What's new

Turnkey WFE Still Units

Daub Marley

Designing my own fully jacketed system and having a local scientific glass bowing company make it to avoid the long lead times I've received from the listed companies while asking for prices.

Anyone know of a wiper blade/motor source? Will pope/CTS/etc sell me just the wiper blade setup?
They'd have to right? Parts break, so they must be willing to offer replacements, but is is it going to fit perfectly with the piece that you had custom made?

icmagaccount

They'd have to right? Parts break, so they must be willing to offer replacements, but is is it going to fit perfectly with the piece that you had custom made?

The majority of the companies(the only ones to have responded so far) have said they cannot sell me the wiper blades or make custom lenghts for the blades like I would need. We looked into having a local machine shop make us a cage for ptfe blades we could have made to specs however we have opted to avoid the wiping system completely as our scientific glass blower thinks he can create a thin film without moving parts. Excited to see it all come together.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks OG!

Daub, are people using stirrers or anything like that in their feed flask? Too much gunk?

Pharmer Joe is using a CAT Scientific drive motor to turn a stir paddle in the heated feed flask of his molecular still.

CAT Scientific's turbojet drone engine division's proto shop also built his propriety thin film creating assembly. Besides military drone engines, they are the folks who make the strap on twin turbojet delta wings, for jumping out of airplanes and flying like jetman.

I can attest that they do extremely nice work and are a pleasure to work with. They can also follow up in production quantities.

I'm still working on borrowing a "ride" from them to try out.........

Rickys bong

Veteran
... we have opted to avoid the wiping system completely as our scientific glass blower thinks he can create a thin film without moving parts. Excited to see it all come together.

He's probably thinking of a falling film type of still. This was one of the first developments for molecular stills using gravity to pull the film down a heated surface.
It will work but you have no control over the residence time and the film thickness will be relatively thick. The wipers in a wiped film unit do several things. In addition to spreading the film as thin as possible they introduce a lot of turbulence to the film so a fresh layer of distilland gets pushed to the surface constantly. Many stills also have a grooved wiper so the wipers push the film down. Residence time is controlled this way.

Another issue with falling film is the distribution of the film at the top and designing the surface so it doesn't gather or form rivulets.

RB

icmagaccount

He's probably thinking of a falling film type of still. This was one of the first developments for molecular stills using gravity to pull the film down a heated surface.
It will work but you have no control over the residence time and the film thickness will be relatively thick. The wipers in a wiped film unit do several things. In addition to spreading the film as thin as possible they introduce a lot of turbulence to the film so a fresh layer of distilland gets pushed to the surface constantly. Many stills also have a grooved wiper so the wipers push the film down. Residence time is controlled this way.

Another issue with falling film is the distribution of the film at the top and designing the surface so it doesn't gather or form rivulets.

RB

I'm going to wait to say any more but we think we solved the thin film problem as well as controlling the residence time however this is all theory for now. I was thinking we would have issues with too short of residence time at the temps we are reaching, I was under the impression the wiper blades slowed the flow downward?

PeopleWish

We love our 2" still :) - we can squeeze 98% of cannabinoids our of our residue - it just takes a few passes -

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gonna have to dig out some of my RC jet parts and take a look. LOL

No turbo jet parts involved, just the high quality prototype shop that also builds turbojet engines.

One thang ah did larn in the olden days before professional retirement, was that iff'n ah wanted quality parts, and was not in a position to gamble on project schedule, I was more successful commissioning the folks who routinely make precision parts to extreme standards.

They of course are not a hobby shop, or interested on one offs, and are geared to make pre production prototypes in support of their manufacturing capabilities.

Daub Marley

No turbo jet parts involved, just the high quality prototype shop that also builds turbojet engines.

One thang ah did larn in the olden days before professional retirement, was that iff'n ah wanted quality parts, and was not in a position to gamble on project schedule, I was more successful commissioning the folks who routinely make precision parts to extreme standards.

They of course are not a hobby shop, or interested on one offs, and are geared to make pre production prototypes in support of their manufacturing capabilities.
Yeah my brother worked in a machine shop and they used to machine parts for the aviation industry and they eventually refused to accept their orders because (even though they paid great) they would not accept 75% of the order due to variances that are slightly out of their tolerances. Like half a human hair off. The aviation industry in general doesn't mess around, and they have some of the highest quality parts, best mechanics, and organization money can buy.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah my brother worked in a machine shop and they used to machine parts for the aviation industry and they eventually refused to accept their orders because (even though they paid great) they would not accept 75% of the order due to variances that are slightly out of their tolerances. Like half a human hair off. The aviation industry in general doesn't mess around, and they have some of the highest quality parts, best mechanics, and organization money can buy.

The aerospace industry was one of the leaders in geometric tolerancing, ISO 9000 and Six Sigma quality, because the more components you have, the greater the odds something can go wrong.

I started in the industry as a visual dimensional inspector, while going to school nights to become an engineer on their nickle. I eventually worked as a VD (hee, hee), fluorescent penetrant, magnetic particle, and radiographic technician, before becoming an engineer, so know a bunch of ways and reasons to reject parts.

Part of the cost of a aerospace part, is how many ways and times its inspected by certified personnel, plus all the record keeping. The sort of thing you do when the cost of one single failure, is extreme.

Of course you can't inspect quality into a part, so the rest of the cost is making a quality part in the first place, thus ISO 9000, and Six Sigma.

Daub Marley

Yes sir. Agreed on all accounts!
I started in the industry as a visual dimensional inspector, while going to school nights to become an engineer on their nickle. I eventually worked as a VD (hee, hee), fluorescent penetrant, magnetic particle, and radiographic technician, before becoming an engineer, so know a bunch of ways and reasons to reject parts.
This actually seems like a pretty interesting job. I bet the manufacturers hated you. :)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes sir. Agreed on all accounts!
This actually seems like a pretty interesting job. I bet the manufacturers hated you. :)

I was an interesting job and you can sometimes tell more by a persons detractors, than from their friends.

I like to think that I pissed off all the right people and that some airplanes didn't crash because I rejected defective parts.

Foremen that couldn't manage their resources to produce consistently quality parts, didn't last very long, so I didn't really start racking up enemies until I started managing departments, and building new facilities.