What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Green Squall

dang, Moose! every dog i ever had liked beer! first Dachshund we had would drink a bowl of beer, and a boilermaker afterwards. now, he couldn't keep his hind end in line with his front end while walking after that. looked like a motorcycle that had been wrecked & the frame bent...i hate hearing about your dog. GS's are bad to have hip dysplasia, that was my first guess. been better off if i had been right. they have some treatments for that these days...pet her for me. :good:
My dog (avatar) used to steal my empty beer bottles and I had no problem with him wetting his whistle with a few drops. I think he liked the taste more than anything else. Funny seeing him actually trying to tip the bottle upside down to see if there was anymore left lol. He was a lab/shepherd/hound mix who was taken too soon from doggy cancer. Shepherds are the best though, by far my favorite breed. It was the reason I chose him. This isn't a sob story, either, just a happy remembrance. I'll get another someday, but no immediate plans right now.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
This isn't a sob story, either, just a happy remembrance. I'll get another someday, but no immediate plans right now.
my wife and I are gonna go petless through the summer. she's wanting to have nothing to take care of until school starts back up in fall. worst dog-bite i ever suffered was from a German Shepherd, but i still like them. my wife? no...a BIG no. large dogs, yes, pitties or GSs, nope. maybe another Giant Schnauzer, or one of the retrievers. :good:

moose eater

moose...what type of gas are you running in your saws? dealer/mechanic here told me to run pure gas, no alcohol, because the rubber used in gaskets in small engines is not designed to handle that. i know, that shit is a dollar or more per gallon than the blended stuff...:shucks: pretty GS, too...
Well................ I drove WAY over to N. Pole Alaska, about 78 miles round-trip from my place, and he blew out the carb on my wife's saw, pulled once in full choke, then clicked up once to half-choke, and it fired right up... with my amended gas still in it, up to the brim.

Then he choked my pro saw, pulled once, it popped, then up to half-choke, and... voila! It also fired right up. With my gas still in it as well...

I'd done everything I knew to clear the carb on both saws, short of taking out the plugs and cranking over the piston to 'pump' (more aptly, 'blast') the fuel out through the sparkplug port.

I told the guy how far I'd driven, and that EVERY time I have to drive to their place, the woman who makes pretty darned awesome homemade tamales is closed!! Told him that'll have to change sometime in the near future. And I told him that apparently my saws missed him, and maybe they just wanted me to visit him?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
small engines are like that. sometimes you just have to take them and let a savant "lay hands upon them"... maybe they feel unappreciated? take them out just for fun & carve a totem pole or something...:good:

Petrochemical

I do remember very distinctly seeing emerald ash borers out in the woods and noticing them because of how brightly colored they are however this year I have seen six mating pair yes 6 Pileated woodpeckers the big ones are like the size of your forearm and the smaller version of them so many where I am locally that it's almost like they're chickadees and I've noticed that a lot of the ash trees seem to be doing very well and I'm wondering if the woodpeckers have been putting a Smash down on the emerald ash borers

Three Berries

I do remember very distinctly seeing emerald ash borers out in the woods and noticing them because of how brightly colored they are however this year I have seen six mating pair yes 6 Pileated woodpeckers the big ones are like the size of your forearm and the smaller version of them so many where I am locally that it's almost like they're chickadees and I've noticed that a lot of the ash trees seem to be doing very well and I'm wondering if the woodpeckers have been putting a Smash down on the emerald ash borers
They won't stop them. And the pleated woodpeckers will cause as much damage nearly.

When the as borer went through here, and still is. 5 years ago the wood pecker population exploded. 5 different species. But the bugs have done the damage by the time the woodies are looking for them.

It took about ten years from when I first started seeing the bug before almost all the ash are infected or dead.

Green Squall

my wife and I are gonna go petless through the summer. she's wanting to have nothing to take care of until school starts back up in fall. worst dog-bite i ever suffered was from a German Shepherd, but i still like them. my wife? no...a BIG no. large dogs, yes, pitties or GSs, nope. maybe another Giant Schnauzer, or one of the retrievers. :good:
Was it a guard dog or something? I've some across some nasty german shephereds in my day, my also gentle as can be family dogs. Whatever I end up up getting, I want something large for a hiking buddy and so I don't need to worry about the coyotes around here, which are pretty damn big.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
jump3.jpg

moose eater

I think any dog breed that has undergone less-than-divine intervention in their breeding background can be wonky, or if they are not properly socialized, or depending on how attached/jealous/protective of a person or group of persons, they can be a risk.

I was bitten by a white German shepherd when I was 12 or 13, when I rang a doorbell at a neighbor's home in NW Pennsylvania about 1971 or 1972, ironically, being present at their home to help the mother figure out the names and nature of the boys who'd assaulted their developmentally disabled son, whom too many persons in that rural area liked to torment or whoop on as some sort of twisted recreational endeavor. (*That's where I might occasionally interject, "fucking humans"). 'Lord of the Flies' or 'Animal Farm' type shit.

I've met pit bulls that were as sweet as any dog, and those whose 'smarts' were either bred or beaten out of them by some ne-'er-do-well who probably ought to have been turned into dog food long before they acquired their first 'pet'.

GSD's are, however, indeed known for being histrionic, though I personally and somewhat seriously believe in the case of ours, that the 'screaming' they seem to engage in when making strange sounds is related to knowing how to understand English better than many humans, but being stymied by the frustration of not being skilled at speaking it yet.

I hitchhiked many tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of miles with a Norwegian Elkhound. We still have one of them here, too. A rescue pup, somewhere near the same age as our graying shepherd. And while dedicated to family, opposed to bears and other predators regardless of size differences (watched her 'tree' bears while completely ignoring the animal she was supposedly bred to hunt over 5,000 years ago; moose), they are born hunters. Obedient as can be if trained when indoors, but for many, the lure of being able to run the woods and sniff out interesting critters, is just too tempting for them.

That one hated cops and bears with a passion. She'd drag a 70-lb. backpack on a choke collar to get to a cop, even if they were decent, and drag that same pack to get away from my harmonica playing, which seemed, to tickle her ears to a point of discomfort. Same with the dryer pressure fan/vent on a semi-tractor trailer rig, in which I had to typically hold her in a basket hold, in case that 'ppsssshhhh!' went off when we were in such a truck, as it tended to turn her into a living bottle rocket in your lap. :)

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
and drag that same pack to get away from my harmonica playing, which seemed, to tickle her ears to a point of discomfort. Same with the dryer pressure fan/vent on a semi-tractor trailer rig, in which I had to typically hold her in a basket hold, in case that 'ppsssshhhh!' went off when we were in such a truck, as it tended to turn her into a living bottle rocket in your lap. :)

Our sheltie . . . obviously jumps. For squirrels, balls, frisbees, a water hose . . . and he goes nuts with vacuum cleaners - he wants to lick the suction end or something . . . a knife sharpener will bring him running and barking from the other end of the house . . . as will one particular pair of nail clippers . . . and the coffee grinder. He is an amazing suck and very gentle and he hides from fireworks and leaves the room when we watch TV with any action noise. But he will lunge and bark at bigger dogs unless I restrain and caution him beforehand. And a true herder - he herds us when phones ring or the oven timer goes off, right at your heels nipping the fronts of your feet . . .

jump2.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Was it a guard dog or something? I've some across some nasty german shephereds in my day, my also gentle as can be family dogs. Whatever I end up up getting, I want something large for a hiking buddy and so I don't need to worry about the coyotes around here, which are pretty damn big.
lady that owned it lived across the street, just had moved there a few months prior. she asked me if i could use some cat food/litter, as her cat had just died. went to get it out of her garage & the dog broke open a locked screen door in mid-leap, bounced once & had me by my left arm. i don't blame the dog. where they lived before had a fenced yard & the POS kids in the neighborhood fucked with him constantly, throwing shit & jabbing it through the fence with sticks. it didn't like ANYBODY...and i'm not surprised. wish i had known all of that before it came through the door. fuck a whole bunch of cat food, lol...:shucks: