What's new

Unclefishstick's Guide to Home Bicycle Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still have to mount the fan & filter , get everything buttoned up hook up the controllers & test fire everything . then lay out the trays , get them leveled , clean & hook up the rez's & lines to each table ..... Damn !!! still ALOT to do ....

I think its Puffin time again !!!! :smoke out:

After looking at things again & thinkin more about it .... i'm going to put a carbon filter on the lighting vent system too like Unc suggested . just for piece of mind & 0 chance that i'll be blowing the stink into my work room & the rest of the house !!!

Last edited:

captain planet

Veteran
Damn you guys are going all pro on me! :)

Thank Baby jeebus you pulled that carpet up Unc, never seemed right having a carpeted workshop :)

captain planet

Veteran
My one 6" filter def can't keep up with the Glue, I've resorted to heating up bacon grease everytime I get nervous.....mmm glue and bacon

pappy masonjar

Veteran
i think the word is serendipitious..

i think the word is serendipitious..

... or lucky timing, i guess. As you fellas know, after my current run is finished, im setting up my new room. So i couldnt be more happy that dan and unc are setting up new rooms. Im still planning on starting a thread to have people help me set up my room, but ill need you guys here the most. Anyways, for the time being im am gratefully watching and taking notes.

Dan, your room looks absolutely AMAZING. I'm sooo envious of your building/electrical knowledge. I really wish we were real life buddies so you could help me with mine.:tiphat:
Your room looks as clean/organized/efficient as they come. One thing i did notice though. I have run experiments. It is much more effective/efficient to pull air through your lights, insteading of pushing air. I cant tell for sure, but it looks like your set up is pushing. I could be wrong. The difference is big, when i changed mine from pushing, to pulling air through, my max temps went from 87, to 80. I had my inline set up exactly like yours is in the pic. The fix is super simple, move the 6" inline to the end of the duct cycle. Just have to hang it near where it exits. Kinda like in the diagram you posted. (if im being confusing; which i sometimes am when i post in the middle of the night; just ask and i can put up a couple pics to be more clear)
Anyways, i couldnt be more impressed with your set up. You truly deserve it. and im glad you have the aero cloners now. So you dont have to worry about cloning probs.

One last thing. When i started reading this:

This should wind up sealed tighter than a nuns ass by the time i'm done . i might even put some quarter round all around the bottom edge where the walls meet the floor . just to neaten & tighten it up a little .

still deciding the best way to ventilate everything . i'd like to use the heat from the 4 x4 veg room (600 watts MH ) during lights off in the flower room , but don't want it during lights on . that means another fan & timer or damper .
i dunno i'll get it figured out .

I'm pretty sure i'm going to just scrub the air in the room & keep it seperate from the lights cooling system . it should be a sealed enough room to do that . plus it would be alot less bends in the duct work . the lighting exhaust is the hole above the door , that will heat the work area of the garden . (my table , nutes , seed/clone cabinet & the small veg cabinet ) plus the heat from the 2 cabinets should keep it toasty enough for the little girls .

I thought to myself, "Yes! how lucky am I. This is exactly what i what to see right now, grow room ideas" ..and then i came to this part...
Sorry guys ... just rambling out load . it helps me decide & lets you guys give yer input too :)

You dont gotta apologize! You are helping people, whether you know it or not. I pm'ed a question to unc once, and after he answerd my question he told me, 'feel free to ask these questions in the bike thread. You never know who you might help'. Somethin like that, at least. And there are plenty of lurkers of this thread too. So your info helps many brother dan:thank you: myself very included:tiphat:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dan, your room looks absolutely AMAZING. I'm sooo envious of your building/electrical knowledge. I really wish we were real life buddies so you could help me with mine.
Your room looks as clean/organized/efficient as they come. One thing i did notice though. I have run experiments. It is much more effective/efficient to pull air through your lights, insteading of pushing air. I cant tell for sure, but it looks like your set up is pushing. I could be wrong. The difference is big, when i changed mine from pushing, to pulling air through, my max temps went from 87, to 80. I had my inline set up exactly like yours is in the pic. The fix is super simple, move the 6" inline to the end of the duct cycle. Just have to hang it near where it exits. Kinda like in the diagram you posted. (if im being confusing; which i sometimes am when i post in the middle of the night; just ask and i can put up a couple pics to be more clear)
Anyways, i couldnt be more impressed with your set up. You truly deserve it. and im glad you have the aero cloners now. So you dont have to worry about cloning probs.

Thanx Pappy :

I tend to ramble on occasion ... so thats why the appology .

Not to be contradictory .... but everything i've read including the ventilation 101 thread says to push air through the lights for best efficiancy . not to mention that it saves the fan by not pulling hot air through it . i've always set up with it blowing through the lights & pulling from the filter first ..... but if i do run into heat problems ... i will defenatly give your way a try !!!

pappy I hope this helps some of the problems i've been having here . one thing it will cure is no more low RH in veg cuz of the AC suckin the humidity out . so my cloning & killing of seeds should be at an end !!!

this room is going to take some tweeking & changing .... they always do .... but i think i've got a pretty good start on a decent flower chamber :)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking good dan,thats going to work much better than the way you had things before

pappy,that may be true for single lamps but with a 3 lamp run like that the fan will last longer blowing through because the hot air can fry the bearing grease faster..

third...lol,oh yeah,you just wait till i have the lung room all set up and all covered in reflectix,that shits gonna be nasa tight yo! and the gavita and hortilux eye blue combo is gonna be the biznezz...and everything on casters...i wonder if they make chrome rims for those?

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Thanx Pappy :

Not to be contradictory .... but everything i've read including the ventilation 101 thread says to push air through the lights for best efficiancy . not to mention that it saves the fan by not pulling hot air through it . i've always set up with it blowing through the lights & pulling from the filter first ..... but if i do run into heat problems ... i will defenatly give your way a try !!!

I guess its like unc was saying, Damn stoners cant agree on anything!!
I decided to switch mine around after reading that it is 10x more effiecent to pull. Talk about a descrepensy in information! I dont know about bearing grease, but i will say i absolutely found it to be true. My 4' x 5' flowering chamber was maxing at 87. And i was only running it at 750 watts most of the time, to keep the heat under control. After i switched it, i was able to turn my ballast to 1000, and add 250 watts of cfl, and it only maxed at 82. (80 without cfls). O yeah, and the person i heard this from, the 10x more effiecent stuff, was that Rev guy. I dunno if your familiar with him. He preaches that True Living Organics, and is the cultivation editor of Skunk magazine. He does have some contraversial views, like if you can only have one light in bloom, it should be a MH. 400 watt EYe cool blues at that. I do love those, but i dont think i agree with that statement. Anyways, he did have scientific type stuff to back up his ventalation claims, and in my personal experience it rang true. Not sure about 10x, but def a big difference. And again, i never considered the heats effect on the fan, but for my setup it isnt a problem. ive felt the air comin outta there. its not hot at all really. just kinda warm. but i only have a 1k hps/mh and a 400 cool blue mh. And if it isshortening my fans life, its well worth it to me.

and for the record, i dont put much faith into everything the rev says, he knows his organics, and i agree with him on the vent issue, but he is somewhat of a bullshiter in my eyes. He has made a few claims i find questionable. Like, that the "original purple haze is 50% real deal panama red". Im pretty sure its pretty well established that the original purple haze was just a purple columbian phenotype of O. haze. But its not just that, hes says all kinds of loopy stuff.

looking good dan,thats going to work much better than the way you had things before

pappy,that may be true for single lamps but with a 3 lamp run like that the fan will last longer blowing through because the hot air can fry the bearing grease faster..

third...lol,oh yeah,you just wait till i have the lung room all set up and all covered in reflectix,that shits gonna be nasa tight yo! and the gavita and hortilux eye blue combo is gonna be the biznezz...and everything on casters...i wonder if they make chrome rims for those?

they make rims for everything. i saw a homeless person with rims on a shopping cart on you tube. Bum Fights. I recomend it to everyone.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL ... i changed it around already !!! :biggrin:

I figure why the hell can't i just use the fan & scrubber to feed air into the 4 x 4 room . i'll just use a speed controller so i'm not creating positive pressure by forcing to much air in . & this way i did away with that long intake run from the window to the other end of the room where the 4 x 4 is . now i have both intakes equal distance from the window & both are passive .... i may have to add a fan to one of them ..... we'll see .

this way the only thing feeding my work room is the lighting vent system . no T on the vent ... its alot cleaner looking & flows better . i'll put a scrubber on it down between the 2 intakes where my fan is ... that way i have 2 scrubbers in the room blowing clean air into 2 locations ......

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn Dan your moving right up the ole suk list :good:
Sounds like the bike repair shop knows more about how fans work than the 101 folks lol

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey,were not just a bunch of pretty faces around here,we have occasionally been known to crank out the dank...

speaking of dankness,got a 10/10 on my sprout,5 strawberry diesel and 5 chimera's mental floss,no helmet heads either...gonna get some of my cindy99 f3's going too and the last 5 sssdh seeds i have..

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanx G :)

morning gang :coffee:

shut the TV off at 3am .... woke up at 5:30 starving !!!! I guess i forgot to eat last night lol

got some running to do , but should be back in the rooms by dinner time i hope ! still have alot to do !!!

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like the bike repair shop knows more about how fans work than the 101 folks lol

did ya skim through it G ? am I fukin up or what ???

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed: mornin gang...

3am?!? crap,i was asleep by 11 or so last night,and up at 7 as usual...too bad i can never get anything done in the morning aside from drink coffee and slowly warm up the brain systems...got a bunch of stuff to do today,go to home despot,do a load of laundry,grab some groceries....hopefully i can get all this stuff dealt with today and take a couple of days for bike adventure fun time....want to go out fossil hunting one day and go scout some nearby camping locations in the 10 mile range and start making a sweet little camping spot....aint blm land great? you guys from back east would hardly believe the gigantic tracts of land around here...all owned by us since its government land...and the wide range of stuff that perfectly legal to do...i may try a bit of trail building...my own personal ride in camp spot...

pappy masonjar

Veteran
we have occasionally been known to crank out the dank...

speaking of dankness,got a 10/10 on my sprout,5 strawberry diesel and 5 chimera's mental floss,no helmet heads either...gonna get some of my cindy99 f3's going too and the last 5 sssdh seeds i have..

Speaking of cranking out the dank, those are some top shelf strains you got goin on over there :headbange

make sure you save some straw D. So it can win in the next nugs n jugs. Its on my bucket list to get that goin again one day. Soon as it goes legal nationwide. Im trying to be optimistic and say thatll happen within 6 yrs. But hey, im a dreamer!!

And Gala, i dont know if dan got that '2 Stage Ventalation' diagram from the 101 thread, but if he did, somebody over there also does it the pulling-air way. Thats how it was in the diagram at least. They had it how i was told is absolutely optimal: lights--->ducting---->inline--->ducting----> scrubber. But sometimes its hard to put the scrubber at the end, depending on where you are venting to.(i dont know how much that part matters) Unless... do they make scrubbers that you can put ducting on both sides, and run the air through it somehow? Instead of only being able to use them at the beginning, or end of the vent cycle. And if the do make those, are they nearly as good as the regular kind?
I dont know really know anything about air scrubbers, im planning on buying one very soon though. Prolly one of those Phresh filters. Those are good right?

Dan, i know the last time i tried to give you advice, it didnt turn out so good. But i actually have personal experience with this one. And in my experience, with 2 lights and 1400 watts total(600 hps/800 mh), its been much better this way. So, i would think your not fukin up:)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bug i only like to spray one thing at a time,never know how things will interact...

i run 2 6 inch fans through my lamp ducts,one pushing air,one pulling air,works for me...
pappy a good filter shouldnt impede your airflow too much but bigger is generally better up to a point,i run two 6x24 inch filters in my 8x12 space but im upgrading to an 8x30 on one filter to help deal with the glue funk...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that's the only thing left I need to do get some reflectix. I'm using panda now but like the Reflectix better.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
did ya skim through it G ? am I fukin up or what ???
The bearings will last longer and the motor will too because they will both run cooler. That said I think 1 reason to not push air through the lihgt is a safety thing. Seems I read somewhere you should not push to the light for fear of exploding the bulb. Like unc said if it was just 1 x 600 it wouldnt really mater but you pump 1800 and it could. Think about how much heat a 1500 watt heater puts out :chin: Besides these are high static pressure fans we are talking about. If they can breath in fresh air they are damn sure gonna push it out As far as efficiency my dog will never be in that fight. Its a coin toss at best. The only thing I might would do different is use larger ducting :good:

Speaking of cranking out the dank, those are some top shelf strains you got goin on over there

make sure you save some straw D. So it can win in the next nugs n jugs. Its on my bucket list to get that goin again one day. Soon as it goes legal nationwide. Im trying to be optimistic and say thatll happen within 6 yrs. But hey, im a dreamer!!

And Gala, i dont know if dan got that '2 Stage Ventalation' diagram from the 101 thread, but if he did, somebody over there also does it the pulling-air way. Thats how it was in the diagram at least. They had it how i was told is absolutely optimal: lights--->ducting---->inline--->ducting----> scrubber. But sometimes its hard to put the scrubber at the end, depending on where you are venting to.(i dont know how much that part matters) Unless... do they make scrubbers that you can put ducting on both sides, and run the air through it somehow? Instead of only being able to use them at the beginning, or end of the vent cycle. And if the do make those, are they nearly as good as the regular kind?
I dont know really no anything about air scrubbers, im planning on buying one very soon though. Prolly one of those Phresh filters. Those are good right?

Dan, i know the last time i tried to give you advice, it didnt turn out so good. But i actually have personal experience with this one. And in my experience, with 2 lights and 1400 watts total(600 hps/800 mh), its been much better this way. So, i would think your not fukin up
Your idea will also work. Hell your fan may even last 10 years :dunno: But heat is a killer of anything except cactus lol
I'm not a filter guru but air flow I can do :D When shopping for a fan I look for 1 that will suit my needs, The same with filters. If you want to kill the smell your filter should be at the end of the line. If you want to stop dust you do that just before the fan for best results. Hardly nobody does things this way. Everyone puts the filter in the room with the fan pulling through it. Yup the filter will last longer cause the fan is more of a pusher then a puller. Pushing to the filter will shorten its life cause it is having more air moving through it at a higher volume. This is another fight I will keep my dog out of. Toss a coin they will both work. :tiphat:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
There are a few tricks I've learned, like when using ducting to vent a grow space have your passive intake to that space at least 2x as large as the ducting going out. So that would be 2 6inch ducts coming into the room for one 6inch duct that is venting the room. Doing this will drop the rooms temp by a few degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.