What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

URSA Optilux/SS315/KISS/coco/veg+bloom/4x4

Desert Hydro

Veteran
excellent finish with the URSA. looks like it was worth the wait :)
almost all of my LED grown plants have purpled up a little bit. some more than others.

i was having the same symptoms as you were. i thought cal mag issue and kept upping the food but in now 90% sure it was just too much friggin light! my coverage is ridiculous with one COB per sq ft. its too much lol

saitama

excellent finish with the URSA. looks like it was worth the wait :)
almost all of my LED grown plants have purpled up a little bit. some more than others.

i was having the same symptoms as you were. i thought cal mag issue and kept upping the food but in now 90% sure it was just too much friggin light! my coverage is ridiculous with one COB per sq ft. its too much lol

THANK YOU so much for this post. I thought my height was an issue, so I raised the light ALL the way up in my tent. 36"+ from the canopy...and my new ladies still fried. I had to tape up the four center lights to diffuse the light a bit. I'm hoping I can slowly take them off once the girls have acclimated. I hope URSA comes out with a dimming solution for the Optilux 16. I've been in talks with Ken, so we'll see where that goes.

sad picture:

3kLytWI.jpg

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This was 2 days ago:

Your plants were perfection. I have a few questions. Did you veg under these from start to finish or did you just put them in the tent under the ursa's from another light source? I think you were vegging under 315 cmh's before?

Are you still growing in coco?

I ask these questions for very specific reasons, but I am sure it will just lead me to what I have presumed all along. I had the same symptoms you had under 630 gavita's when they first came out and it fried 2 crops in a row before I narrowed it down to being way too friggin much light + emitting way too much heat directly down since they were not air-cooled hoods. I know your temps are in check so this is definitely either a light intensity issue or coco issues. I will know by your answers, but at this point seems pretty obvious.

Seems if I run these it will be 1 light and I will be putting some form of black green house shade screen on it ir a variation of it rather than taping. It definitely makes me very wary of popping expensive, rare, or sensitive strains under them at first....

With the Gavita lights I was able to tell it was a light intensity issue by noticing all the perimeter plants were doing better than the inner ones. The inner ones would stunt, yellow fade, and throw random deficiencies that made me want to bash my head against the wall in an effort to cease trying to figure it out, hah.

I really think I single or double layer of screen until plants acclimate to the intensity is good idea...I certainly will not be starting my seedlings under it with less than 2 layers and 40 inches high.

The one thing that really pissed me off about my gavita experience was that I could never find the sweet spot for healthy plants. If I raised the light so they were healthy green they would be stringy as hell with structure issues and less dense buds.

I really really hope we can figure out a way to ameliorate the intensity issue. I fully planned on vegging with these as well but knew looking at the par ratings the center was way too much @1600~

At least we know you can finish with them and definitely bounce your plants back like you did before. Wish you luck on this run man.

saitama

This was 2 days ago:

Your plants were perfection. I have a few questions. Did you veg under these from start to finish or did you just put them in the tent under the ursa's from another light source? I think you were vegging under 315 cmh's before?

Are you still growing in coco?

I ask these questions for very specific reasons, but I am sure it will just lead me to what I have presumed all along. I had the same symptoms you had under 630 gavita's when they first came out and it fried 2 crops in a row before I narrowed it down to being way too friggin much light + emitting way too much heat directly down since they were not air-cooled hoods. I know your temps are in check so this is definitely either a light intensity issue or coco issues. I will know by your answers, but at this point seems pretty obvious.

Seems if I run these it will be 1 light and I will be putting some form of black green house shade screen on it ir a variation of it rather than taping. It definitely makes me very wary of popping expensive, rare, or sensitive strains under them at first....

With the Gavita lights I was able to tell it was a light intensity issue by noticing all the perimeter plants were doing better than the inner ones. The inner ones would stunt, yellow fade, and throw random deficiencies that made me want to bash my head against the wall in an effort to cease trying to figure it out, hah.

I really think I single or double layer of screen until plants acclimate to the intensity is good idea...I certainly will not be starting my seedlings under it with less than 2 layers and 40 inches high.

