What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too late in season or cold for good buds?

Shukriya1

This NL started flowering late August and appear to be at about 4 weeks into flowering. I have them in a greenhouse. Outside temps are high 70F and lows 38F. Live in northeast usa. No frost yet. I figure I have a month to go but how much more will they develop? They are in smart pots. Here is a couple of pics.

Any suggestions to insure a successful and bountiful harvest?

Attachments

• tmp_16557-20160923_1157001128799352.jpg
    tmp_16557-20160923_1157001128799352.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8

Shukriya1

This my first post so let me know is you would like more info to help you help me. This is two plants in a scrog Northern Lights reg seeds from peak seeds bc. Using gen hydro nutes with supplements. Was using lucas formula for a week in early august but the lack of N led to lower leaves yellowing, so i switched back to GH recipe. I have been pretty happy with these babies but the night time temps are in the 30s and worrying me. I guess i just need some encouragemnet.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should be ok....having your NL protected a greenhouse is an added plus. Looks great!

Seedlings are more susceptible to colder temps. And Northern Lights can withstand cooler temps just by it's genes.

Maybe get a few inexpensive heating pads or heat mat to wrap around if you are concerned. Or DIY wall o' water....2 liter jugs of water wrapped around containers. If gh isn't visible....back in the day we used camping lanterns for both heat and CO2.

As long as it doesn't get down to 25F or lower, you should see your crop through fruition.

coldcanna

Veteran
Hey man, if they're under plastic everything is up to you. Is that a spaceheater next to it? I know temps in the GH are usually 10 degrees warmer than outside so you wouldn't have to worry about it being freezing inside for prob another month beyond when there's frost outside, just as long as the GH is decently sealed up. You can consider adding natural heat sinks such as large rocks or big trash cans full of water, they will absorb suns rays all day and slowly give off heat at night, and of course you can always add a space heater. This all begs the question though... thats a relatively small plant in a container so what's stopping you from bringing it inside?

Shukriya1

Home is not allowed due to wife. But in a pinch, I may be able to use my friends basement with some CFLs on a timer. I will look into it as a possibility.

Thanks for the wonderful ideas on rocks, water, and lanterns. I was thinks of sealing it ip tighter and using bales of straw around the bottom. Also theee might be some battery operated heating options.

The thing next to it is an stealth grow project Im hiding until I can use it again.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shukriya1 - you'll find out a way!

As long as it's dry inside, plants are rather resilient and can withstand cooler temps. They have a hefty root system (KUDOS on job well done!), so I'll bet you can squeeze 3+ weeks more. It's all a learning curve. Buttoning up the gh will help, sealing off extra drafty areas. BLACK barrels filled with water hold in heat quite a while.

Lrus007

Veteran
get a turkey burner and a propane tank.
on low flame tank will last 5-7 days.
would be 10-14 if used only at night.
is not bright enough to mess with the budding.
good luck Lrus007

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I don't know why you could not add a touch a supplemental heat in the colder times. I hear that cannabis (strain dependent) goes into dormancy when too cold.

Shukriya1

"get a turkey burner and a propane tank.
on low flame tank will last 5-7 days."

This is a super idea! I also like the battery idea, but I am uncertain if the battery would last more than a day for a bit more money than a propane tank = Propane wins.

I am going to use a bunch of the ideas gotten here together:
1) Turkey burner with softball sized rocks surrounding the center not directly over flame to avoid possibility of exploding rocks (that's a fun story I don't need to tell).
2) 4 Black 5 gallon buckets of water with Black covers.
3) Seal up GH at the base, duct tape most of vents and holes in roof, but no easily flammable material (no straw).

Thank you all for the positive ideas. I hope to put a Grow Journal together soon, just afraid I will jinx myself. :)

Shukriya1

they look like they need more than 4 weeks

Don't they though! Imagine how beautiful they will be in 4 weeks or more. This gives me lots of motivation to force 12/12 early next year (July 21st) and to choose a slightly better strain for my environment (Texada/NL) from PeakseedsBC.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The burner, water & rocks should add a significant amout of heat to your lil tent.
You may consider adding these items progressively so as to not overheat your tent.
Also, if your running a propane burner you could end up dealing with excessive moisture.

Latest posts

Latest posts