What's new

Unclefishstick's Guide to Home Bicycle Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
had a bit of excitement earlier...i forgot i had super cleaned the ogre the other day and it turns out theres such a thing as too clean for disc brake rotors....as in no friction whatsoever...good thing i didnt do as good a job with the front brakes! probably got some chain lube on the back is all...needed to adjust them anyway...disc brakes are one of the greatest things on a bike ever...

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oily brakes can be detrimental to your health & well being Unc !!! put the pipe down when working on such things !!! hate to see ya wrapped around a tree or part of somebodys bumper cuz you were glued when you were workin on the brakes :spanky:

I always wait till the job is done when someone or I'm working on my vans , & then its time to get blasted

speaking of the pipe !!!! puffin & passin :smoke out:

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just wipe them clean,but that does make it look pimpin'!

yeah i probably should have remembered to wipe the rotors down before i left but i was test out the front fender rack mark II version...i had used some spray degreaser to really get the chain and rear cassette cleaned up...should have grabbed to brake cleaner too i guess...i need new shop towels soon,about trashed the last batch of them...actually i need to get in and scuff the rotors with some fine sandpaper and hit the pads with a file real quick to bring everything back up to snuff...going for a long-ish ride tomorrow,about 40 miles,long because of the big ass hill i have to climb...it will make for a fun descent though...gonna need those brakes in top shape for that...

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Don't go to this guy's brake shop :bigeye:
picture.php

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have some stuff to learn,the camber has hydraulic brakes so i need to learn how to bleed the line and refill the rez.the shocks are air shocks but i havent messed with them yet,i need to do that to get the sag set right for me and then figure out the damping rate control and figure out if the lock outs can be done on the fly or they may be the kind i need to get off the bike,lock the shocks out and get back on.. i just got the special shock air pump but i have a feeling im going to be paying to have the shocks rebuilt when i need to do that since every bloody thing on a bike requires another 30 dollar tool that only does one thing....bikes are getting complicated,the frame on that bike is just crazy,im pretty sure its all one piece aside from the rear swingarm...
im sure glad i picked it up so cheap,its mega fun to ride...

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
The full suspension bikes are Tech as all heck these days and like you say bruz you pay top dollar for a tool that does one thing :yoinks:
Rebuilding front shockies are not fun at all :nono: You used to be able to with the early Rock Shox but these days they are super tech mini motorbike shockies now that require a mechanic, long gone are the days of doing it yourself :nono:
puff puff pass
:smoke out:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it really is like a human powered motocross bike,the forks and the mono rear shock and swingarm are just the same really,they are both fox shocks on this bike...i only wish it wasnt like 10 mile to the nearest trail,the 20 mile round trip to get home takes away from trail time...for now at least...the closest area its easy to do long loops and theres tons or trails and roads out there,and theres 3-4 area to explore with trails already so it will take a while to get bored...like years...and soon enough i will be able to tow another bike with me to go mountain biking in other areas...

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
DANS I don't see how U stand that cold up there Brrrr.
I use to like the cold, but not as much now lol getting older & colder Brrrrr. I heat with a small wood heater. it only suck when I have to cut & split the wood. burning it is the easy part.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
after 50 years Bug ..... i'm getting pretty tired of it myself . but i'm not a guy that likes the hot weather either ... so i stay up here . i really don't mind the cold .... its the ice & snow storms i can't stand .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have some stuff to learn,the camber has hydraulic brakes so i need to learn how to bleed the line and refill the rez.the shocks are air shocks but i havent messed with them yet
I musta missed something .... whats this camber you speak of ? you mention hydraulics & my curiosity peeks :biggrin:
is it the new mountain bike ? hydraulic brakes ... cool !!
I guess somebody was bound to put them on a bike sooner or later :)

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Wait.. so is that number 4? you got another one??
Or is that 3 like i think

Anyone who runs dry small buds for hash, Do you break them up first?
I do break them up a little bit. Ive tried doing it all different ways, and i always examine the left over bud/trim afterwards. If you dont break them up, all the trichs inside the bud will be left in the trash pile. :2cents:

DANS I don't see how U stand that cold up there Brrrr.
I use to like the cold, but not as much now lol getting older & colder ....

What r u talking about?? Dans doesnt get shit. He's always "just missing" the worst of it.
But i guess compared to you he's in Antarctica.

Hey i started that thread documenting the GDP crosses i made. They're looking good so far. I hope you all check it out.
GDP x PT
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GDP x FAM
picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Hey PF bruz, I think you might have gone a bit over board with your bloom booster :bigeye:, your plants are not looking the right colour :bigeye:
:smoke out:

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
boy,those new lamps put out a bunch of purple light!

pappy,thats number three,dan just forgot hes seen this one i think,i know he asked about the pup...

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Damn stoner:smoke: cant remember squat.

Mornin all:wave:

Them Stillers sure looked good last night. To bad its too little too late.
I cant stand when they dont win the super bowl.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts