What's new

Two heads 2011

two heads

Veteran
We are now on a twice a week watering schedule, though there has been more rain than in July. Monday nights we fill our 10 liter gas cans and give each pail a full can. Then we fill them again and leave them for a second watering later in the week. We do this at night because we have to leave the shelter of the cedars and go to the nearby river to collect water. Last Monday, the moon was beautiful and the air was a fragrant mix of the heavy skunky smell of the just flowering Sugar Cane Train (these will be stinky when they really start to flower) and the Baby's Breath slightly sweet Lik-M-Aid aroma.

Anyway, then we went out last Thursday during the day for their second watering of the week. We left the cans empty and will refill tonight or tomorrow night. Thursday was bright and sunny and the plants stick out a lot more than they did when the cedars were in shade the week before:

picture.php

picture.php

The Bubba Kush clones are still filling out:

picture.php

Here's pail #1:

picture.php

Pail #2:

picture.php

Pail #3, the Sugar Cane Train from Maui:

picture.php

Pail #4, too tall to fit in this pic:

picture.php

And finally, everyone's favourite, magenta buds!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Let me know if these weekly pics of the cedar site plants are getting too repetitive. They really look much the same, just a bit bigger and a bit frostier each week. I will make one visit to the swamp this month and I expect then we'll see some real progress given I haven't been there since July 27.

KanadianKronik

the weekly update pics are nowhere near repetitive! i love them, very well documented! everything is looking good bud. cant wait to see the swamp update.
-kk

two heads

Veteran
Buds, buds, buds!

Buds, buds, buds!

The plants in the cedars looked lovely Thursday. I'll post some shots of the plants later but for now, everyone's favourite - August bud shots!

The magenta bud I shoot each week is getting plumper and frostier:

picture.php

picture.php

Though most buds started pink, many have faded to part pink, part white:

picture.php

And a few are pretty much all white hair, but frosty nonetheless:

picture.php

picture.php

The original Baby's Breath clone was usually harvested around mid-September. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these buds were ready a week earlier than that.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
The original Baby's Breath clone was usually harvested around mid-September. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these buds were ready a week earlier than that.

They are racing to the harvest for sure!

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Great photography two heads. Plants are huge for being just in those pails, damn. keep the pics comin!

two heads

Veteran
The cedar site

The cedar site

Rob547: they are bigger than we've ever had at this site, probably because of the great weather and the fact that we brought in all new Pro-Mix and amendments this year.When I push a hand into the soil to check for moisture they are completely rootbound. They are so tall it is hard to get a photo of them. So many of my pics end up being just buds against a blue sky as I shoot from well under their height, I'm going to start a thread called "Reach for the Top(s)". Like so:

picture.php

But for now a quick update on the cedar site plants from last Thursday. Pails 1 & 2:

picture.php

Pail 1 alone:

picture.php

Pail 2:

picture.php

Pail 3, the Sugar Cane Train, flowering but still a ways from forming buds:

picture.php

Pail 4, with the bright magenta bud and a towering sativa pheno:

picture.php

Even the Bubba Kush clones are getting taller:

picture.php

I'll be going to the swamp for the first time in a month this week. Can't wait!

two heads

Veteran
I love a swamp garden!

I love a swamp garden!

It's four weeks since I went to the swamp. All six totes looked good then so I expected to see some nice plants today but when I made it through the crotch deep water to our beautiful swamp garden, I was a bit dumbfounded for a while. I don't think I've ever seen such huge plants at one of our swamp sites. I just kept taking pictures and gently fondling the beautiful buds! Wow. Anyway, here are my best attempts at capturing all six totes in one or two pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

Though the swamp was surprisingly deep, our totes are sitting in just the right amount of the compost tea that is swamp water:

picture.php

I found a lot of the deep purple pink pistils of the original Baby's Breath here too. By this point in flowering, it affects the look of the whole plant:

picture.php

picture.php

All the plants are well into flowering except one clone that will go into October for sure. But what a beautiful Christmas tree!

picture.php

picture.php

It's hard to imagine what another 3 or 4 weeks will do for the rest of them though. We're keeping our fingers crossed for a bumper crop!

Bud shots next...

two heads

Veteran
Swamp buds

Swamp buds

Bud shots from the swamp garden visit tonight:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's amazing how well this swamp garden does with no attention at all for a month. So secure and self-sustaining. That's why I love the swamp. Tonight was a double-header though. Later, we visited the cedars - a night run to the river to water the thirsty giants. Again, they looked amazing against the night sky.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey TH,

Wao... So nice and pretty! :jump: If they smoke as good as they look, they'll be the bomb! :canabis:

Are you planning to make seeds with the different phenos, or would it just be an open polination?

Happy growing! :wave:

B

two heads

Veteran
Hi Browser. Seed production this year will be interesting. No males were allowed to pop in the swamp so all our seed will come from the cedar site. There we allowed an early Baby's Breath male to live just long enough to pollinate the earliest female flowers, hoping to get just a few seeds buried deep within those buds. These will be Baby's Breath IBL, each pheno distinguished based on the mother plant. We'll grow out only the seeds from our favourite phenos next year. Mainly that's a pink pheno, a white pheno and a sweet smelling sativa pheno (less common).

At this time we have kept a single branch of a male Sugar Cane Train, the Hawaiian strain from House of Love. It still hasn't popped. Since we visit at least once a week, we'll keep an eye on it. The idea here would be to collect pollen by bagging it just before it pops and, after it pops in the bag, put that bag over a branch of SCT (to produce more SCT seed) and a branch of our pink pheno (to produce a cross of SCT male x BB pink female). Those buds will be heavily seeded and segregated from the sparse seeding from the early Baby's Breath male.

Phew, I'm glad I didn't try to explain that while high!

two heads

Veteran
I think it was ProMix BX, from Homegrown Hydroponics. That's where we get Osmocote and Aquasorb as well.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey 2H,

Thanks for the detailled explanation. When I read it, I did remember you mentioning the early pollination before.

Phew, I'm glad I didn't try to explain that while high!

And Sir, I am glad that I didn't have to read that while high :) There's a higher chance I remember.

Very nice selection there, the pistils make me think of anemone.

Do I recall correctly that Esbe grew it at his lat some years back, any reports of how it did on his climate?

Cheers :tiphat:

B

two heads

Veteran
Funny, I just had an online chat with him and he mentioned he still has some Baby's Breath hybrids so I suppose they have done fine. Despite some variation in phenotype, all our Baby's Breath has been consistently early this year, probably because we pollinate only with our earliest male.

two heads

Veteran
The cedar site, from Thursday the 25th.

Pail #1, we took a tiny sample bud from here:

picture.php

Pail #2, the central plant is so tall:

picture.php

Pail 3, Sugar Cane Train, the male stem just popped so I rubbed it up against one bud of that magenta plant before disposing of it. The 5 females have yet to really kick in:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pail #4, the tall plant on the right is 9-10 feet (in it's pail), like the big one in #2. Gotta call them the Big Baby pheno!

picture.php

Here's that magenta bud I shoot each trip. The plant we pollinated with the Sugar Cane Train - hoping for a killer cross there:

picture.php

And here's another nice pink bud from Pail #1, like the one we cut to sample:

picture.php

Obviously, we're more than happy with this site, even though it has required a lot of watering, but after visiting the swamp I'm convinced there's no substitute for swamp tea!

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
B, E, A, Utiful my friend...

If we were all painters, you would Michelangelo and this magenta plant is your chapel ceiling.

Cheers,
Budelight

two heads

Veteran
Wow, very poetic budelight. All we can do is reveal the beauty that is already there. I wish we could show the whole world our chapel ceilings.

GAME

Bravo Bravo. Lovely early flowering genetics bro. Makes me wish I had planted some strains that might finish in early September. Again, bravo.