What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trim Time Tricks with Prof Rize

Matt Rize

I have 12 hours before its back to the scissors, so I wanted to tell you guys what it is like here (norcal) and how we do it.

Trimming is a serious industry here, we should have a union. But we don't, and work "conditions" can be very different . Out in the rural areas it gets kinda ridiculous. Some places people walk up and down the streets with plants and trimming is a community project. Some places people hide everything and close the blinds and act all sketchy. Some people trim using natural light, some trim in the "zone" under HIDs and the rest.

I trim with the blinds open and the backdoor open, and I live in the heart of downtown in a school zone. But nothing I do is illegal (no more solvent extracts), so its all gravy. My neighbors are my friends and we watch out for each other, BIG TIME. They ran off the bike cops for me... had to seal the room after DJ's Blueberry proved too powerful. My neighbor sits on his back deck and watches me bring mature plants into the house from the zone during the school day... and we laugh.

Pay for trimming varies greatly. By the hour from $15 to $30/hour. And by the pound usually around $250, but as low as $180 for jerks. I won't work for more or less than $20/hour, fair IMO as a grower/trimmer. I don't work for weight because I take it as an insult and make sure to do 2 pounds in a 9-5 day, which is brutal on me. I won't work in cramped or stupid conditions either, and have been known to move the whole trim to my house.

Up north you have to camp out and work as much as you can. Down here people are civilized and trimmers go home after work. Some like to work at night, but not-sketchy people work normal hours (9-5+).

I am lucky enough to have joined a really hard working crew, we joined forces more correctly. We pretty much go from spot to spot and bang out harvests. If we have to, we can each do 2 pounds a work day, and we trim so effing tight that our outdoor work is sold as indoor. Our first time at locations they have friends there, then we never see the friends again and it is just us. My motto is "everyone want to get paid, only a few want to work for it."

Did I neglect to mention that I work with mostly sexy women between 21 and 44 years old? One is an effing burlesquer and nude art model. It certainly doesn't hurt that most growers are dudes. None of us smoke tobacco, and one guy dips so that doesn't slow him down. Sometimes we chew raw coca leaves when we do long days. Mate is normal in the afternoon, and in the morning it is fresh juices and kombucha. Lots of microbrew too, lol.

We all show up with everything we will need for the day other than lunch, which is provided by the employer, and we are organic non-GMO food people. The girls have trim outfits, even some dudes wear coveralls. I don't worry about it, I love the stink of Cannabis on me.

Supplies for trimming may include:
micro scissors,
razor blades,
pipe/herbs (not everyone has ganj... or enough for me )
reading glasses (to protect eyes from flying trichomes),
scissor sharpener,
finger glue,
beers (that's how we roll),
some herb infused water,
chocolate (it is mostly women)
drinks,
snacks,
cell phone in a ziploc (still works and wont get sticky)
computer elbow wrest,
home-made lavender oil solution for cleaning hands/scissor,
apron,
chalice or other water-filter glass.

MY CURRENT SCISSOR SET UP:
I have tried everything. The small ones without springs, Humbodlt Nutrients just made a fiskar knock off, Hydrofarm, Hydrofarm knock off, Fiskars, Fiskars coated, Fiskars cool colors, everything.

What I have found, and every woman that I have ever trimmed with now agrees, is that you have to personalize your scissors.

First: But a Hydrofarm scissor ($10)

Second: Buy a Fiskars replacement spring (free if you ask nice)

Third: Take out the Hydrofarm spring, replace with Fiskar's spring

Fourth: Notice the work load has been reduced significantly.

Fifth: Keep them clean and oiled. This is your sword.

You will never trim with a Fiskars again, I promise this. The Hydrofarm scissor have longer blades, and the points are slightly rounded which reduced finger shredding (trust me, happens plenty the way we roll). Fiskars sharp micro-point is still valuable for big leafing and all other garden tasks.

To further reduce the work load you can remove one to three twists from the spring. You will have to twist the cut-end smaller so that it properly seats. This personalization reduces the work load, and if you do this full time...it makes your life quality better.

Message: use a hydrofarm ($11) with a fiskars spring (<$1). Keep them clean and oiled.

ps: this really is just MY OPINION, and one of the crew keeps up with us using a spring-less ARS (always really sharp).

still confused of where the tips are....good post i suppose...everyone has thier own way of trimming everyone will soon enough find out what works for them as they will try every thing else before hand anyways.....and i like my microtip fiskars pay attention you wont cut fingers...i prefer to not oil my blades tho but however i do use my ceramic sharpening rod on them before each time i trim and alcohol them to remove burrs and excess metal/plant oils,waxes,juices ect.... my scissors are always razor sharp that makes trimming easier...i sorta have a 2 step proccess remove everything without crystals first then fine trim...never trim dry too much hassle

Matt Rize

dry trim is lame

dry trim is lame

still confused of where the tips are....good post i suppose...everyone has thier own way of trimming everyone will soon enough find out what works for them as they will try every thing else before hand anyways.....and i like my microtip fiskars pay attention you wont cut fingers...i prefer to not oil my blades tho but however i do use my ceramic sharpening rod on them before each time i trim and alcohol them to remove burrs and excess metal/plant oils,waxes,juices ect.... my scissors are always razor sharp that makes trimming easier...i sorta have a 2 step proccess remove everything without crystals first then fine trim...never trim dry too much hassle

I despise dry trim. I used to use the fiskars, but promise if you try the hydrofarm with fiskars spring, and take a twist out of the spring, you will never do fine trim with a fiskars again. The ergonomic difference is apparent after the first snip. WAY less work per snip.

I like the sharpening...ceramic is great, glad they make those cheaper now. I do that as well but do not advise beginners to just jump into that. Steel sharpening is an ancient practice and good for the soul. Speaking as a chef, dull blades are dangerous. Thanks for the contribution, you are obviously well versed in the scissor language.

Matt Rize

Fingers vs Scissors

Fingers vs Scissors

use your fingers its better and you get some charas when ur finished

I use my fingers to do the big leafing, but the level of trimming that is needed around here can only accomplished with a scissor.

Plus, we do mostly wet trim, so crumbling off the trim is not an option.

And scissor hash is very similar to charras, or finger hash.

screw using your fingers #1 because you cannot get up tight to the buds for people like me who hate leaf on their buds and #2 i get plenty of finger hash trimming with scissors not to mention the stuff that sticks to em....good stuff there..cant wait till i harvest again...

bigwity

Veteran
i understand guys im just adverse to scissors cos i smoke the tiny leaf as well i grow for my self not others if i was selling id proberly trim like you guys

Matt Rize

screw using your fingers #1 because you cannot get up tight to the buds for people like me who hate leaf on their buds and #2 i get plenty of finger hash trimming with scissors not to mention the stuff that sticks to em....good stuff there..cant wait till i harvest again...

Trimming preference does, of course, depend on the intended market. Back in NC the ganja is super untrimmed and still goes for crazy high prices, everything is relative. Around here, Norcal, you MUST trim perfectly, "no crows feet".

Tip: Trim your buds upside down and work from the bottom of the plant to the top. You can get a much faster trim (IMO) and will remove more of the leaf material as well as more stem on fan leaves.