What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

First 2 pics are of Dronkers' Sensi Seeds California Indica, circa 1997, my 24-year-old keeper, which is about 2 stakes away from being fully restrained. She holds the production record here, which was 22.5 oz. in 4'x4'x6.5' area, under a 400-watt digital HPS.

I no longer do that layout in the boxes, however. THAT was back in the days of augmenting organic soilless mix with FF items and other organic additions, running 16 (lesser) pots per box. No need anymore, and the plants in there, done correctly, can produce pretty close to the original aggregate weights if done properly and thoughtfully.

The next couple pics are of Arjan's Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, of which the original is now 20+ years old; perhaps 21 or 22. She's not as productive as some, better than others, unique high, very fuzzy when she's happy, granular resin that feels like coarse brown sugar, and an INCREDIBLE lemon smell to Her.

Both were perpetuated from their original 'keepers' via clone to clone to clone over the years.
---------------------------------------------------
Additional Edit: If my cloudy memory serves me, these are (as of today, and the taking of these pics) about 5 weeks (+/-) into flower.

CI is fairly tight at about 63 to 65 days, providing she doesn't get thrown into a loop as a result of fertilizer or other variables being 'off' too much.

SLH is pretty quick, as well.
-------------------------------------------------

3rd edit: The plants in the images are currently under 315cmh lights (Sun Systems hoods for a bigger footprint than the Hydro-Farm 315cmh hoods, with 4000k Phillips bulbs).

Today I replaced the four LED wet-rated flood bulbs in each box's corners, which are hung in custom-made aluminum hangers in the corners, previously 150-watt equivalent in a 3000k spectrum, with LED wet-rated flood bulbs at the 250-watt equivalent, with 3000k. I still need to upgrade the LED floods bulbs in the corners of two more boxes to get those additions completed.

Attachments

• California Indica.JPG
    California Indica.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • California Indica (3).JPG
    California Indica (3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Arjans Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze.JPG
    Arjans Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Arjans Greenhouse seeds Super Lemon Haze (2).JPG
    Arjans Greenhouse seeds Super Lemon Haze (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Petrochemical

First 2 pics are of Dronkers' Sensi Seeds California Indica, circa 1997, my 24-year-old keeper, which is about 2 stakes away from being fully restrained. She holds the production record here, which was 22.5 oz. in 4'x4'x6.5' area, under a 400-watt digital HPS.

I no longer do that layout in the boxes, however. THAT was back in the days of augmenting organic soilless mix with FF items and other organic additions, running 16 (lesser) pots per box. No need anymore, and the plants in there, done correctly, can produce pretty close to the original aggregate weights if done properly and thoughtfully.

The next couple pics are of Arjan's Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, of which the original is now 20+ years old; perhaps 21 or 22. She's not as productive as some, better than others, unique high, very fuzzy when she's happy, granular resin that feels like coarse brown sugar, and an INCREDIBLE lemon smell to Her.

Both were perpetuated from their original 'keepers' via clone to clone to clone over the years.
---------------------------------------------------
Additional Edit: If my cloudy memory serves me, these are (as of today, and the taking of these pics) about 5 weeks (+/-) into flower.

CI is fairly tight at about 63 to 65 days, providing she doesn't get thrown into a loop as a result of fertilizer or other variables being 'off' too much.

SLH is pretty quick, as well.
--------------------------------------------------

3rd edit: The plants in the images are currently under 315cmh lights (Sun Systems hoods for a bigger footprint than the Hydro-Farm 315cmh hoods, with 4000k Phillips bulbs).

Today I replaced the four LED wet-rated flood bulbs in each box's corners, which are hung in custom-made aluminum hangers in the corners, previously 150-watt equivalent in a 3000k spectrum, with LED wet-rated flood bulbs at the 250-watt equivalent, with 3000k. I still need to upgrade the LED floods bulbs in the corners of two more boxes to get those additions completed.
Whoever trims those up will be full of work

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran

Here are some interesting, but true facts, that you may or may not have known.​

1. The Statue of Liberty's index finger is eight feet long.
2. Rain has never been recorded in some parts of the Atacama Desert in Chile.
3. A 75 year old person will have slept about 23 years.
4. Boeing 747's wing span is longer than the Wright brother's first flight. The Wright brother's invented the airplane.
5. There are as many chickens on earth as there are humans.
6. One type of hummingbird weighs less than a penny.
7. The word "set" has the most number of definitions in the English language; 192 Slugs have four noses.
8. Sharks can live up to 100 years.
9. Mosquitos are more attracted to the color blue than any other color.
10. Kangaroos can't walk backwards.
11. About 75 acres of pizza are eaten in in the U.S. everyday.
12. The largest recorded snowflake was 15 Inch wide and 8 Inch thick. It fell in Montana in 1887.
13. The tip of a bullwhip moves so fast that the sound it makes is actually a tiny sonic boom.
14. Former president Bill Clinton only sent 2 emails in his entire 8 year presidency.
15. Koalas and humans are the only animals that have finger prints.
16. There are 200,000,000 insects for every one human.
17. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery had in it to begin with.
18. The world's largest Montessori school is in India, with 26,312 students in 2002.
19. Octopus have three hearts.
20. If you ate too many carrots, you would turn orange.
21. The average person spends two weeks waiting for a traffic light to change.
22. 1 in 2,000,000,000 people will live to be 116 or old.
23. The body has 2-3 million sweat glands.
24. Sperm whales have the biggest brains; 20 lbs.
25. Tiger shark embroyos fight each other in their mother's womb. The survivor is born.
26. Most cats are left pawed.
27. 250 people have fallen off the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
28. A Blue whale's tongue weighs more than an elephant.
29. You use 14 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. Keep Smiling!
30. Bamboo can grow up to 3 ft in 24 hours.
31. An eyeball weighs about 1 ounce.

RMS

:smoweed:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran

Five Drinking Stories That Put Yours To Shame​

Turns out, the best drinking stories in history are actually, well, historical. So raise a glass to your forefathers and marvel at these tales.

1. Admiral Edward Russell's 17th-Century throwdown
Think you can drink like a sailor? Maybe you should take a moment to reflect on what that truly means.
The record for history's largest cocktail belongs to British Lord Admiral Edward Russell. In 1694, he threw an officer's party that employed a garden's fountain as the punch bowl.
The concoction? A mixture that included 250 gallons of brandy, 125 gallons of Malaga wine, 1,400 pounds of sugar, 2,500 lemons, 20 gallons of lime juice, and 5 pounds of nutmeg.
A series of bartenders actually paddled around in a small wooden canoe, filling up guests' cups. Not only that, but they had to work in 15-minute shifts to avoid being overcome by the fumes and falling overboard.
The party continued nonstop for a full week, pausing only briefly during rainstorms to erect a silk canopy over the punch to keep it from getting watered down. In fact, the festivities didn't end until the fountain had been drunk completely dry.

2. The London Brew-nami of 1814
The Industrial Revolution wasn't all steam engines and textile mills. Beer production increased exponentially, as well. Fortunately, the good people of England were up to the challenge and drained kegs as fast as they were made. Brewery owners became known as "beer barons," and they spent their newfound wealth in an age-old manner -- by trying to party more than the next guy.
Case in point: In 1814, Meux's Horse Shoe Brewery in London constructed a brewing vat that was 22 feet tall and 60 feet in diameter, with an interior big enough to seat 200 for dinner -- which is exactly how its completion was celebrated. (Why 200? Because a rival had built a vat that seated 100, of course.)
After the dinner, the vat was filled to its 4,000-barrel capacity. Pretty impressive, given the grand scale of the project, but pretty unfortunate given that they overlooked a faulty supporting hoop. Yup, the vat ruptured, causing other vats to break, and the resulting commotion was heard up to 5 miles away.
A wall of 1.3 million gallons of dark beer washed down the street, caving in two buildings and killing nine people by means of "drowning, injury, poisoning by the porter fumes, or drunkenness."
The story gets even more unbelievable, though. Rescue attempts were blocked and delayed by the thousands who flocked to the area to drink directly off the road. And when survivors were finally brought to the hospital, the other patients became convinced from the smell that the hospital was serving beer to every ward except theirs. A riot broke out, and even more people were left injured.
Sadly, this incident was not deemed tragic enough at the time to merit an annual memorial service and/or reenactment.

3. New York state of mind: The Dutch ingratiate themselves to the natives
In 1609, the Dutch sent English explorer Henry Hudson westward for a third attempt at finding the fabled
Northeast Passage. A near mutiny forced him southward, and upon reaching land, he encountered members of the Delaware Indian tribe.
To foster good relations, Hudson shared his brandy with the tribal chief, who soon passed out. But upon waking up the next day, he asked Hudson to pour some more for the rest of his tribe. From then on, the Indians referred to the island as Manahachtanienk -- literally, "The High Island."
And not "high" as in "tall;" high as in "the place where we got blotto." Most people would agree that Manhattan has stayed true to the spirit of its name ever since.

4. The worst aftertaste in history
In 1805, British Admiral Horatio Nelson was killed during the Battle of Trafalgar off the coast of Spain.
Most sailors were simply put to rest at sea, but as an admiral, Nelson had to be brought back to England for an official burial.
To preserve his body during the voyage home, the second-in-command stored Nelson's body in the ship's vat of rum and halted all liquor rations to the crew. Not a bad idea, but when the ship reached port, officials went to retrieve Nelson's body and found the vat dry.
Disregarding good taste (in every sense), the crew had been secretly drinking from it the entire way home. After that, naval rum was referred to as Nelson's Blood.

5. Indian elephants raid the liquor cabinet
No wonder they don't sell beer at the circus. Apparently, elephants like to get wasted. In fact, an outpost of the Indian army in the jungle region of Bagdogra has been under attack ever since a local herd of elephants raided the base in search of food and discovered the soldiers' entire winter rations of rum.
Since then, the pachyderms have regularly raided the base for a drink and have smashed down all defenses put up by the army, including electrified fences and firewalls.
According to The Daily Telegraph, "An officer recently posted there explained that the elephants broke the rum bottles by cleverly curling their trunks around the bottom. Then they empty the contents down their throats. They soon got drunk, he said, and swayed around. They enjoy themselves and then return to the jungle."
This is by no means a singular incident, though. The animal kingdom is well-known for its ability to identify fruit that's begun to ferment. Anthropologists even believe this is how early man discovered alcohol -- by observing the strange behavior of animals on a fruit bender.

file.php

Source: https://www.mentalfloss.com/

RMS

:smoweed:

Green Squall

Operation Cinder Block is complete.. I needed a few more to finish a small raised bed garden and found four on the drive home today. Perfect fucking timing!

My cannabis plants have taken space priority in the main garden, so a smaller, supplemental one was needed for foodstuffs, i.e. tomatoes, beans, bok choy, peppers and the like.

They will start to receive partial sunshine on May 19, which is tomato release day at the nursery, so I think that's a good way to gauge the timing. They'll most likely go into the ground at the end of the month.

moose eater

Operation Cinder Block is complete.. I needed a few more to finish a small raised bed garden and found four on the drive home today. Perfect fucking timing!

My cannabis plants have taken space priority in the main garden, so a smaller, supplemental one was needed for foodstuffs, i.e. tomatoes, beans, bok choy, peppers and the like.

They will start to receive partial sunshine on May 19, which is tomato release day at the nursery, so I think that's a good way to gauge the timing. They'll most likely go into the ground at the end of the month.
Hadn't considered concrete blocks for raised beds. Is there anything known about transferring contaminants into soil?

The reason why I NEVER use treated lumber in a veggie or cannabis crop is that very issue; food stuffs acquiring toxins or contaminants. Flower beds or ornamentals, fine, but food or cannabis, no way.

I was pricing #2 cedar boards here the other day. My primary concern with using cedar in the raised veggie beds is my uncertainty as to the microbes and other critters in the soil, and wondering if the natural anti-fungal, anti-this, and anti-that in cedar harms the soil community, too? Probably a lot safer than copper naphthenate though.

Otherwise, we used to see what I think were either 3"x5" or 3"x6" garden bed 'rails', and I wasn't able to find them online this year, either at the box stores, or the local places, though a few specialty lumber outfits may have them. I'll check later.

In the interim, I ended up pricing 2"x12"x8' cedar, and while it was more readily available for ordering, EVERYTHING has gone up in price since I last looked into any off this.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have never seen a study, where any element was increased or lowered to find the most effective level, while also paying lip service to any ratio ideals.

Example: The last time somebody spoke of ratio's, the chat moved to K levels and a study they offered. As usual, a base feed was used, and different K levels. I bit my lip, but this ratio stuff bothers me. Can anyone show it's real in this century? I can only find that it's not.

moose eater

I have never seen a study, where any element was increased or lowered to find the most effective level, while also paying lip service to any ratio ideals.