The one thing that really pissed me off about my gavita experience was that I could never find the sweet spot for healthy plants. If I raised the light so they were healthy green they would be stringy as hell with structure issues and less dense buds.

I really really hope we can figure out a way to ameliorate the intensity issue. I fully planned on vegging with these as well but knew looking at the par ratings the center was way too much @1600~

At least we know you can finish with them and definitely bounce your plants back like you did before. Wish you luck on this run man.

Thank you! I'm catching things much sooner this time around.

Still in coco. Same 50/50 perlite mix. I have had way less issues this round by running 1ml/gal of drip clean. Last round I was only running .4ml as suggested. This has cleared up all the lockout issues I was experiencing last round. I also add a top dress of recharge every so often and started Mammoth P at .6ml/gal in my res. Thet are taking 1.4 to 1.5 EC and no burns. I am thinking the light makes them eat more. I've backed it down after taping.

I vegged under the 315 CMH until it got too hot and then bought the Starlite Helios 320. That was also too much light. I had to raise the light as well. Luckily this light came with a dimmer option. The plants seem might happier and way more green today after taping.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Last edited:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok fuck yeah now that is what I like to see =) gj man.

Drip Clean is awesome stuff there is a huge thread on it filled with great info here somewhere. I really liked the stuff when I used it and I just ran basic h3ad formula for nutes. Plants were awesome. I don't know if you ever saw the old h3ad thread, should be in coco forum, but it is an awesome read.

Thet are taking 1.4 to 1.5 EC and no burns.

Hmmm...I will keep some bottled nutes on hand just in case my soil mix is missing anything. I am guessing soil they will eat a lot more cal and mg we will see though.

I was going to use my helios 320 to clone with but now I am having second thoughts might be best to test =)

saitama

Ok fuck yeah now that is what I like to see =) gj man.

Drip Clean is awesome stuff there is a huge thread on it filled with great info here somewhere. I really liked the stuff when I used it and I just ran basic h3ad formula for nutes. Plants were awesome. I don't know if you ever saw the old h3ad thread, should be in coco forum, but it is an awesome read.

Hmmm...I will keep some bottled nutes on hand just in case my soil mix is missing anything. I am guessing soil they will eat a lot more cal and mg we will see though.

I was going to use my helios 320 to clone with but now I am having second thoughts might be best to test =)

Yeah the Helios is also a monster. Does yours come with a dimmer? Mine did and I think I'll be using it.

What type of film are you planning to use? I need to go to HD or Lowe's today to pick some up. The tape is helping but the tops are still a little bleached. Thing is ridiculously strong.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah the Helios is also a monster. Does yours come with a dimmer? Mine did and I think I'll be using it.

What type of film are you planning to use? I need to go to HD or Lowe's today to pick some up. The tape is helping but the tops are still a little bleached. Thing is ridiculously strong.

If you mean to cover the lights I am just going to use single/multiple layers of green house screen/film whatever you want to call it or something like porch screen. I figure start off with what I think is bit too much and keep pulling layers off as they grow.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/solexx-xp-per-linear-foot/plastic-greenhouse-film

Quick Description: These twinwall plastic panels are 3.5mm thick and made of high density polyethylene infused with UV inhibitors for a warrantied life of at least 10 years. Solexx panels provide a soft, diffused light allowing 70-75% of the natural light to pass through for optimal growing conditions. Sold by the linear foot.

I figure leave the perimeter lights open and put 2 of these to start seedlings covering the middle 4 lights or maybe just cover whole damn light for seedlings lol and do the middle light thing when they are 15~ inches. A single piece of window screen is probably quite effective too...

We have some testing to do.

This is kind of pain but ya know we could be bitching about too little light lol :p

saitama

If you mean to cover the lights I am just going to use single/multiple layers of green house screen/film whatever you want to call it or something like porch screen. I figure start off with what I think is bit too much and keep pulling layers off as they grow.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/solexx-xp-per-linear-foot/plastic-greenhouse-film

I figure leave the perimeter lights open and put 2 of these to start seedlings covering the middle 4 lights or maybe just cover whole damn light for seedlings lol and do the middle light thing when they are 15~ inches. A single piece of window screen is probably quite effective too...

We have some testing to do.

This is kind of pain but ya know we could be bitching about too little light lol :p

Sounds like a plan. I might have to follow suit! The middle lights are considerably stronger than the outer lights. Not are why they did it this way rather than spread evenly. Maybe a better question for Ken.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a plan. I might have to follow suit! The middle lights are considerably stronger than the outer lights. Not are why they did it this way rather than spread evenly. Maybe a better question for Ken.

Just my guess what I posit is that the middle are "so much stronger" because they are not angled at all and really couldn't be angled like most of the others because they were trying to achieve full coverage for standard sizes we use like 4x4's. LED'S have very direct beams of light which was what the problems were from their older versions and not being bale to achieve coverage. What they maybe should have done is allow a way for the 4 middle bulbs to be dimmable. I have a feeling future versions will be this way. Dimmer seems the best answer to me that I have conjured up. No one wants to switch bulbs in and out and putting weaker ones int he center is certainly not a good option either imo which would make them less useful in large warehouses/high ceilings. By being as strong as they are they are also more versatile for different environments we just need a dimmer....

To be honest with you I am ecstatic these lights put out what they do. This really is the gavita killer. They are completely versatile for many different environments and completely cover all standardized floor patterns we use for growing.

You may not feel as happy as I do since you were the test bunny, but damn man the fix to this is going to be real easy for us even in the absence of a dimmer.

-25% light per sheet with a cheap easily available solution makes both the math and fix EASY imo.

saitama

Just my guess what I posit is that the middle are "so much stronger" because they are not angled at all and really couldn't be angled like most of the others because they were trying to achieve full coverage for standard sizes we use like 4x4's. LED'S have very direct beams of light which was what the problems were from their older versions and not being bale to achieve coverage. What they maybe should have done is allow a way for the 4 middle bulbs to be dimmable. I have a feeling future versions will be this way. Dimmer seems the best answer to me that I have conjured up. No one wants to switch bulbs in and out and putting weaker ones int he center is certainly not a good option either imo which would make them less useful in large warehouses/high ceilings. By being as strong as they are they are also more versatile for different environments we just need a dimmer....

To be honest with you I am ecstatic these lights put out what they do. This really is the gavita killer. They are completely versatile for many different environments and completely cover all standardized floor patterns we use for growing.

You may not feel as happy as I do since you were the test bunny, but damn man the fix to this is going to be real easy for us even in the absence of a dimmer.

-25% light per sheet with a cheap easily available solution makes both the math and fix EASY imo.

Oh I'm happy. I guess I just can't wait until the girls are used to full strength!

I could be wrong, but to my eyes, the middle lights are actually brighter and more intense. Maybe someone from Ursa can chime in.

I taped up the center lights a bit more last night and they are much happier this AM. Pics tonight hopefully at lights on.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok cool canopy makes sense now then. I was wondering if the intense light had really stunted the front two that much good it is not the case. Great recovery man they will be booming soon.

URSA LED

Vendor

Hi Saitama,

We use a 120 degree lens' on the inside COBS and use 90 degree lens' on the outer ones. This is to make the spread more even on the edges without losing the power in the middle. We definitely did not anticipate it being too strong.

A dimming option is in the works, we will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

I could be wrong, but to my eyes, the middle lights are actually brighter and more intense. Maybe someone from Ursa can chime in.

We actually use all the same COBs throughout the whole fixture, so the reason the light seems more intense on the inside is because of the spill over light from the outer COBs

saitama

Day 5. Some stretch going in. Lady in the bottom left looks to be either stunted or indica leaning. The others are getting pretty tall.

EGTLpj9.jpg

0m43Pem.jpg

YXQdU9R.jpg

Last edited:

saitama

Ladies are looking wonderful once again.
:tiphat:

I believe this is actual day 6 or 7. I'm going to call it day 7. When I switched the first time, I realized that the settings didn't take on my timer and I actually went 14/10 on the following day and 12/12 on day 2. Splitting hairs at the point, but the reason I am doing so is to see if this far red lighting is working. Girls are showing sex and preflowers.

DnDLIvW.jpg

JB1Fh6g.jpg