What's new

Top Shelf Smoke BUT Low On Yield - Do You Keep Them?

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Good points ISP! Dial it in and then if it still doesnt do it for you, kick her out! I just culled about 15 elite moms for that reason exactly. In Cali there are too many to be bored or if you dont want to play with seeds you can grow your whole life and not need a seed. I do shoot for the minimum 3-4 zips per plant in my setup and if a plant cant hang then she starts getting looked at funny. Funny thing is alot of so called low yielding are good yielders if you can get them dialed in. Good luck!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
great responses and man that hash must have been kickin my ass LOL

Just read over it and I think I was saying the higher yielder over quality because I was sitting there smoking some bad ass hash with ZERO bud on hand LOL.

got to love it but I do agree, quality over quantity unless you are out and high at the same time lol.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
average weed does not really do much
I'd personally have top notch smoke, it keeps you higher much longer and is worth the enjoyment
anything average gets made into BHO and still would prefer to make it out of the best

250wscrogger

I used to love bubba back when I ran a 400 cab for smoke but now that I make my living growing, I'm all done with those type of strains...Why run a 1lb/light strain when you can get paid the same for a 2lb/light strain? There are plenty of strains that yield well and still produce top quality product. :tiphat:
Just my opinion, I know I'm gunna get flamed by countless cab growers who grow exclusively for headsmoke. If you wanna grow the low yielders like bubba ect... just keep it for yourself/friends and don't sell any because a lb of that is worth WAY more than you will ever get. :laughing:

Hey 250wscrogger, let me be the 1st to not flame ya. Nothing wrong with growing strains that produce more weight, it's a personal thing, and you're the only person you really have to please. To each is his, or her own.

Four of my 17 girls in flowering right now are low yielding ultra potent clones. One yields about 20% less than the weight strain and the other three yield only half the weight strain. Last year I lost all my strains do to a apt fire. It took almost a year to get the head stash strains back. Smoking weight strains gets old fast. Variety is the...

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
6 months ago I would have said no, it has been hard to transition form a cash cropper point of view to a caregiver that cares point of view. Its all about the medicine now, yeild is nice but is just a bonus.

K

kannubis

haven't got to the point yet where all I grow is figgered out for yield or potency
I am still throwing in new strains and the old ones from seed and the crosses I'm working on, so I'd have to say keep em, but in seed form

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
So if $$$ is the focus you want yield (duh) and if the high is the focus you don't care about the yield. Got it.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
I honest think it's how passionate you are about marijuana and its psychoactive properties....If you're in it just for the money then of course yield is #1 then high, but if you truly love smoking and growing marijuana, like myself, I believe #1-High/Stone/smoking experience and #2 Yield...like everyone has said yield is nice but not most important.

peace
Chefboy

superjoint

...and the best usually comes from smaller plants w/ small buds..yield equals nada almost zero...talk about proud and breeding potential ;)

i hear ya raco... i refuse to ever let my lil Purple indica go .they would have to rip it from my dead hands ..its lil but once you know the plant you can get them to kick out fat yields with a lil training ..the small plants tend to have magicall the others miss

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if there is something unique (among the other plants i have access to) about them, absolutely.

i lack the right stoner vocab to accurately describe what aspects of a stone i'm talking about, but if i get at least similar top shelfish effects off a plant that yields better, clones better, veg's better, etc...i'll go with the plant that grows better.

if it's the only plant i've got that results in me walking thru a local mall wearing slippers and a bathrobe, wondering where i left my bedroom...then i keep that plant.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Maybe I am just greedy (smoke to much), my reasoning is not for cash reasons and only for my personal smoke and fellow patients around me. I guess what I am realizing is that if I want those clone only potent strains to yield I need to start outcrossing them and coming up with higher yielding versions all my own.

I want the best of both worlds like most.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Am I the only person here who wants a low yielding, low potency strain?
ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº :laughing:ºººººººº:laughing:ººººººººººººº

superjoint

Yes crossing them is always good. they seem to keep what i like and then some ...and the new smells and taste are all worth the work..

Grendelkhan

I would agree with many of the others here in that quality is number one in my books. I also have cleared out the mother room more than once. I am finally making beans like many here have suggested and couldn't be happier.Great to see from all the great growers posting in this thread that I am not the only one who has these habits.