no longer sufficient. They want a second facility. Why? The only reason I can see is that they are, for one reason or another, expecting to see a greater need for legal mj. Most likely that would be for research purposes. Less likely for med patients.

And why would there be a need for more mj for research if research of Schedule I substances is restricted? That's the question. Regardless of the answer, more legal mj cannot be a bad thing.

My thoughts while reading the proposal was that this is the first step towards reducing the schedule from 1 to 2 or 3. I would believe any reduction of scheduling can only benefit everyone as the Federal Laws would begin to reflect the reality of this.
I do fear this movement towards taxation by some in the community is a dangerous road which will only lead to restrictions put upon the individual grower and a reduction in the available outlets from which to procure marijuana.

I still think a Federal Lawsuit that demands Tobacco and Marijuana be treated equally under US Law would bring about the most beneficial changes for everyone.
Either make Tobacco a schedule 1 drug or eliminate the schedule and treat marijuana as a commodity equal to tobacco.

bbing

NIDA is the organization that provides research that drug policy is crafted around.

NIDA is often the coordinating agency for federal grants and the research result is usually from Primary Investigators from University or Community Based Orgs.

MANDATORY REQUIREMENT: The successful offeror must indicate possession of a current Schedule I and II manufacturer license, Schedule I and II researcher license, Schedule I and II distributor license, and a Schedule I and II exporter and importer license.
how may folks already got these?????

Not too many NIDA scientist have overly harsh views of mj, DARC at UCLA is responsible for the Tashkiin study no? They win a bunch of NIDA grants.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
US Gov ought to look to none other than the fine growing members of International Cannagraphic Magazine. Uh, that is if it doesn't get anybody busted. :biglaugh:

i say we get the licenses and bid in this. we'd have thousands of employees worldwide with practical doctorates in every phases of cannibis production and growth.

quadracer

Feds Solicit Medical Marijuana Cultivators
August 6th, 2009
Posted by Kris Hermes

A Request for Proposals issued yesterday by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for the “Production, Analysis, & Distribution of Cannabis & Marijuana Cigarettes” begged the question of whether the federal government was getting into the business of cultivating and distributing medical cannabis. The answer is both “yes” and “no.”

The National Institute on Drug Abuse is soliciting proposals from qualified organizations having the capability to (1) grow, harvest, analyze, store and distribute GMP grade cannabis (marijuana) on large and small scales; (2) extract cannabis to obtain purified phytocannabinoids including delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC), analyze, and store; (3) prepare marijuana cigarettes and related products; and (4) distribute marijuana, marijuana cigarettes and cannabinoids, and other related products for research and other Government programs upon NIDA authorization.

The truth is the federal government has a schizophrenic position on the issue. Although medical cannabis is illegal under federal law, and the position held by HHS is that cannabis “has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States,” there’s more to this picture than meets the eye. Officials with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) admit that cannabis may have medical value. In 2005, NIDA director Dr. Eric Voth testified at a hearing before a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Judge that, “there is evidence on the potential medical use of various cannabinoids (the components that make up the cannabis plant).” NIDA also regularly distributes medical cannabis cigarettes to the four remaining participants of the Compassionate Investigational New Drug (IND) program.

This RFP in question, Solicitation Number: N01DA-10-7773, is similar to the solicitations that are issued every five years for a license to cultivate cannabis for research purposes and distribution to IND program participants. However, instead of favoring genuine competition, like many other countries that regulate cannabis production, the United States government has issued an exclusive license to the same entity for more than 40 years. Indeed, the federal government holds a unique monopoly on the supply of cannabis for research purposes.

The private beneficiary of this 40-year-long government monopoly? University of Mississippi professor Dr. Mahmoud ElSohly. Unfortunately, the federal government has used this cozy arrangement with Dr. ElSohly to stifle and obstruct research into medical cannabis, a substance that holds an incredible therapeutic potential for a multitude of ailments. Even when other qualified botanists apply for additional licenses, the federal government turns them down. Most recently, the DEA refused to issue an additional license to University of Massachusetts at Amherst professor Dr. Lyle Craker despite an 87-page ruling by DEA Administrative Law Judge Mary Ellen Bittner who said that expanded medical cannabis research was “in the public interest.” So egregious is this monopoly on cannabis production that ASA issued a report in April condemning the continued and unnecessary sole-source supply.

The federal government’s double-standard on medical cannabis revolves around a desire to place pills into the mouths of Americans and deny them the promise of an affordable plant that can be easily grown in your backyard. For years the federal government has pointed to Marinol (a pill) as the answer to medical cannabis — itself an admission that cannabis has medical value. However, according to the patients that have used it, this single, synthetically derived component of cannabis (THC) is not really the answer. Even when it is naturally derived from the whole-plant, as is being proposed by pharmaceutical companies that want to produce a generic version of Marinol (currently patented and produced by Solvay Pharmaceuticals), it is still not the answer.

Not only is it time to dismantle the federal monopoly on cannabis production, it is also time for the federal government to recognize the therapeutic benefits of whole-plant cannabis. First, HHS needs to acknowledge the abundance of evidence that already exists illustrating the medical efficacy of cannabis and revise its outdated position. Second, the DEA under the new Obama Administration needs to approve Dr. Craker’s application, begin regulating multiple sources of cannabis cultivation, and end the illusion of competitive licensing.

http://safeaccessnow.org/blog/?p=268

feltonmuggs

Interesting 3 people/firms have already added themselves to the "Interested Vendors/bidders" list.

2 from Netherlands, one from Maryland (a decriminalized state).

IMO this is a step in the right direction. NIH (a federal agency under Department of Health and Human Services/HHS) needs to follow FEDERAL regulation and is not subject to any states laws, etc. Hence the need to have DEA licenses their future contractor. But if contracted with a foreign corporation (i.e. Bedrocan from NL) not necessary. So it'd have to be from within the US cause DEA don't issue grow permits to foreign corporations, would they?

Not getting bad vibes from this at all. FM

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
So it'd have to be from within the US cause DEA don't issue grow permits to foreign corporations, would they?

The DEA has given Bayer Schedule I registration, and I am pretty sure most of the other big pharma companies have too.

Thats the only problem with this, you have to either be a HUGE research corporation that has already been researching drugs, or an institution. It would be nice if UCDavis would apply for this. They are a leading Ag university as well as medical and genetics. I would trust a California University over big pharma any day of the week.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Lots of great thoughts on this issue posted in here. I wouldn't be too optimistic nor would I downplay it at this point. Could play out either way. Should be interesting. But you know how they work, it'll take eons to even get it started - there's no oil involved.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I think the last words in Quadracer comment sums it up "END the illusion of competitive licensing."

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
leseid pmeh gninru yb nar yllanigiro erew selibomotua droF tneicnA

Well you know that, and I know that. But the big oil companies who suck the taxpayers dry with their bullshit subsidies and record profits don't want the rest of the world to know that their black gold could be easily replaced by that damned ole' hippy shit.

Latest posts

Latest posts