What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unofficial Coco Coir Growers Thread

B

bonecarver_OG

i have tried ripen once indoors and now im going to try it with a fw outdoor plants. our thought was to just give ripen instead of the canna for the last 2 weeksmaybe and then flush for one week. the fact ripen is really free of N should make it get the leaf yellow - atleast it did indoors - i couldnt really say if it affected the flavour really - gotto give it more trys.

peace

Bongojaz

Crazy Leaf said:
i really wanna know how i should water , pour till i see some coming through drainage holes? thanks in advance

from what i've been reading, most people do, some don't. i always feed until i get at least 20% run-off. i'd say minimum 10%. i've used the canna a+b before. good stuff. i wasn't able to flush and i couldn't taste anything but good bud. wasn't harsh at all!!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes you're best off watering until some comes out the bottom again. the water must be able to drain off though, you don't want your pot of coco sitting in a puddle of nutrient solution.

G

I don't always have runoff when I hand water my coco. But I do try and water once a week with about 20 - 25% runoff...just to release anything that may of built up over the past week.

Cheers,
SH

G

I am using Atami Bcuzz coco coir, cut with about 30% perlite, and using 3 gallon pots. I am not seeing any runoff what so ever... I took one of the plants and poured about 2 gallons of water into the pot only to find that most of the water was retained in the pot... can someone explain this? Could it be the perlite? Or could the coco be bad in some way? Info would be greatly appreciated!

Blatant

Well Two gallons of anything going into a Three gallon pot will not have run off. C'mon man do the Math. You should be feeding it 4 gallons each feed. Whats your way of Growing? Hand Waterer? Hydro Head? Whatcha Got? Be specific as possible it will help.

Silly Rabbit
Blatant :wave:

Bongojaz

Indica Sativa said:
I am using Atami Bcuzz coco coir, cut with about 30% perlite, and using 3 gallon pots. I am not seeing any runoff what so ever... I took one of the plants and poured about 2 gallons of water into the pot only to find that most of the water was retained in the pot... can someone explain this? Could it be the perlite? Or could the coco be bad in some way? Info would be greatly appreciated!
unless this was the first time you watered you should see plenty of runoff. i always pre-moisten my coco before planting in it. you don't need to pour even a gallon into your containers. when i'm in 5 gallon buckets i water 2 x a day. it doesn't even take 1/2 liter to get my minimum of 10% runoff, unless they're really sucking it up. it would cost a fortune to feed even a few plants if it took 4 gallons each watering. you want that runoff "every time."

G

Bongojaz said:
unless this was the first time you watered you should see plenty of runoff. i always pre-moisten my coco before planting in it. you don't need to pour even a gallon into your containers. when i'm in 5 gallon buckets i water 2 x a day. it doesn't even take 1/2 liter to get my minimum of 10% runoff, unless they're really sucking it up. it would cost a fortune to feed even a few plants if it took 4 gallons each watering. you want that runoff "every time."

Thats cool... but it doesn't answer my question as to why my bcuzz coco is retaining soo much water. I am not receiving the runoff that everyone here is getting when they water their coco.

Well Two gallons of anything going into a Three gallon pot will not have run off. C'mon man do the Math. You should be feeding it 4 gallons each feed. Whats your way of Growing? Hand Waterer? Hydro Head? Whatcha Got? Be specific as possible it will help.

I honestly hope you are being sarcastic....

Last edited:
G

Indica Sativa said:

It's definitely not the perlite..the perlite will help with more runoff, as it doesn't absorb water.

Was this the 1st time watering the coco? If it was...then that explains things. It needs to be hydrated first.

If it's not the first watering...then I would say you're letting your pots dry out too much. Coco can be kept moist, unlike peat based mixes.

Water every day...and you will see runoff....providing you have drain holes.

Cheers,
SH

B

bonecarver_OG

hm..

odd!

id change brand of coco and see if it changes... atami coco should be ok as far as i know though...

i have tried mixing perlite with no problems.. vermiculite also - but it keeps too much humidity and its no good for coco growing really..

peace

G

Next time around I guess I will switch brands. I just borrowed some of botanicare's coco from a friend, and guess what? It drains just fine... :badday:

G

I love the botanicare's 5kg bale. About 11.95 @ plant it earth

Im with ya on that one :wave: Should have used it to begin with instead of the other stuff.

stikky budz

I'm using Atami B'cuzz coco substrate (with 20% perlite) and it drains just fine. Love the stuff :D I dunno what the problem is (packed too tight maybe?)

Bongojaz

^^^ me too!!! drains fine ^^^
hey indica, are you sure you didn't use vermic instead of perlite?

Last edited:
G

hey indica, are you sure you didn't use vermic instead of perlite?

im not retarded for christ sake :fsu:

Sorry for the prick response ^^^^:rasta:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts