What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

armedoldhippy

Veteran
. wait... can elephants swing swords with their trunks??
yes. there is one i've watched on youtube that paints, does some neat color compositions.
Neither .50 BMG, nor S&W .500 Mag.
the British have been making large caliber rifles for India and Africa for way over a hundred years. it would probably be easier to write a list of calibers that they have NOT built. i made a faulty assumption about it being .50 BMG. most govt agencies don't go out and buy exotic/prehistoric caliber firearms for park employees. those both look like recent manufacture bolt actions, esp the one on right in synthetic stock..

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
yes. there is one i've watched on youtube that paints, does some neat color compositions.

We watched this elephant expertly strip the bark off of a piece of wood using his (?) tusks, mouth and truck. It only took a few minutes. Fascinating animals.

ellie-srip-bark.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
hey cull elephants in certain areas of Africa where the population gets out of control.

Yes, unfortunately elephants need a lot of space since they are always eating and moving. They stomp down small trees to get at the tender shoots and bark, so they are very destructive as they roam. The males are kicked out of the herd when they hit adolescence, so a single elephant is usually male and often more aggressive. These are the guys that get into trouble - especially if they are in must (horny).

Here is a snap my wife got of a young male charging us. ;)

ellie-not-happy.jpg

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I've got a favorite movie called "Demons"...by Dario Argento produced by Lambardo Bava. It's from 1985. In the film, there's people at a movie theater who watch a horror movie. They end up turning into demons.
It's Italian but has English sound and was released in America. Since it's kind of Euro classy, Arty, I figured it would have a message. What is the message of the movie I asked myself. Something about technology and machines and people doing horrible things to each other. Perhaps that is it...that we have created machines that turned us into monsters. Or machines turn us into monsters. We created the machines...and it makes us do horrible things to each other. We use the machines to do ghastly things to one another. In this case a movie turns people into demons. And they kill everyone in the theater one by one. In horrible ways. The movie/projector was the machine here...and it turned people into demons who killed everyone.

I've thought about this movie often. I own the DVD now. I was thinking maybe this was a story from the USSR/Russia that got leaked to the west...that they pumped biological stuff into a movie theater and the test subjects started like eating and killing everyone in the theater.
Must see movie. Demons. 1985.

moose eater

I've got a favorite movie called "Demons"...by Dario Argento produced by Lambardo Bava. It's from 1985. In the film, there's people at a movie theater who watch a horror movie. They end up turning into demons.
It's Italian but has English sound and was released in America. Since it's kind of Euro classy, Arty, I figured it would have a message. What is the message of the movie I asked myself. Something about technology and machines and people doing horrible things to each other. Perhaps that is it...that we have created machines that turned us into monsters. Or machines turn us into monsters. We created the machines...and it makes us do horrible things to each other. We use the machines to do ghastly things to one another. In this case a movie turns people into demons. And they kill everyone in the theater one by one. In horrible ways. The movie/projector was the machine here...and it turned people into demons who killed everyone.

I've thought about this movie often. I own the DVD now. I was thinking maybe this was a story from the USSR/Russia that got leaked to the west...that they pumped biological stuff into a movie theater and the test subjects started like eating and killing everyone in the theater.
Must see movie. Demons. 1985.
The news had the Russian/Soviet theater catastrophe presented as a terrorist attack or response to one, iirc.

Doob, I'm hypothesizing you recently re-upped on that kief supply, and it's some pretty good shit.

AmIright??

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
The news had the Russian/Soviet theater catastrophe presented as a terrorist attack or response to one, iirc.

Doob, I'm hypothesizing you recently re-upped on that kief supply, and it's some pretty good shit.

AmIright??
Oh i have kief. It's not my favorite cultivator though. Doesn't get me as high. I thought about that movie while I was high for sure

moose eater

I just started going through the instructions for the new 'ROC' (ride on cover) for the new 2023 Ski-Doo Skandic Wide-Track 600R ETEC.

Holy SHIT!!

Just to confirm the correct part #, required I-don't-know-how-long on the internet, and 2 long-distance phone calls.

Then NINE FUCKING PAGES of instructions that had to be found at a web page that required part number and descriptions to locate them!!!! ...when I was initially looking to confirm the part # to begin with!!

It's a trailering cover for a snowmobile, fer' fuck's sake!! Not a Rubix Cube or a space shuttle thruster diagram!!

Someone needs to take the cocaine supply away from the engineers, and demand they get at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night as an employment mandate, just to keep them from victimizing us with this shit!!

This shit's obviously the product of a circular trap in one's mind, like a skipping needle on a record, where chasing a non-existent problem ends up taking precedent over the original task.. over and over.. like Ground Hog's day goes to a horror movie theme.

Been there and done that, so I can recognize the fruits. But CHRIST!!

Who ever thought one would need to hire a consultant to overcome the functions of a fucking snowmobile cover?

We used to buy my preferred Dow Black Knight/Guardian, heavy cotton-canvas covers, sew some seat-belt webbing with backer and quick-clips (buckles) onto the area near the ski suspension to keep the things in place in 70-mph winds on the trailers, and call it good. Worked for years. But I can't find them online any more.

I want my mommy. Wait.. No I don't. She'd just ridicule me for being an idiot.

Maybe I can just score some good coke and invite the Bombardier engineers over? At the bare minimum, I could at least enjoy the same circular, unending thought process they're clearly enjoying.

Proficiency and convenience aren't always proficient or convenient. The primary lessons of the computer age.

moose eater

I've never been on a snow mobile. Too many locals losing their heads when they run into fencing and barbed wire. That was in Schenectady at least. Nothing here in Boston. Hope you get the cover @moose eater
Cover's here already, Doober. Opened it up and immediately ascertained someone had incorporated -far- more complexity to an otherwise simple item and process than ought to have been involved. Thus, I went looking to confirm all sorts of things, and fell into a rabbit hole I simply had no time for..

Spoke with my wife about assisting in the initial process of fitting the thing in real life, here and now, in the barn, out of the immediate weather (light snow with possible freezing rain), using the NINE pages of instructions(!!!), and I strongly suspect it's best if we employ a decent sedative before we attempt the first fitting.

I think a lower dose of Ativan is in order for this experiment. Probably best for all involved, including the cover.

And yeah, riding in urban or suburban settings, around fencing or private property (other than my own) isn't something I get into.

Knew a guy who was testing acceleration and performance on his new-ish Harley Springer in the mid-1990s in Valdez, Ak., and was at the grain terminal approach road, heading to the docks where some of the barges off-loaded there. He allegedly wanted to see what his new jets/carb would do (though who knows? Maybe more intent than that). He cranked it open going out that somewhat winding short road, and someone had closed the barricade/bar-type gate. OUCH!! DOA.

Last edited:

moose eater

Damn. I've never ridden a motorcycle either. Like driving the four wheeler Honda up in the Adirondacks
Started riding motorcycles at about age 11 or 12.

Snowmobiles much later in life.

Unlike most folks in the area/State, if I'm on a snowmobile/'snowmachine', I'm either traveling point A to point B in the bush, hauling firewood or other larger items on the property, or test-riding to make sure it's straight before doing one or the other of the aforementioned..

moose eater

cool bike. i had an old Sportster with a seat like that. fold up an old towel and fire it up! mine was a kicker though. can't even order a hog with a kick-start now...:dunno:
I think that a kick-start could be added on to the 2 FLHS's I ownedl; a 1991 and a 1992, though purchased in reverse order of production year. The '92 was the nicer one, bought with about 1,100 miles on it, as new, then modified, and I put well over 10,000 miles a year on that one.

Drove the 1991 up from Chula Vista, California, and the fellow who'd rebuilt the motor on the '91 wasn't quite as skilled or as honest as had been claimed.

experienced

It's really good when the cannabis and the alcohol come on together. There is no longer a sense of vulnerability. One is able to trancend one's " daily normality ". Music gains extra depth. All of time might compress into one sustained electronic note.

There are no Angels but one can fly on the sound of synthesizers. Endlessly upward where there might be a golden light. Or damn! the world intrudes and there are anxious notes . Don't bother with that listen instead to a Chorus sound . Their sound hints at timelessness. Times immemorable ( I 've been dying to use ' immerorable' in a sentence for a while now.)

The music is general it takes me to africa for a moment then I am back with ... Handel, I think. The composer is annoyed with himself and creates electronic sound to cover the gap in his musical ability. Maybe he has a story to tell that cannot be 'rationally' expressed?

What does this music evoke in me? What are the occasions in my past that this music resonates with? Does 'my past' include transgenerational learning? Do I experience life much like my great uncle or my even more distant ancestors experienced it? (Without the Tech of course.)

Was I the son of a Forester in ye olde ancient england. Was I like the little boy in Stevenson's book who accompanied Bonny Prince Charlie through the hills and heaths of Scotland on his escape to France? Were that story merely a part of the acculturation of a little boy born in scotland all so many moons ago? And not real at all?

One thing for sure. I am here now ... and it is a beautiful experience!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I am delighted to announce that I used power tools today . . . and . . . I did not injure myself. Yes, I wielded my jigsaw, my coveted cordless sawzall and the deadly and terrifying skilsaw and absolutely no blood was shed. Of course, truth be told, I don’t need power tools to injure myself and I can easily hurt myself - and probably have - with almost any tool. :rasta: