What's new

Top Shelf Smoke BUT Low On Yield - Do You Keep Them?

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
I have to have all 3. I want the high yields and need the potency. I dont care what the plant is and could care less about a name. Me and my friends are heavy smokers so weak stuff gets you talked about for months around here! The $$ is important too cause electricity doesnt grow on trees like my buds and nutes are crazy exp too. I gots to recoop that money or the misses aint goin for a whole room in her house being tied up in a money pit kinda hobby/pastime. Plus this is Cali and if you dont bring the fire your shit will sit on the shelf like canned food.

the Rock

Do you keep strains around simply due to the cut's name even if it doesn't yield all that well?

I recently culled a few moms of mine simply due to the yield. Now I could have bred them out to higher yielding males and played around with that BUT with so many clones at my disposal here in california I seem to want BOTH yield and quality and can't justify having an amazing high end strain that can't produce for shit.

Any thoughts?

Would you keep shitty yielders that had amazing smoke even though there are equal quality strains out there with much larger yields?

Reason I ask is because I ran a few of my higher end (smoke quality/bag appeal) producing strains and when I saw the yield of those ones it just didn't seem worth it to me in the end.

I would rather have A quality bud all year around than to have A+ quality bud if it yields enough to supply myself.

Is a strains name or legend reason enough to keep a shitty yielding cut? If it is so elite or legendary wouldn't you think it would yield amazing as well? Seems like the breeder found a quality phenotype but didn't work it long enough to get quality + yield out of it.

this hash makes me a ramblin man

f no

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you keep strains around simply due to the cut's name even if it doesn't yield all that well?

I recently culled a few moms of mine simply due to the yield. Now I could have bred them out to higher yielding males and played around with that BUT with so many clones at my disposal here in california I seem to want BOTH yield and quality and can't justify having an amazing high end strain that can't produce for shit.

Any thoughts?

Would you keep shitty yielders that had amazing smoke even though there are equal quality strains out there with much larger yields?

Reason I ask is because I ran a few of my higher end (smoke quality/bag appeal) producing strains and when I saw the yield of those ones it just didn't seem worth it to me in the end.

I would rather have A quality bud all year around than to have A+ quality bud if it yields enough to supply myself.

Is a strains name or legend reason enough to keep a shitty yielding cut? If it is so elite or legendary wouldn't you think it would yield amazing as well? Seems like the breeder found a quality phenotype but didn't work it long enough to get quality + yield out of it.

this hash makes me a ramblin man

Far better to have A+ flowers, you need less per dose, therefore you need grow less, invariably, ime the best quality have 'no ceiling' highs that again mean you need less of as you don't build a tolerance as quickly, if at all?

However, there are plenty of A+ strains with huge yielding pheno's , mostly Haze hybrids though, if you are talking about Indica dom strains you will never match the quality.
But as I say, plenty of A+ quality smokes will match your Indica type yield.
And no, of course you shouldn't keep a strain just for the name.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
some interesting points of view so far-
i'm agreeing with Rainman-ATM yield is definatly important to me and there are so many high potency strains out there that yield reasonably well i've got to grow them. Plus-it is very subjective. A friend of mine grows one of the notoriously low yielding 'elite' cuts from America (not saying what because i don't want to start a strain war). I think that it's ok-distinctive taste-i could take it or leave it. He thinks that it wonderful but that may have something to do with the fact that he paid top dollar for them in the first place.

eddieS

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Hmm, there are some really good yielding plant that I would consider Top shelf.
But yes I keep them I like variation!

C

Chamba

if it's the only plant i've got that results in me walking thru a local mall wearing slippers and a bathrobe, wondering where i left my bedroom...then i keep that plant.

lol