What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TORCH SUGGESTIONS?

NWxSk1LLZ

Up until recently I was "that guy" still using a propane tank with a torch head and some pliers to heat up my nails. I'm finally ready to make the jump to butane for something a little more compact and easy to work with. Any suggestions?

prune

Veteran
I've been through quite a few of the cheap consumer (i.e. BBB creme brûlée torch) and most of them seem to share the same manufacturer with subtle changes for different retailers. Some are taller, others wider, black, silver - all mostly trifling differences.

Out of all those clones, the best one i found was this model:

http://www.butanetorchshop.com/messermeister-ft-912-cheflamme-culinary-torch/

Besides it's lower profile and better balance, it seems to have the widest gas orifice, biggest flame and fastest heating rates. That said, they all are cheaply made and usually don't last more than a few months and then you get to experience failure mode, which usually involves unexpected flames and tightened taint.

NWxSk1LLZ

I've been through quite a few of the cheap consumer (i.e. BBB creme brûlée torch) and most of them seem to share the same manufacturer with subtle changes for different retailers. Some are taller, others wider, black, silver - all mostly trifling differences.

Out of all those clones, the best one i found was this model:

http://www.butanetorchshop.com/messermeister-ft-912-cheflamme-culinary-torch/

Besides it's lower profile and better balance, it seems to have the widest gas orifice, biggest flame and fastest heating rates. That said, they all are cheaply made and usually don't last more than a few months and then you get to experience failure mode, which usually involves unexpected flames and tightened taint.

shit man, that last part makes me want to go buy another propane tank and torch head ha! appreciate the feedback for sure.