Example: The last time somebody spoke of ratio's, the chat moved to K levels and a study they offered. As usual, a base feed was used, and different K levels. I bit my lip, but this ratio stuff bothers me. Can anyone show it's real in this century? I can only find that it's not.
One of the earlier books I actually paid attention to re. cultivation was Ed Rosenthal's 'Closet Cultivator.' A fairly elementary book really, but did a good job at that time making the whole process fairly easily understood.

That said, I spent years operating under the general N-P-K ratios expressed in that book. My bloom mix (soilless and mostly organic) rested on a 1-3-2 ratio for the N-P-K. For vegetative I tried to make that about a 2-1-1 or a 3-2-2 ratio in re. to N-P-K.

My problem, aside from hard water after we put the well in about 22-23 years ago, included changing value and content in organic amendments, and the oddity that I seem to have LOTS of magnesium and potassium in my more recent tests from a year or so, despite cutting way back on those amendments that typically bring those things; the brands of organic worm castings, for example.

And I sure wish the GTH#1 and the SLH would mellow out re. feeding regimen, and adopt the casual, laid-back attitude that the CI seems to possess.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I liked that book. It was my first read and put Ed on a pedestal where he lives until this day. He's pleading to come down for a piss, but I'm not having it :)

Different plant species have varied susceptibility to nutrient antagonisms. Changes in feed making very obvious changes in plant expression for some. pH changes making colour changes that we can't instigate with a deep freeze, and such. The one size fits all approach to reporting seems to be wasted on cannabis though. A plant that's very good at finding what it needs, in a wide range of conditions. This leads to a different school of thought. One the UK agro testing labs work to. Where it's having enough of each element available that matters. Viewed individually.
Perhaps the agro labs are keeping it simple, but when you try talking about ratio's they totally dismiss it, like I'm asking if fairy poop is useful. I have to presume these guys went to agro school, but they could be just lab techs.
This is why I'm unsettled.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Interesting (but false) "facts" you might have noticed...
number 5- just one farm killed over 5 million chickens the other day, (bird flu) then fired the 200 people they hired to do the job.
number 15- chimpanzees & gorillas also have fingerprints.
number 21- why wait? i see cops run them all the time & then pull in at Krispy Kreme...:wave:

Three Berries

A door, a wall on Mars. Like a portal, the entrance of an old mine, a simple doorway…Or just a rock… You decide… Image credits: NASA / JPL-Caltech. Mars Rover…

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F04b23e7f-e28f-4e4b-97c2-6b32729c6512_1260x1095.jpeg

moose eater

I liked that book. It was my first read and put Ed on a pedestal where he lives until this day. He's pleading to come down for a piss, but I'm not having it :)

Different plant species have varied susceptibility to nutrient antagonisms. Changes in feed making very obvious changes in plant expression for some. pH changes making colour changes that we can't instigate with a deep freeze, and such. The one size fits all approach to reporting seems to be wasted on cannabis though. A plant that's very good at finding what it needs, in a wide range of conditions. This leads to a different school of thought. One the UK agro testing labs work to. Where it's having enough of each element available that matters. Viewed individually.
Perhaps the agro labs are keeping it simple, but when you try talking about ratio's they totally dismiss it, like I'm asking if fairy poop is useful. I have to presume these guys went to agro school, but they could be just lab techs.
This is why I'm unsettled.
There was a somewhat heated and ego-addled debate here among some of the New-School-vs-Old-School soil agronomists, soil scientists, and others. I'll abstain from naming names, and not all egos were presented or injured equally, but the debate centered around the issues you've pointed to. Specifically, or even implicitly sometimes, whether plants (in this case cannabis) tend to possess a specific ratio of preferred nutrients and elements/minerals where they excel, versus (giving them ample supply of anything they need, short of toxicity, and letting them 'eat' what they want/need.

In my case (and pointed out in many a comment from others, as well as from myself) with organic amendments changing in terms of source and actual verified content on a regular basis, and there being nearly ZERO enforcement re. accuracy in labeling in organic gardening amendments, the possibility of constructing a 'formula' or recipe for a mix that relies on set weights or measures of amendments, and produces a reliable, consistent results in testing, is pretty close to nada over a period of time; specifically, however long it takes any given box or bag of amendments to run out and be replaced.

Reactions: f-e

Latest posts

Latest posts