What's new

Trichomes weird- anybody know what’s going on?

Soiledseed

Hello fellow growers,
I’m facing an issue that I’ve dealt with in the past, different strain. Not sure why it’s happening.
I’m observing my trichomes that I would suspect are reaching maturation, and this is what I see:
Much of the trichome heads are shriveled, with clear or amber within them. Some have normal heads, but are either clear or amber. Very few cloudy trichomes if any. Included are some microscope pics, but that is the gist. Organic growing, outdoor girls.

I appreciate your time reading this!

Soiledseed

Attachments

• 2839DF28-1F5A-4F1A-BE5B-C4EC482D9E52.jpeg
    2839DF28-1F5A-4F1A-BE5B-C4EC482D9E52.jpeg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 156
  • E0198C8C-5852-4544-85E1-599BC2547B49.jpeg
    E0198C8C-5852-4544-85E1-599BC2547B49.jpeg
    944.8 KB · Views: 158

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Outdoor plants do things that indoor plants don't. Between the Sun and dew point, humidity and temperature, outdoor plants face a lot of conditions that cause the resin to conform in ways that are suited for the outdoors. There's nothing one can do except extending the flowering time or harvest early. That weed looks good to me. Thanks for sharing. 😎

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Trichomes can literally burst their cells and begin withering if they fill to quickly. I have to remember to start saving these research papers I find. lol Crazy stuff out there. :) It might be a possibility in this case, but I'm definitely not sure enough to say.

Soiledseed

Trichomes can literally burst their cells and begin withering if they fill to quickly. I have to remember to start saving these research papers I find. lol Crazy stuff out there. :) It might be a possibility in this case, but I'm definitely not sure enough to say.
Yes you do! To share with the world 😅
I know, there’s so much to learn. Definitely appreciate spaces like this- thanks anyway for chipping in your thought :)

Soiledseed

Outdoor plants do things that indoor plants don't. Between the Sun and dew point, humidity and temperature, outdoor plants face a lot of conditions that cause the resin to conform in ways that are suited for the outdoors. There's nothing one can do except extending the flowering time or harvest early. That weed looks good to me. Thanks for sharing. 😎
Thanks Creeperpark.
I’m a big fan of outdoor growing for all the variability and reasons, but yeah I do want to get some clearer answers about the trichomes. I did find upon inspecting them further today that the ones further inside the bud look better- less smashed heads, and certainly more cloudy ones. Still largely clear.
What did you mean though in regards to extending the flowering time or harvesting early?

Thanks,
Soiledseed

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think my terps in the tric heads just evaporate away, leaving half empty sacs and bland tasting dope. Not sure what to do except find a way to really chill down when lights are off, and still hit the VPD number. My room can’t get that dry, so I keep the temp constant around 75*F. Growers finishing with the frost shown around here got skills.

Soiledseed

I think my terps in the tric heads just evaporate away, leaving half empty sacs and bland tasting dope. Not sure what to do except find a way to really chill down when lights are off, and still hit the VPD number. My room can’t get that dry, so I keep the temp constant around 75*F. Growers finishing with the frost shown around here got skills.
I think my terps in the tric heads just evaporate away, leaving half empty sacs and bland tasting dope. Not sure what to do except find a way to really chill down when lights are off, and still hit the VPD number. My room can’t get that dry, so I keep the temp constant around 75*F. Growers finishing with the frost shown around here got skills

Thanks man. Growing outdoors versus indoors, so we have some differences. But yeah it’s getting chilly quick. Some of my girls aren’t even flowering yet 😳

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks Creeperpark.
I’m a big fan of outdoor growing for all the variability and reasons, but yeah I do want to get some clearer answers about the trichomes. I did find upon inspecting them further today that the ones further inside the bud look better- less smashed heads, and certainly more cloudy ones. Still largely clear.
What did you mean though in regards to extending the flowering time or harvesting early?

Thanks,
Soiledseed
The only choice one has in flowering is waiting or not waiting. IF taking a sample bud satisfies your med needs then you can harvest. There's not anythng else one can do in late flowering. 😎

St. Phatty

Just get a copy of "Nitro PDF" application.

You print the web page, it converts it into a PDF.

The PDF has the original link, in case you want to go back.

Works better than saving as HTML.

Soiledseed

Just get a copy of "Nitro PDF" application.

You print the web page, it converts it into a PDF.

The PDF has the original link, in case you want to go back.

Works better than saving as HTML.
Ah I was hoping that was for me to find some articles. Shucks. Either way helpful lil tidbit

Soiledseed

Sorry, OP, your photos were very blurry. I would wonder about your watering with shrunken trichomes.
Sorry about that grayeyes, doing the best I can with an old iPhone putting it up to the microscope lens. I agree it’s not so clear. But believe me when I say they are shriveled up.
Have you learned anything regarding watering in regards to trichomes? If so, what?- and again, the inner bud trichomes are in better shape for what that’s worth.
Thanks,
Soiledseed

grayeyes

Soiled, how hot did the pots get while growing. I suspect something like that happened. Leached the water away from the roots.

Soiledseed

Soiled, how hot did the pots get while growing. I suspect something like that happened. Leached the water away from the roots.
Hey grayeyes,
Not sure I understand your question? I guess as hot as the air in the heat of summer, hopefully a little less? They’re all in 10 gallon smart pots outdoors. Why, what are you thinking?

Douglas.Curtis

Either I or someone else will find that research paper again at some point...

Your plants literally burst cells in the trichomes and evaporated/oxidized the exposed terpenes. Trichomes are made up of (IIRC) around 8 cells. Changing from moderate to turbo production of resins (high heat periods) can fill these cells faster than they can stretch. So... they rupture instead.

Physics ;)

St. Phatty

Explain the physiogical response to hot dirt being the cause of shrivelled trichomes. Please.

Hot dirt stops or slows down photosynthesis.

Roots do not like being hot.

Hot dirt can also throw the plants into "Survival Mode" ... which often means Hermies.

BUT Empirical Data is usually better than theory.

Need 2 identical clones side by side, one in hot dirt, the other in cool dirt, so the only variable is temperature of the dirt.

Douglas.Curtis

Yeahhh... no. Not buying the oxidation/evaporation of terpenes/cannabinoids due to survival mode from rotting/cooking roots.

Trichomes on dessicated cannabis is turgid and perfect, even though the plant has dried out. At most, the heads dry and fall off leaving nice looking yet headless trichs.

Latest posts

Latest posts