What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

It's up to the sender to make that claim Moose, it's literally on their dime that the package wasn't delivered. They paid for the shipping, they also paid for insurance I'm sure.

Your part of the equation is notifying your credit or debit card holder to stop or reverse the payment back to you.

Once the money is taken back from them you'll see how fast you get your shit delivered again.

Also, I always tell the sender (if given a hard time by them) "There's an awful lot of choices I could have made to buy my parts through!" and then I leave it at that, an open ended threat to being able to take my business elsewhere w/o saying so.......

M

moose eater

That was my recollection, as well, Stoner, but when I approached the business that shipped the package, they told me it was insured, and up to me to pursue.

If I cancel payment to the business, they may not ship to me again.. which would be a loss. Who knows?

I'll call them back, though.

I've had horrible experiences nearly 30 years ago with the USPS insurance center in Missouri; they lost (someone at a rural Alaska post office, per my best guess, stole) a one-off white gold and diamond engagement band that had belonged to my grandmother, and the matching white gold watch.

-After- the theft (which I learned the hard way should have been sent registered, not certified) the USPS insurance center told me to prove the value.. of a lost, antique, one-off gold band with LARGE diamond, and the gold watch.

In the end, in that case, they sent a check for $300 or $350 to me, which I then converted and sent to my Aunt, to whom the package had been addressed.

That package was likely worth at least $3,500 at that time.

I told the insurance center staff that they were among the ONLY insurance centers in the Country that would sell an insurance policy for a specific value, then when the item came up lost or stolen, demand proof of value before honoring the insurance policy.

Visions of violence? Ooooohhhh yeah..

Thieves... all the way around..

M

moose eater

Other than for a fair bit of shoe leather, numb fingers from phone dialing and computer key-boarding, over-spent frustration, anxiety, and anger, the mystery was resolved.... to a limited but satisfactory degree.

Data relative to the box in question was entered on Saturday, before noon, as the delivery site being 'inaccessible.' Indeed, it was; my wife's office is closed on Saturdays, but for early morning hours for existing clients, and maybe, MAYBE, some staff coming in to play catch-up.

The regular USPS route carrier would've known that, so I'm not sure who the carrier was.

But, as stated, before noon, the package was deemed undeliverable due to the building being 'inaccessible.'

Within a minute of that electronic declaration in the tracking sequence (which they didn't share with me via my tracking info (I had to contact an acquaintance in the P.O. to get THAT bit of info), the package was then determined to have been 'delivered to an individual at the address'; within a MINUTE of the digital entry stating the thing couldn't be delivered. <Background sound effects of Scooby Doo muttering, "Huh??!!">

Most have heard of 'butt-dialing' with cell phones? Now I can attest to there apparently being a circumstance which I will from now on refer to as 'butt-tracking' and 'butt-data entry'.

Today, the package appeared at 1:25 P.M. at my wife's office, delivered by the regular carrier, as though nothing had happened.

No matter how thorough folks are in their electronic efforts to make life less burdensome, the systems in place are only as fool-proof or as solid as the humans who interact with them, or program them.

On the bright side, I might be waiting another 3 or 4 weeks to let the folks at the other end know what happened, if we were still relying on the Pony Express. And they had horses die on them on occasion, or riders get robbed and killed, or quit, or... So their system wasn't quite perfected yet, either.

"It's always SUMPTHIN'!!!" (Rosanna Rosanna Danna-SNL)

A

anoydas 666

send me an apple pie please moose, those pumpkin's would be to watery or not?

M

moose eater

I could freeze one and send it air express to Oz, but the freight on such a critter might be close to a couple hundred dollars, in my estimation.

In all seriousness 6, though without really knowing (so just guessing), I'd think that the giant pumpkins end up being destroyed. But, as stated, I don't really know that.

We've been making our apple pies at our home, over the last decade or so, with a combination of sweet and tart apples (staying away from those that are so heavy in water as to shrink too much), with the pie typically sweetened primarily with maple syrup, which my wife renders down in a sauce pan under low heat, into a thicker sap, so it doesn't add as much liquid, adding, sometimes, just a touch of honey.

My favorite apple pie she makes is one that combines the sweet and tart apples of various sorts, then a bit of sour cream, chopped walnuts, butter, the syrup and honey combination, sufficient amount of whole grain pastry flour for thickening the mixture, just a smidgeon of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, & a minor touch of pure vanilla extract.

That's all encased in a nice flakey pie crust that has just a -bit- of cider vinegar in it, the recipe for which was given to me by a now-deceased friend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, many years ago.

That pie crust recipe went back generations, and was known as 'Aunt Irene's pie crust' (still labeled that way in our recipe box, though no clue what-so-ever as to who Aunt Irene was), and was primarily used by the folks I received it from to make Cornish pasties (**An enclosed crusted meat pie made from a folded pie crust stuffed with ~1/2 cup cubed potatoes, 3/8 cup lean ground meat <we typically use moose>, 3 TBSP finely chopped carrots, 3 TBSP chopped sweet onion, and 3 TBSP finely cubed rutabaga, as well as a touch of salt & pepper. The Cornish miners in the old copper mines of the Upper Peninsula, used to take the pasties underground with them; lunch for LONG days of hard work, over 100 years ago. There's still pastie shops/cafe's/stands all along many rural highways in the UP).

