What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

ufc 2010

N

NBE One !

One trick ponies just can’t hang with the elite. Wether it’s Maia and his ground game or Ngannou and his crazy power, time and time again the sport has shown that it’s evolved too far for a one trick pony. I had Miocic winning and heavyweights especially can end abruptly but I just felt there was too many tools in Miocic’s bag. I think Miocic had a great plan going in, getting Ngannou to strike and miss but not try to exchange with him. Ngannou was breathing hard-mouth opened in the first half of the round! It was all downhill from there. Ngannou got to land a nice uppercut on stipe that gave him a nice mouse on Stipe’s left eye, on the fourth round(I think) he landed a sloppy punch which still dazed Stipe. The gameplan was good for the chanp and he had the discipline to execute it flawlessly. I think (sea level)Cain in his prime would have put Ngannou away in the second round.

Yup ,he looked Exhausted first time with FV

Got Ufc 220 playing now " Streaming" from a download - jsS Saying Out loud

(Joe Rogan = Pollution Sometimes ). Have to mute him ! ... :D

Last edited:

Chappi

Bobby Knuckles is in serious condition following a poorly treated staph infection in his stomach, it’s apparently eating at his intestines or something. Hope he recovers well, poor guy.

Bwanabud

Bobby Knuckles is in serious condition following a poorly treated staph infection in his stomach, it’s apparently eating at his intestines or something. Hope he recovers well, poor guy.

MRSA is very bad shiit, and difficult to stomp out...best wishes to Robert and a fast recovery. If your medical team can't solve the problem, get on a plane and head for the US...our Doc's can kill that nasty shiit.

This stuff is no joke, you can die from this.

iTarzan

Veteran
MRSA is very bad shiit, and difficult to stomp out...best wishes to Robert and a fast recovery. If your medical team can't solve the problem, get on a plane and head for the US...our Doc's can kill that nasty shiit.

This stuff is no joke, you can die from this.

It is bad enough when people have their stomach or intestines perforate and GI tract germs get in there at anytime. To have them be MRSA or some other superbug like flesh eating bacteria (strepto). I hope his doctors and Bobby can fight this thing off and get him healthy.

That news is terrible. I am hoping for the best for him.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
He wanted to wear him down. That was the game plan. If you read the round by round reports they mention the ref tells the fighters to pick up the action and work. The reporters write that Miocic obliges and once again punches away at Ngannou.

Elmer you can disagree but the facts favor my description. Especially when you say, "I thought the ref was very generous with position . Gotta work ! Is usually the call for non action .Never heard it yesterday" So I bolded where he said it every round for you. I also marked all the "non action moments where you must not have seen all the times Stipe beat the crap out of Ngannou. I also highlighted the reasons Stipe was leaning on him. He had him exhausted and wearing him down was going to make it easier to pummel him.

Stipe did what he had to do alright. He beat the crap out of the new UFC monster that nobody else seemed to be able to do.

Did Stipe win any fans. Hell yes.

Sherdog

Round 2

Miocic comes out for round two sporting some significant swelling underneath his left eye. Nonetheless, it's the champion doing the better work in the standup department as the heavyweights go toe-to-toe in the center of the cage. Ngannou, meanwhile, has slowed down significantly, his punches pulling up well short as the fresher Miocic dips out of the way. Midway through round two, Ngannou looks absolutely exhausted, inching toward Miocic with his hands held low. Miocic ducks into an uppercut and then drives forward for a takedown that plants Ngannou on his knees at the base of the fence. Miocic leans his weight on the kneeling challenger, peppering with short left hands. When Miocic stops throwing strikes, referee Dean calls for action. Ngannou looks trapped with nowhere to go, stuck kneeling against the fence while Miocic abuses him with left hands and knees to the body. Miocic tries to apply a rear-naked choke but can't get it sunk before the horn.

