What's new

Unofficial Coco Coir Growers Thread

G

Hello, I have been using CoCo by B'cuzz as my growing medium for some time now. I am currently using botanicare pro blend nutrients. I am considering buying the Canna line of CoCo specific nutrients and was wondering if it is also imporant to use Canna brand CoCo when using these products rather than B'cuzz CoCo.

Thanks,
Thumb

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

G

Thumb said:
Hello, I have been using CoCo by B'cuzz as my growing medium for some time now. I am currently using botanicare pro blend nutrients. I am considering buying the Canna line of CoCo specific nutrients and was wondering if it is also imporant to use Canna brand CoCo when using these products rather than B'cuzz CoCo.

Thanks,
Thumb

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Not really necassary to get canna brand coco. Just make sure you buy good coco, as I'm sure you already do. I use the bonticare bales(really cheap price), but I have heard that bounce is really good, while others love the coco pucks....much coarser apparently.

Cheers,
SC

Crazy Leaf

this friday my plant will be 3 weeks old , i havent added any nutes yet , im growing in 100% coco , i know 50 is recommended but i cant find perlite anywhere and i cant order over the net , well the plant looks real healthy , i was wondering if i should start using the nutes my next watering?

Blatant

Three weeks? Wow! I don't know how you got this far without adding any, But I would start as soon as possible. Don't sweat not being able to cut the Coco with anything, it won't be so bad without anything. Less watering tho! Start low dose and work your way up, if you never ran Coco before.

Blatant
:wave:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I popped my Casey Jones in 100% coco (Botanicare)....I innoculated the coco with Botanicare nutrient/additives and enzymes (Cannazyme)....and fed at week 2

So basically they had nutrient from the start....

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
jinxie said:
For all you hand watering folks remember that just because coco cannot be overwatered it doesn't mean you HAVE to water every day or second day.
Coco is suitable for soil like applications where hand watering occurs every 3-4 days on average.

Watering until some runoff occurs is always good, 25% runoff is a waste just alittle runoff is fine unless you typically overfeed them.
I feed PBPro with calamg @5ml/gallon every 2nd or 3rd watering depending on the growth stage, I used worm casting teas with molasses and some kelp meal as a plain watering between feeding but this is overkill.
You can also feed coco from the bottom up, just fill the saucers under you pots and watch it dissappear.
Human Nature and I duscussed this in PM and he has convinced me that the water as needed approach is better....he told me the key was to go light on the nutrient.... makes $ense to me

I am about to convert a recirc DWC to a coco/perlite run to waste...

Handwatering in veg...for now

Thanks for this post bro :wave:

Raque

lurker said:
from a growshop guy, advising me to use the blocks only with a dripping system.
seemingly nutes go away with the water, so the plants need more waterings and food

LMFAO.

Now I've heard it all - I think they should pass a law and all fucking retarded people should be required to wear a sign that says "I'M A FUCKING RETARD, LISTEN AT YOUR OWN RISK". Tell your growshop guy he should start wearing that sign please.

G

-VT- said:
Human Nature and I duscussed this in PM and he has convinced me that the water as needed approach is better....he told me the key was to go light on the nutrient.... makes $ense to me

I am about to convert a recirc DWC to a coco/perlite run to waste...

Handwatering in veg...for now

Thanks for this post bro :wave:

I agree to a point...but you don't want to let coco dry out like a peat based mix. You know...the lift method. Coco tends to bind alot of food, and the dryer it gets..the more salts it releases. I water every 2nd day whether they are drying or not....even 200ml each is good. It adds oxegen to the roots, and keeps the salts bound up.

I have tried both ways. When I first starting using coco, I treated it like peat based mixes...didn't work near as well as keeping it moist.

Cheers,
SH

HYDROJUNKIE

watering should not be based on days but the plants needs,....if the medium is still very moist on the 2nd or 3rd day just leave it alone,....no sense in wasting nutes if the plant hasnt finished what it was last fed.....
theres alot of things to factor into a watering schedule,....room temps,humidity,pot size,etc.
I have had 1 gallon pots in my room not need watering for a week due to plants being small(veg) and very cool room temps...
I have a moisture meter that tells me the moisture in the pot,...very cheap, handy device if your not sure,..but you can generally get a feel for whats dry by that ''spongy'' feel you get when you stick your finger into the medium or by the weight of the pot.

To find the correct watering schedule you must first know how many days a plant needs watering in ''your'' environment.
if its dry on the 4th day set the pump to flood or water on the 3rd day and keep adjusting the schedule as the plants mature....

There is alot of truth to what suburbanhomeboy is saying to not let the coco dry out,....growth will come to a halt and you will lose days of growth in whatever stage due to the plant having 25% of its root system drying out and having to regenerate fresh roots,not too mention the salt buildup that can be real bad with coco...(ive had some nasty looking crunchy leaves!)

but if your not into efficiency or monitoring plants just flood everyday and forget what I said,...its hard to overwater coco but you will waste nutes no doubt. :wave:

Last edited:
G

HYDROJUNKIE said:
but if your not into efficiency or monitoring plants just flood everyday and forget what I said,...its hard to overwater coco but you will waste nutes no doubt. :wave:

Thats why I stated...even just 200ml per plant. That is not a flood...but more of a snack. It provides more benifits to the roots, that not adding anything will.

Cheers,
SH

Crazy Leaf

Blatant said:
Three weeks? Wow! I don't know how you got this far without adding any, But I would start as soon as possible. Don't sweat not being able to cut the Coco with anything, it won't be so bad without anything. Less watering tho! Start low dose and work your way up, if you never ran Coco before.

Blatant

yea people were telling me to water for a few weeks , although i know coco has no nutes to begin with , plant just looks so healthy atm and i just got a feeling i should start feeding , thanks for clearing that up man. yep less watering , i watered maybe 4-5 days ago , next waterings within a day or two and ill be sure to supply the nutes

bongoman

All this talk about coco has got me curious.

I've got a few seedlings in soil right now. How would I go transplanting them into coco? Would it be a bad thing going from soil to coco?

They only have 2 sets of leaves so is still early days.

Also, I know there is a thread about outdoor coco which is what I want to do here. Is there any reason not to do coco outdoors? Can I LST in coco or does this risk pulling the plant out of the pot?

If I go coco outdoors, I can keep the plants out of the rain so that is no problem.

Is there an optimal coco/perlite ratio for outdoors? Should I use perlite or hydroton or both with coco?

Am about to go to the shop and buy a 50litre bag of canna coco, plus Canna A+B nutes - should I also get Rizotonic?

Any clues would be appreciated.

B

bonecarver_OG

there might be problems for the root ball with the soil keeping humidity. if the root ball is very small thye problem is not going to get too big :D

in coco u can aply any kind of training techinique u want :D

u can try with perlite and hydroton but tis not necesary :D

all the cana - aditives works ok :D

peace

bongoman

Thanks bonecarver - I'd actually PM'd you about this but then thought it was best out in the forums. So ignore my PM to you :)

Maybe I should transplant now toget them into coco before the root ball gets to involved with the soil?

I'm actually growing LowRyder #2 as I want to get a quick crop off before Xmas and from what I can tell, LR#2 is quite different to the original LowRyder:

Lowryder #2 has been infused with superior Santa Maria genetics, a variety known for copious resin production, exotic taste and soaring highs, it is an indica / sativa hybrid originally from Brazil. The cross was subsequently selectively inbred for three generations.

The result is an auto-flowering dwarf that yields a wonderfully strong, head-turning smoke with intoxicating taste. The strength and flavor is backed by copious resin production and much-improved yield and stability. Buds are larger, tighter and more aromatic than the original Lowryder.

So basically, LR#2 is an F4 Santa Maria x LR.

Should I be OK in 1 gallon pots with coco with these dwarf plants?

Do I need to soak Canna Coco first?

And when they instructions say 40ml per 10 litres, do they mean 40ml of A and 40ml of B OR 20ml of each?

Last edited:
G

bongoman said:
Thanks bonecarver - I'd actually PM'd you about this but then thought it was best out in the forums. So ignore my PM to you :)

Maybe I should transplant now toget them into coco before the root ball gets to involved with the soil?

I'm actually growing LowRyder #2 as I want to get a quick crop off before Xmas and from what I can tell, LR#2 is quite different to the original LowRyder:

So basically, LR#2 is an F4 Santa Maria x LR.

Should I be OK in 1 gallon pots with coco with these dwarf plants?

Do I need to soak Canna Coco first?

And when they instructions say 40ml per 10 litres, do they mean 40ml of A and 40ml of B OR 20ml of each?

be carefeul transplanting such a young baby. If it's in a small container...then why not wait till it's a bit bigger to handle the transplant.

1G container is fine for LR or any other starin, as long as you stay on top of watering.

I don't use canna, but I do use a coco A&B nute...and I would assume it's 40ml each. Usually, put in the A first...a nice stirring, then add the B. 40ml seems like alot. I don't know the canna line, but maybe wanna cut that back abit for a youngin.

Cheers,
SH

B

bonecarver_OG

definetly cut the nutes back a bit for the tiny seedlings :D about max a 1/10 strength works fine.

with canna coco only very nutrition hungry plants will want 40/40 nutes. around 65%-75% of that works fine. (i.e around 26 ml is good in veg)

peace all

G

anybody try this stuff yet?

CNS17™ CNS17
A One-part, Stand alone Hydroponic Fertilizer Formulated for Coir Fiber
Designed with the commercial grower in mind, CNS17™ is a highly concentrated, economical fertilizer that produces professional results at an affordable price. CANS™ is element rich and ideal for producing consumable goods.
CNS17™ is ideally suited to a wide range of vegetable, flower, and fruiting crops grown in hydroponics, soil, or soilless grow substrates.
While CNS17™ is very effective in all substrates, growers using Coir fiber will be particularly impressed. CANS17™ is formulated to contain optimum levels of calcium and nitrogen required to offset the high level of potassium that naturally occurs in Coir Fiber.
CANS17™ is the result of new production technology allowing us to create a professional strength one part, stand alone fertilizer containing all the required nutrient ions in the correct balance.
Combining high levels of calcium with sulfates and phosphates CNS17™ provides a guaranteed complete spectrum of plant nutrients. Virtually no other commercial hydroponic single part nutrient offers the spectrum of nutrients contained in CNS17™.
Additionally, when diluted with water, the molecular composition of CNS17™ allows the organic structures to hydrolyze providing an energy source for beneficial microbes in solution.
CNS17™ contains chelates, which protect ions such as iron, manganese, and zinc improving plant availability under a range of conditions. Nitrogen is supplied almost entirely as the optimum nitrate source.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
suburbanhomeboy said:
I agree to a point...but you don't want to let coco dry out like a peat based mix. You know...the lift method. Coco tends to bind alot of food, and the dryer it gets..the more salts it releases. I water every 2nd day whether they are drying or not....even 200ml each is good. It adds oxegen to the roots, and keeps the salts bound up.

I have tried both ways. When I first starting using coco, I treated it like peat based mixes...didn't work near as well as keeping it moist.

Cheers,
SH

I agree....I had isses with a Trainwreck clone letting the coco get to dry and I am a big fan of DO to the root zone.... :yes:

You and HYDROJUNKIE both make excellent points :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts