What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me's First Grow & Grow Diary

Fiddynut

Thanks, Fiddy! Any recommendations on when I should top?

Tri_Cho_Me
Good afternoon Tri_Cho_Me. I believe you can top once you have at least 3 sets of real leaves but most people wait until the fifth set to top. The earlier you do it the lower the first crotch will be and the bushier your girls will be. I'd wait a few days because they look like they are just starting to blow up. Topping will slow them down for a few days. Maybe top once before transplant and again a couple weeks after. Topping and transplanting will stress them a bit and you don't want to do both at once if you can help it. Looking good!

Tri_Cho_Me

Good afternoon Tri_Cho_Me. I believe you can top once you have at least 3 sets of real leaves but most people wait until the fifth set to top. The earlier you do it the lower the first crotch will be and the bushier your girls will be. I'd wait a few days because they look like they are just starting to blow up. Topping will slow them down for a few days. Maybe top once before transplant and again a couple weeks after. Topping and transplanting will stress them a bit and you don't want to do both at once if you can help it. Looking good!

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll top at the beginning of next week and plan to transplant the following weekend.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 13 Veg

Day 13 Veg

Hey all, quick update...

Last time I watered was on Monday with a little molasses and I did the same tonight. I keep thinking not much has changed, but then i look back at pictures from just a couple days ago and I quickly snap back to reality. :biggrin:

I feel like I'm getting close to potting up to my 1 gallon Smart pots. Maybe one night next week I'll have the time. The stems have hardened and have a coating on the outside now. You can kind of see it in a couple of the pictures.

I also feel like I'm getting close to topping, but everything is so dang dense! I don't know that I can get in there to do anything. I lowered the light a little bit more to 28 inches (Advanced Platinum recommends 24) because I had left it higher previously, in anticipation of them growing into the light vertically more.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• #1 Day 13 Veg.jpg
    #1 Day 13 Veg.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 16
  • #1 Day 13 Veg - Peek Inside.jpg
    #1 Day 13 Veg - Peek Inside.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 10
  • #1 Day 13 Veg - So Packed!.jpg
    #1 Day 13 Veg - So Packed!.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 15
  • #1 Day 13 Veg - Packed Two.jpg
    #1 Day 13 Veg - Packed Two.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 12
  • #1 Day 13 Veg - Blurry Top.jpg
    #1 Day 13 Veg - Blurry Top.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 13 Veg cont'd

Day 13 Veg cont'd

A few more pics

Attachments

• Day 13 Veg - Temp and RH.jpg
    Day 13 Veg - Temp and RH.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Nestled in Tight.jpg
    Nestled in Tight.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • #2 Day 13 Veg - Top.jpg
    #2 Day 13 Veg - Top.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15
  • #2 Day 13 Veg.jpg
    #2 Day 13 Veg.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 16

chomsky

Hey all, quick update...

Last time I watered was on Monday with a little molasses and I did the same tonight. I keep thinking not much has changed, but then i look back at pictures from just a couple days ago and I quickly snap back to reality. :biggrin:

I feel like I'm getting close to potting up to my 1 gallon Smart pots. Maybe one night next week I'll have the time. The stems have hardened and have a coating on the outside now. You can kind of see it in a couple of the pictures.

I also feel like I'm getting close to topping, but everything is so dang dense! I don't know that I can get in there to do anything. I lowered the light a little bit more to 28 inches (Advanced Platinum recommends 24) because I had left it higher previously, in anticipation of them growing into the light vertically more.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tri_Cho_Me

Wait till there are five nodes then top the 5th. Give it a few days to recover then transplant to bigger pots.I highly recommend Mykos at every transplant. Also remember the temp and heat will be different at the canopy than where your thermometer is sitting. I always have several temp and RH meters around my grow room.One as close to canopy as possible.

Looking good!!!

Tri_Cho_Me

Wait till there are five nodes then top the 5th. Give it a few days to recover then transplant to bigger pots.I highly recommend Mykos at every transplant. Also remember the temp and heat will be different at the canopy than where your thermometer is sitting. I always have several temp and RH meters around my grow room.One as close to canopy as possible.

Looking good!!!

How many nodes am I at now?

My thermometer is closer to the canopy than it looks. Bad angle.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Ha yea, I have a collection of "feel the Bern" T-shirts. I photographed the shirt. This one says keep calm and Bern one....

I like it! I need to update mine to something better than a stupid bee. Maybe I should go with, ya know, and actual trichome. Either that or something TOOL related. Love those cats.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

Looking good Tri_Cho_me. Your girls are starting to take off. When you top you can just pinch the top set of leaves between your fingers and pull them off. There is not always a lot of room to get a trimmer in there. Or you could F.I.M. them and you may get 4 new branches rather than 2. Either way looking good. Keep up the good work.

chomsky

Looking good Tri_Cho_me. Your girls are starting to take off. When you top you can just pinch the top set of leaves between your fingers and pull them off. There is not always a lot of room to get a trimmer in there. Or you could F.I.M. them and you may get 4 new branches rather than 2. Either way looking good. Keep up the good work.

I know everybody does things a little different so I'm not trying to step on toes however, I would not pinch with your fingers to top. I get a clean pair of small scissors clean them with hydrogen peroxide and then snip off the top. No reason not to be careful and no reason to introduce bacteria into your plants if you pinch them with your fingers. I mean really man who knows where those fingers have been?

Last edited:

Fiddynut

I know everybody does things a little different so I'm not trying to step on toes however I would not pinch with your fingers to top. I get a clean pair of small scissors clean them and hydrogen peroxide and then snip off the top. No reason not to be careful and no reason to introduce bacteria into your stands if you pinch them with your fingers. I mean really man who knows where those fingers have been?
Good point chomsky. For topping Just use a clean utensil is what's important. If you do any pinching then be sure to clean those hands well. And by pinching I mean pinching the branch before bending or supercropping.

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 16 Veg

Day 16 Veg

Hey all, quick update.

I watered again this morning. Cups were super light and was even thinking of watering last night, but I wanted to make sure they were nice and dry. I decided to add a bit of nutrients this time. I am using the powdered MaxiBloom. The bag recommends 1-2 teaspoons, however, I decided to go super light and only used 1/8 teaspoon per gallon. The two girls don't seem to be showing any sign of deficiency, but I have kept them in the Solo cups longer than I anticipated, so I feel like it's ok to water them with a light nute solution. The soil is probably starting to lose some of it's zing.

I think the first set of leaves is starting to yellow a little on #1. Makes sense since they're at the bottom of the pile and probably aren't getting much light.

Other than that, just trying to stay patient and make sure the temperature and humidity stay in acceptable ranges. I am getting close to that 5th node, Chomsky. I am thinking this coming week will be when I am able to finally top them. Well, #1 at least. Not sure #2 is that far along yet.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• #1 Day 16 Veg.jpg
    #1 Day 16 Veg.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
  • #1 Day 16 Veg - Top.jpg
    #1 Day 16 Veg - Top.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 19
  • #1 Day 16 Veg - Bushy.jpg
    #1 Day 16 Veg - Bushy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 17
  • #2 Day 16 Veg.jpg
    #2 Day 16 Veg.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Day 16 Veg - In the Tent.jpg
    Day 16 Veg - In the Tent.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 16

Tri_Cho_Me

First Trim - Day 16

First Trim - Day 16

So, over the past couple days I've noticed a couple of the lower leaves were starting to get discolored and figured it was only a matter of time, they weren't seeing the light. Snipped them as close to the base as I could. In and out! *wipes hands clean*

A couple pics below of the first sets of leaves from both #1 and #2. The starter leaves were removed in the first week or two of #2's life. It was struggling the first couple days above 'ground', the leaves were yellow at the time....I just removed them.

Some of the new growth at the base stem is starting to really pick up with lots of little leaves twirling out. They are getting stuck under bigger leaves and fighting for life basically. Very intriguing to me. In my narrow mindedness, I assumed the plants (as a whole species) would grow more vertical. I realize this is an Indica, and they aren't known for being vertical, but still! I mean, three weeks in and they're not even six inches off the soil.

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• #1 Day 16 Veg - first trim.jpg
    #1 Day 16 Veg - first trim.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 18
  • #2 Day 16 Veg - first trim.jpg
    #2 Day 16 Veg - first trim.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 17

daveyhouse

Your plants at 2 weeks look like mine at 3 in the cups, awesome job. Remember at 3 mine were about root bound. You might want to transplant soon and especially before topping them.
I think your gonna find your roots out to the edges already because your leaves are already out there

Tri_Cho_Me

Your plants at 2 weeks look like mine at 3 in the cups, awesome job. Remember at 3 mine were about root bound. You might want to transplant soon and especially before topping them.
I think your gonna find your roots out to the edges already because your leaves are already out there

I know, I am still kind of playing it by ear between the topping and re-potting. Since they are more dense than I anticipated, I may re-pot and let them get further along before I top. I'll definitely make sure they have time to adjust to their new pots of course :)

Tri_Cho_Me

chomsky

I know, I am still kind of playing it by ear between the topping and re-potting. Since they are more dense than I anticipated, I may re-pot and let them get further along before I top. I'll definitely make sure they have time to adjust to their new pots of course :)

Tri_Cho_Me

Good thinking. I assure those are nowhere close to root bound yet. I'd say you're good to transplant now or in a few days. Again I'm pushing mykos on ya. It'll really help in the transplant. Once you do growth may stunt for a few days then you'll see an explosion of growth. Just be careful removing from cups. Cut the cup with a scissors to loosen it. Make sure your transplant soil is nice and moist with fresh soil and don't be afraid to start with nutes. Go 1/2 or 3/4 strength. You'll be fine!!!! Lookin good

Latest posts

Latest posts