Round 3

Miocic waits about 25 seconds before shooting on Ngannou's legs and driving the Frenchman backward to the fence. Ngannou resists the takedown at first, but Miocic's second effort eventually yields the takedown. The heavyweights are back in the same position from round one, with Ngannou kneeling at the base of the wall, albeit with his left side to the fence this time instead of his right. Ngannou powers back to his feet two minutes into the round, and Miocic makes sure that he remains pinned against the fence. Ngannou finally shoves him away, and the big men meet back in the center at the halfway point of the round and the fight. Suddenly, Ngannou uncorks a heavy right hook that rocks Miocic's head and forces the champion to circle away. Miocic reverses directions and changes levels, then drives Ngannou to the ground, immediately neutralizing any advantage the challenger just gained. Miocic postures up in Ngannou's half guard and drops heavy right hands on his face. Ngannou looks on the verge of being stopped when he tangles up Miocic's arms and slows the assault. Referee Dean calls for work in the final 20 seconds, and Miocic obliges with a couple late punches and grinding elbows.

Round 4

Ngannou plods forward, backing up Miocic to the fence -- but just as his back nears the wall, the champion explodes forward and plows Ngannou to the ground with yet another double-leg takedown. Ngannou holds Miocic in half guard, then grabs for a heel hook, prompting Miocic to stand up and extract his leg. Ngannou is so tired that he has no chance of standing up before Miocic dives back to the ground, and the champion actually improves on his previous position by coming down to side control. Ngannou gets to his knees and leans against the fence, but Miocic isn't letting him go anywhere, laying all of his weight on top of the exhausted challenger. Miocic holds Ngannou in a front headlock as referee Dean claps his hands, calling for more action. The champ hears the ref and turns up the volume on his left hands, socking Ngannou in the side of the head. Ngannou slumps forward briefly but comes back up to avoid a stoppage. With 65 seconds left in the fourth round, Ngannou looks absolutely finished, kneeling against the fence with his head down as Miocic tees off with punches and elbows. Miocic lands about a dozen right hands to the body in the last 10 seconds, and Ngannou never looks close to getting up.

Round 5

Miocic gets double underhooks and traps Ngannou against a cage post. There's nothing happening in the clinch, causing referee Dean to call for work after a few seconds of leaning on the fence. Miocic drops levels for a shot and gets caught in a front headlock, with Ngannou looking to cinch up a guillotine. The choke never appears to put Miocic in danger, and he soon pulls his head free to resume shooting. Ngannou stands him up, and finally referee Dean breaks up the clinch. The big men meet back in the middle with just over two minutes on the clock. Ngannou is still swinging big right hands, and Miocic wants nothing to do with them at this late stage, opting to stay on the outside as the last 90 seconds tick down. Ngannou tries to close the distance, but each time he gets near, Miocic darts away. Ngannou leaps at Miocic with a flying knee, but the Ohioan catches it and shoves Ngannou against the wall for the final 20 seconds. Stipe Miocic raises his arm even before the horn has sounded, knowing that the scorecards are academic and he has surely retained his UFC heavyweight belt.

G `day iT

I`ve watched enough MMA to be able to see with my own eyes .
I don`t need a precis from Sherdog ...

Did you actually watch the fight ?

Effective , yes , followed the game plan , yes . Did fans enjoy it ; No .
Holding Nganou down and tapping on his ribs is not my definition of being active .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

N

NBE One !

^ Not heard of Bobby knuckles before Then I find out via Google its Robert Whittaker ! Geez, hope he pulls through ok

^uguys! (-: . Stipe played Clever by taking him to the Canvas -often. His face was quite Mashed after rnd 1.
Eb you believed initially Stipe would "Give him a boxing lesson"? Believed he'd win in some Striking fashion anyhow. Kudos, he did win.

Last edited:

iTarzan

Veteran
G `day iT

I`ve watched enough MMA to be able to see with my own eyes .
I don`t need a precis from Sherdog ...

Did you actually watch the fight ?

Effective , yes , followed the game plan , yes . Did fans enjoy it ; No .
Holding Nganou down and tapping on his ribs is not my definition of being active .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Yes I watched the fight. That seemed like an attempt at belittling to me or brushing me off in an annoying way.

I want to have a nice discussion with you about the fight but you always make conversations difficult. Asking did I watch the fight is just trying to water down my opinion. I guess that is your backup plan B because Plan A was a failure.

In that initial reply by you it was I disagree again. By itself totally fine. However it was followed up by ... "I thought the ref was very generous with position . Gotta work ! Is usually the call for non action .Never heard it yesterday." You blew me off and backed it up with a statement that made me the misinformed/liar and you the expert.
That ploy failed because I showed you the round by round review.
The main thing I dispelled was they were warned every round to pick up the action. You wrote "Never heard it yesterday" as an exclamation point to your what you thought was a winning position.

You didn't hear what was said during the fight. Yet you wrote it real cocky too, "Never heard it". You were wrong. And now you don't even address it. You changed to plan B.

You have been watching mma for enough years to see with your own eyes? I doubt your eyes because your ears evidently don't work. If you didn't hear the ref warn them in every round why would you be right about what you saw? I say wrong about what you heard and wrong about what you saw. A heavyweight like Ngannon doesn't almost get knocked out twice and the fight almost stopped twice because they were getting tapped on.

Do you look for things to disagree with in my posts? Do you have to be so prickly?

Go watch the fight again. I am going to. Then come back and be nice when we forum chat. Jeez!

Chappi

It’s facinating how this form of communication is so damn inadequate. IDK man but I bet if you guys were actually speaking in real time face to face this would get squashed immediately. Lets just accept that in this format shit sometimes comes off the wrong way. Lets keep talking UFC, no need to get all worked up over nothing.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
GSP had to vacate the middleweight belt because of colitis, and now whittaker is suffering a staph infection in his stomach. Do they share the same doctor?!?

Im a fan of stipe, i like the fact that he has a regular job (part time) and that he's actually defended the belt a few times in a row (last 10 years it's been a revolving door at heavyweight champ). It was somewhat surprising to me that he relied on his wrestling against francis, because he was such a knockout artist his last few fights (maybe his whole career, really). His ability to generate so much power in a short, quick counterpunch was impressive, reminded me of bruce lee's one inch punch.
But tarzan was right, he came in with the right game plan against ngannou. He likely would have lost if he stood and traded punches; ngannou is bigger and more powerful, has fast hands and a longer reach. He suffered a nice shiner when he ate a sweeping hook in the 1st round.
Still, a majority of the fight was francis doubled over by the cage, with stipe pushing down on his neck and back. Stipe did enough striking (punches, hammer fists, knees) to keep the ref from standing them back up, but none of the strikes were really damaging.
Honestly, because they were heavyweights in a 5 round fight, their fatigue made the fight seem boring. Fighters who are 100lbs lighter, theyre more active even in the late rounds. We've hardly seen heavyweights go 5 rds before, even stipe, with his college wrestling background you'd figure he has good cardio, was running on fumes in the championship rounds.
Good win for him, and if ngannou can get some bjj skills and work on his cardio, he could contend for the belt again...

Bwanabud

The written word is weak when inflicting sarcasm, humor, passion,,,forums are the quintessential test of both patience and self control, lobbing "shots across the bow" will incite responses from members that invoke a history of continued turmoil.

Sport in many forms demand loyalty, that allegiance applies to individual athletes and support of fellow countryman...it's the "hook that brings you back" (Blues Traveler). We all have passion for the sport, we all want to voice our opinions, that's the beauty of forums no matter their genre.

Toss in some misunderstood references, keyboard warriors, a couple douche bags, along with the lack of civility normally given to others....and you get what ya got.

EB's a good guy, he knows and loves the sport, he supports his country and MMA...approach him with a verbal closed fist, and expect a fight to ensue.