A

anoydas 666

pretty hard to find a decent pastie down here these days, 10feet of pastry to get through to a lil bit o carrot.

M

moose eater

Yep, I ended up slightly increasing the amount of meat, carrot, rutabaga, and onion, as well as pepper, per each pie, as the original recipe for our pasties was a bit too much carb & bland, between the spuds and the dough.

We use about an 8 inch round of dough, rolled fairly thin (but stout enough to remain sturdy for transport in a lunch), then folded in half around the filling, and baked at 350 f. for about an hour, maybe a few minutes less.

And I suspect the Cornish miners went with what ever meat was handy and relatively lean; most likely, in that country, it was venison more often than prime beef ground sirloin..

Had some 25-30 years ago that were commercially made, not traditional, but very tasty, done with angus beef and mushrooms added.

M

moose eater

Probably be a lot easier to split with an arrow, too. Or at least -hit- with an arrow..

Wasn't that a William Tell story?

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Labour Day - Thank an older union person for your 40 hr work week, paid holidays, benefits & all the other stuff that the current crop of RWNJ politician/businessmen want to TAKE away. Those union men/women got their bones broken so we could have better lives.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Labour Day - Thank an older union person for your 40 hr work week, paid holidays, benefits & all the other stuff that the current crop of RWNJ politician/businessmen want to TAKE away. Those union men/women got their bones broken so we could have better lives.

too true, OT! i'm out of rep, will return...

M

moose eater

Making 4+ batches of humus today; boiled a bunch of rams horns/garbanzos/chic peas last night. Adding the amendments to my usual modified home-made recipe, to include mixing the lemon juice 50:50 with lime juice, extra garlic, extra peppers, and a touch of extra tahini.

What won't be the same (other than for running low on decent parsley; an oxymoron, maybe, 'decent parsley'?) is my attempt to do at least 3 different regimens of hot peppers. The recipe normally includes my version of a Mexican or Asian cayenne pepper, long, dry, red and HOT.

Instead, today, I'll do one batch with the regular dried smaller red peppers, one with fresh Serrano peppers, and at least 1 batch 50:50, with the dried red peppers and Serrano peppers..

Decided to get back to being more healthy in our diet; more organic foods (trying to minimize glyphosate in our diets), fewer infractions re. non-whole grains, which we were already doing pretty good with, fewer 'other sugars' such as dextrose, maltodextrin, etc., and the big killer, especially where good food is concerned; proportionality.. Don't let the eyes get bigger than a healthy belly wants to take in.

Make lots of humus, freeze it in older yogurt or sour cream containers, and use it for dipping veggies, whole grain crackers, as a mayonnaise/mustard substitute on sandwiches, etc.

Then off to cut more of the spruce we're thinning on the lower end of the property, and kill more of the aspen/balsam poplar that I've been eradicating here for 21 years.

Never an end to work in the hills and trees.

M

moose eater

Turned into 5 double batches; 10 single batches. Had to wait for parsley. No dried mint in the bulk bins at the store... Bastards!!

Got over a 1/2 cord in 4 ft. lengths hauled up to lay across the drying runners, though during the labor, I managed to drop the top 1/3 of a medium large white spruce onto my head. It bounced off, no lacerations.

I'm too old for that shit. Not to mention the humility of having worked in the woods for the number of years I did, to do that in front of my younger son.

Sometimes humility is a good thing.. as long as it doesn't lead to hefty amounts of analgesics.

Controlled falling helps; one of the key take-aways from martial arts as a youngster. For what ever else we learned or didn't, learning how to fall in such a way as to not harm yourself further was a great piece of knowledge and reflex.

Time for some Ghost Train Haze #1.

I cut a nice top of a smaller cola of the Greenhouse Super Lemon Haze today. She was whispering to me that we should get together soon, so I obliged her. She looks quite nice, and -very- crusty in trichs, but she won't be ready for a sample doobie for another week or so, even with a relatively fast dry & 'insta-cure.'. By then, I'll be trimming the rest of her.

We'll see how badly I can injure myself between now and then.... There's still D1 road-mix to haul for further patch work in the driveway and parking area, as well as against the south side of the house, the remainder of the right-of-way on my south property line, to clear the dense forest of young aspen, alder, and baby spruce trees, and the wood-cutting in the bowl on the lower end of the hill we worked on earlier today.

If I were wealthy, I'd hire Sherpa's... I guess I could always go down to the State Job Service office, to the folks in their waiting area, with the depressed, hollow eyes, waiting for job offers unlikely to come, and tell them that for 2-3 hours work each, I can hook them up with some grilled moose burgers, decent craft beer, and some good doobies.... Maybe a Jackson or a Grant on top of that.

Hmmm...

dddaver

Veteran
I certainly can relate. I've spent days in bed on the heating pad. I know you realize there's a fine line between moving, limbering up, and doing too much and making it worse. There is nothing really anyone can say with any good advice, or anything really. I'm sure you've heard it all already anyway. Rest and recuperate my dude. Do what you need, no hurry, and we'll see you soon.