What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two plants per mound. Experiences?

ramse

I would like to hear your opinion on growing two plants in the same mound.

I would like to try this mainly in order to obtain double the phenotypes, with the further advantage of being able to obtain a possible staggered harvest.

I have 4 mounds (800 - 1200 liters / 200 - 320 gallons ) to dedicate to this project. The strain is Royal Kush X from Emerald Mountain Legacy. I have never grown this cultivar, it should be decidedly uniform with variations in odors and harvest date, with some early phenotypes, September 20th, and others arriving towards the middle of October.

I have three other mounds, in which I will run haze hybrids (Waco Widow x Haze AC and La Nina MM x Widow) but in this case I plan on going with one mound plant.

I would like to hear your experiences in this regard, pros and cons etc.

Three Berries

My limited experience other than MJ outside.. But two plants side by side will not produce as one fully exposed. If maximum yield is the goal the not the thing to do. Other nefarious reasons my have success. :)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It depends on the strain! If the plant is a large plant that's above head high with big leaves, then only one plant per mound. If they are waist-high then two per mound. Sativa's can be planted closer together. I got away with planting about 6 or 7 plants in 6x6 plots.

Attachments

• photo2101319.jpg
    photo2101319.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 48

Three Berries

I was reading on here somewhere the other day to not let the plant leaves touch another plant or they start fighting each other. I would assume if there is any truth to that then letting the roots intermingle is the same.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In my tent the plant leaves touch each other. Of course they jostle for the available light. Plants like to talk with each other via their roots I think. In my big tent, they share the water and communicate that way.

ramse

That cannabis has no problem growing close to its peers, intertwining roots etc... is beyond doubt.

I have already grown nearby plants in the open ground... but in a "small" mound of 1000/1500 liters, in some respects it is different...

with regard to the leaves touching... well honestly I have never heard this thing :nono:then that even plants have "senses" is true.
here... More than anything, I was looking for some feedback that instructed me on some problem / disadvantage, which I may not have thought of.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
In my experience, two in a pot, is two bad plants. One beats two, every time. I have tried many times when things have been a bit slow, thinking I could get ahead by using 2 or 3 per pot. The answer is to quickly choose the one and cull the other/rest. This has been mirrored outdoors, though not so comprehensively proven. However, look at the beanstalks produced when plants are packed in over acres. Fine for rope, but it's 2 dimensional. Oddly in pots it's not a race for the sky, but more of a 'you go first' gentlemans agreement. Which flies in the face of evolution theories. I only grow girls though, and that does make some sense. It's best the lads get ahead, for the largest breeding program.

These mounds though. They are not pots. They are small hills. I don't know enough. Like... is that a cubic meter each?

ramse

These mounds though. They are not pots. They are small hills. I don't know enough. Like... is that a cubic meter each?

take into account that we are talking about a cylinder with a diameter of 2.5 meters (8.20 ft) • 30 cm (1 ft) in height. Plus another 20/30 cm (~1 ft) of native soil with a good percentage of organic substance, under this layer there are sedimentary rocks.

others are smaller, starting from a diameter of 1.80 - 2 meters

Last edited:

goingrey

This might be self-evident. But if the plants have very different feed requirements, keeping both happy can be a challenge.

goingrey

Oh yeah. As experiences were asked for...

Last year I had not two but three plants in the same hole. And I was very happy that I did because two of them died as a result of an unexpected heatwave at an inconvenient time. But looking back on it now, could it be that it was the competition for limited water that killed the two? Even if it was not a "competition" between the plants, three holes/mounds can certainly hold three times the moisture.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I was reading on here somewhere the other day to not let the plant leaves touch another plant or they start fighting each other. I would assume if there is any truth to that then letting the roots intermingle is the same.

The main reason for not letting your plants touch is because plants compete for Sunlight. Upper leaves shade the lower leaves. But they will still grow like crazy close together in good soil and plenty of water. .😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here are photos of plots with more than one plant and a single plant. Either way, if you give the plants enough water and good soil you will get plenty of weed..😎

Attachments

• photo2105812.jpg
    photo2105812.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2105813.jpg
    photo2105813.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2105814.jpg
    photo2105814.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2105815.jpg
    photo2105815.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 47

hamstring

Veteran
Back before fem seeds many of us planted two plants per hole to maximize our yield. Its a waste of time , energy and security to have a hole with no plant in it. Sometimes you end up with two females in a single hole. I think you get close to the same yield with a single plant as two in the same size hole.

When fems seeds came along it was a game changer.

Goodherb

Back before fem seeds many of us planted two plants per hole to maximize our yield. Its a waste of time , energy and security to have a hole with no plant in it. Sometimes you end up with two females in a single hole. I think you get close to the same yield with a single plant as two in the same size hole.

When fems seeds came along it was a game changer.

Hamstring an others, man we plants 4 to 5 , plants in a hole/mount.

hamstring

Veteran
Goodherb

I hear you brother. Is that 4 plants or 4 seeds per hole?

I would walk into the bush with a baggie full of seeds and a cold frame. I always put at least two seeds per cup. Once they popped I would make sure each cup has at least two plants by moving seedlings around. That way I always had two plants per hole. Males show pretty early so you dont loose a ton of yield when you cull them.

Goodherb

hamstring, we makes mounts/beds , sprinkle manure on it , spread the seeds evenly ,then lightly cover the seeds with dirt, then place a sheet /big piece of cloth or plastic an tightly secure the edges of the material, so no critters, rodents , can't be able go underneath it.

When the seeds burst , four days remove the material an harden them off .

​​​​​​On average ,it's four(seedlings ) in a mount/hole.

AS one's know (first) males shows themselves , then him/hers (later in flowering) are eliminated. At the final quarter of flowering , one's usually ends up with a single tree in a hole/mount.
IMG_20210511_162329366.jpg
IMG_20210511_162329366.jpg

Attachments

• photo2066414.jpg
    photo2066414.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 41

Goodherb

[No message]

Attachments

• photo2065531.jpg
    photo2065531.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 40
  • photo2065532.jpg
    photo2065532.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 40
  • photo2065538.jpg
    photo2065538.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 49
  • photo2067145.jpg
    photo2067145.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 39

hamstring

Veteran
Goodherb

OMG!! brother what are you guys growing, CBD???

So if I understand the photos you are mass seeding in plots under the tarp? It must be warmer conditions vs spring time? Then you transplant the seedings four to a hole and all on site. So very impressive and guerrilla style/tactics. I like your style no matter what your are growing there.

Latest posts

Latest posts