:tiphat:

N

NBE One !

Were all Gods from God bro were kinda equall
Darn wish I could write better , that is happening though ..Slowely ,sure is :) .
Alls Gonna be so Cool,we shouldn't argue with each other peace pipe

Keyboard warriors :D:D:D
You beautiful people

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
^ Not heard of Bobby knuckles before Then I find out via Google its Robert Whittaker ! Geez, hope he pulls through ok

^uguys! (-: . Stipe played Clever by taking him to the Canvas -often. His face was quite Mashed after rnd 1.
Eb you believed initially Stipe would "Give him a boxing lesson"? Believed he'd win in some Striking fashion anyhow. Kudos, he did win.

G `day Bird

I thought he would hit him with a right cross in the 3rd or 4 th round .
But nah ... He played it safe . Nganou was ripe for a KO . Stipe played very conservatively .

Nganou in front of Hunt in that state is goin to sleep .

Kudos to stipe . Picked up a fat cheque . Set a record for title defenses . If he fights like that again he`s destined to be the HW John Fitch . Awesome record but no body wants to pay money to watch .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Veteran
The written word is weak when inflicting sarcasm, humor, passion,,,forums are the quintessential test of both patience and self control, lobbing "shots across the bow" will incite responses from members that invoke a history of continued turmoil.

Sport in many forms demand loyalty, that allegiance applies to individual athletes and support of fellow countryman...it's the "hook that brings you back" (Blues Traveler). We all have passion for the sport, we all want to voice our opinions, that's the beauty of forums no matter their genre.

Toss in some misunderstood references, keyboard warriors, a couple douche bags, along with the lack of civility normally given to others....and you get what ya got.

EB's a good guy, he knows and loves the sport, he supports his country and MMA...approach him with a verbal closed fist, and expect a fight to ensue.

:tiphat:

G `day Folks

I said I disagreed is all.
I asked about the viewing because I know blow by blow descriptions from MMA blogs are crap ! I used to read them once upon .

No I won`t be watching that fight again unless I`m suffering from insomnia and need to be put to sleep .

If we all agreed all the time how would we gain insight into how each other thinks . Or see anything from a different point of view ?

Play hard ,respect your opponents , shake hands when its over .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Chappi

Miocic vs Cormier confirmed for UFC 226!!
Also going to be the head coaches for TUF!!

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!

N

NBE One !

^ Wow !!!! (-:;

must spread some rep before giving too Chappi again .

[ rolleyes. (-; ]

Bwanabud

Miocic vs Cormier confirmed for UFC 226!!
Also going to be the head coaches for TUF!!

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like Daniel is going after the HW belt, before Cain steps back in the ring....then what, vacate the title Daniel ?

Makes no sense to me

jesbuds

Cormier/Stipe while 'different weight classes' are actually 2 guys that are pretty much the same. Stipe is like 245, Cormier has to pray to God to hit 206 and I've read on fight nights he is ~230+ (which is after a weight cut) so he might actually weigh more than Stipe without cutting. Should be interesting.

Cormier has always been interesting to me because to me he isn't 'great' he's just very good and makes few mistakes. That is his key, like he knows how to play the game and while he is definitely athletically gifted, I don't think he has the same gifts as some others, he just uses his head a lot. He doesn't leave a ton of openings for clean shots. Like in the cage Jon Jones is gifted and smart at the fight game, in him I see a great but his other faults have been his downfall. Not sure if I explained that well, not trying to downplay Cormier's talent or anything.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Agreed. Cain would be the most talented imo. Even he is not that talented. Does not hit super hard, not incredibly fast. Super cardio.

Bwanabud

I guess if Cormier wants a shot at a second title + the extra cash, and not have to face Cain in the future...now is the time to do it. I think it will be a very close and evenly matched fight, and Daniel will wear Stipe out....riding his back like Stipe did to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nganou[/FONT]