What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

uk clone only! (and british bred strains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We can trade clones I asked.. It's part an parcel of conservation and it's not illegal anymore payaso removed it with Yortbogey from the TOU.. PK and Bubba are no relation on a genome level.. PK is more divergent and thus hardier on a scientific level https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22014239. This is the one I have it came from Canada and I believe has nothing to do with Bubba Kush.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi dave, thanks for the paper, but i dont see how it proves anything about the pk and bubba not being related. they may well not be related, but what makes you say with such certainty that they are not?
observationally, they share many traits... the same fadeout stripey leaf pattern, growth habit, bud shape, leaf shape, (except PK is more vigorous and slightly more internodal stretch) they share some of their terpene profile too.
To me the PK is like a bubba mixed with something more fruity like a blueberry - which yes would give it more divergence and thus more vigor and hardiness.

just a theory which may be wrong, so if you have more proof that you are right then i would be interested to hear it.

cheers

VG

mack 10

Veteran
I tried it too (the PK) and I also prefered the Bubba. Those coffee, hashy smells from the Bubb's just makes me smile.

PK was good but not as good, that batch anyway.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PK was mapped before Chemdog's clone, he had all his seeds taken from his fridge @ his parents farm. The analysis used on PK @ that time was not as well formulated as the latter research done on the Skunk Va.

Chemdog was the first mapping of the canabis genome.. The paper regarding this I am still looking for on my hard drive.

They noticed there was more sets of THCa markers on PK than on other strains that were also tested, If they were related they will have the same THCA markers.. The way the artice is wrote and the way the genome is shows the line was most likely naturalised not bred.. Bubba could be an IBL which is what you do to a pure line before you outcross you enhance favourable genes..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubba kush from my years of extensive research, botanical analysis and genetic understanding along with talking to folks who had it when it was made leads me to believe is a NL Hybrid made from Rouge Chemdog or OG pollen. A bag seed no less but a good one, because of the parentage. This make PK slightly more desirable in my book as you can likely find a better version of Bubba not even doing any real breeding work ;)

Hency why I don't touch Chem's and OG's as they are not stable enough

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To be able to make advantage of a trait like Heterosis you need divergent genes. Heterosis hides all the negatives. It's not breeding material.. For you to make use of a resistance gene SAR must be activated internally so that the genes needed for allocation into the progeny are intermixed into the next filal generation. I must thank herb for his wisdom in inadvertently pointing this out to me a while back or i'd be growing plants in p&D infested rooms to obtain the necissary resistant genetics :) Hope this helps

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting dave, but still not really any more than a theory just like my own take on it is theory

i cant see how bubba would be a NL hybrid with chem or og because there are no chem or OG phenos being found in the hundreds of S1s that have been grown out. the only terpene i found other than bubba ones in the S1's is the 'cheese' terpene which i always thought had been traced to afghan lines. i dont think anything as true breeding as the bubba could be an F1 hybrid.
there is, however, some bubba S1s that grow out and show a fair bit of purple :) - and i've read that the early bubba cuts were called 'green bubba' and 'purple bubba' before all the 'pre98' and katsu names were attached to them.

VG

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not saying it's an F1 hybrid, your saying that.. What I am saying is that Chemdog or OG kush created Bubba from this plant

The rest is just line breeding..

Line breeds are not F1 and the only way you would see chem or OG phenos is if it was dominant or the maternal DNA. That isn't going to be the case with NL which is the pinnicle of dioecious breeding work.. Also there are no cheese terpenes. There are cannabis terpenes.. What you you think this cheese terpene is if you have one isolated?

Lack of knowledge of IBL's is what you have. It's ok you will learn.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not a theory if it's proven by DNA analysis which it has been.. The link to the analysis is in this thread somewhere already, it's common knowledge as far as the Genome goes... See in the modern world we have 'Seed makers'. Folks who do real breeding work such as punnets & mathematics, There's pioneers who hunt genetics & rare strains and there's folks who just 'cross plants selected by others' and hope for the best using methods they know little about let alone could explain in any detail.

I'm having a hard time trying not to open a can of whoop ass here..

Basically that kind of DNA work isn't done cheap. It's not for hack breeders to use as refrenceing material it's done to further the understanding of heterosis and interactions between genes.. PK has no genes relevent to any known world Cannabis hence it's Hindu Kush ancestory..

We know this from mapping the genome to prevent Transgenic strains and GMO Monsanto cannabis

Cheesegez

It's not a theory if it's proven by DNA analysis which it has been.. The link to the analysis is in this thread somewhere already, it's common knowledge as far as the Genome goes... See in the modern world we have 'Seed makers'. Folks who do real breeding work such as punnets & mathematics, There's pioneers who hunt genetics & rare strains and there's folks who just 'cross plants selected by others' and hope for the best using methods they know little about let alone could explain in any detail.

I'm having a hard time trying not to open a can of whoop ass here..

Basically that kind of DNA work isn't done cheap. It's not for hack breeders to use as refrenceing material it's done to further the understanding of heterosis and interactions between genes.. PK has no genes relevent to any known world Cannabis hence it's Hindu Kush ancestory..

We know this from mapping the genome to prevent Transgenic strains and GMO Monsanto cannabis

Dave I think you need to change your location to : In Vitro it seems more appropriate :biggrin:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good call. I've changed to something which I feel is a little more appropriate to our topic.

It's funny, I can count 15 so called breeders working with the same clones in multiple ways however none of them has access to a lab or better yet none of them has a unique line to work with.. They're all working with throwaways & average stock.. This is the cannabis world we live in.. None of them are inclined to tell you that their lines have sever inbreeding depression and a lack of internal diversity that is harmfull with the reoccurrence of similar genes or unwanted ones. Also these strains cannot be used in the open market therefore these guys are a step behind and will always be 'Underground' due to the illegality and provenance of their so called work..

I call these guys Tossers.. Short for poller tosser..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
right dave, you think bubba is inbred from that cross, that's more plausible.

when i say 'cheese terpene' i mean the ones that cause the smell that we find in the UK cheese cut.

lets keep the lid on that whoop ass for the moment, it has a long sell by date :D
nice to chat,
VG

R

Rox

So LLP's PK is the LVPK, I'm happy with that, glad I didn't decide to ditch her.

I've been offered a cut of seedisms exodus which is meant to be an indica skunk type, anyone tried this?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good call. I've changed to something which I feel is a little more appropriate to our topic.

It's funny, I can count 15 so called breeders working with the same clones in multiple ways however none of them has access to a lab or better yet none of them has a unique line to work with.. They're all working with throwaways & average stock.. This is the cannabis world we live in.. None of them are inclined to tell you that their lines have sever inbreeding depression and a lack of internal diversity that is harmfull with the reoccurrence of similar genes or unwanted ones. Also these strains cannot be used in the open market therefore these guys are a step behind and will always be 'Underground' due to the illegality and provenance of their so called work..

I call these guys Tossers.. Short for poller tosser..

i missed this, if it was aimed at me Dave then its seems a bit off - when i was just disagreeing with you on the relationship between two cuts.
I get lots of pleasure out of my little hobby breeding projects and am doing ok out of them thanks very much. Your approval is not a requirement, but the attack is disappointing - from someone i regarded as a friend.
lesson learned i guess...
VG

Status
Not open for further replies.