What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

Kikeritz

Hah, I can see i'm not alone with my passion :) I grow few of these plants, nothing special, just dried seeds taked out of bought tomato.
I'm always happy when i see my plants :) It's amazing how little seed can grow so big...
Bye :tiphat:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
DWC inna sunshine.

DWC inna sunshine.

[
They are getting watered with my recirculating reservoirs waste water, so im sure that is helping things too, but not losing any lower branches (and they greened up after spraying) seems to be an indicator to me.

Howdy Shroom,
I want to start using my runoff from my coco DTW on my 7 Costoluto Fiorentino plants. I'm curious what medium yours are in. I've got mine in organic soilless and I'm not sure how they'd respond to Canna Coco nutrients... Might just try it on one and see how it goes. Peace.[/quote]

Howzit Dramamine, et al?:tiphat:

Dunno 'bout coco, but they are quite happy with Dyna-grow/bloom hydro nutes.
That, and a 5 gal. bucket of water, airstone, sunshine, and an occasional kind word has these "better boys" in fine fettle.

Tom dwc bb.jpg
Yah?:)

Aloha, y'all

Weeze.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Those look great, Weez! :tiphat:

I'm a little late to the game this season, mine are 10" tall and my bed has been raided for soil and is unusable... it's been a late spring here, at least, so I haven't really missed much. I hope to get the bed filled and the plants in the ground sometime in the next week. I'm not doing any new varieties this year, just sticking with my favorites from the past 2 seasons. The Cherokee Greens and Orlov Yellows are leading the charge... who needs red tomatoes?

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
im running brandywine, roma, cherokee purple, and beefsteak......with sweet 100s, "yellow pear," and "black cherry" for my cherry tomatoes.
im most excited for the cherokee purple. ive heard great things about them....but havent run them until now. where im at, the beefsteak, rutgers, and brandywine are the most popular, and are the main varieties for sale as starters.

they are all doing well, with the exception of the "black cherry" cherry tomatoes. very slow growers, and the wildlife seem to like them, too. the first bunch i planted were eaten to the main stem within 3 days. i got lucky and kept a few spare black cherries on standby in case such an even occurred. ive got two going now, but, they are very slow growers. hopefully they are just slow starters and they take off soon.

also going are cukes (slicing), squash(summer/yellow), eggplant(black beauty), strawberries (everbearing), beans (blue lake bush), lemon basil, cilantro, mint, etc etc etc....

ill post up some pics later if yall are interested.....

-cap

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
rockin san marzano, better boy, garden peach, celebrity, s 100's myself.. lookin forward to the garden peach and the pastes really.

ronbo51

Veteran
Mid Atlantic 2000 feet in the Blue Ridge here. Harvested my first maters yesterday even though its just now getting hot. It's a determinate variety called Glacier. Comes via Canadian breeding. Takes cold and crappy conditions with a smile. Not the ultimate fruit by any stretch but great for early crop while the long season indeterminates climb their poles and set a crop. Started March 15 under 250 HPS. I already have peppers too. It's a variety called Antohi Romanian. Mid sized tapered fruits mature orange, red and yellow. Quite striking and sweet with good flavor. Both available from Fedco. Good source for early or northern varieties. Blight is already in the air so I am spraying liquid copper because I always have blight and it pisses me off. Good luck.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
I got champion, lemon boy, brandywine, early girl, sweet cherry, black cherry

does anyone have a norpro sauce master strainer? is there a better option?

L

lloy

I grow early girl, lemon boy, big boy, big beef, beefsteak, beef master, patio, roma, sweet 100, sweet million, and brandywine. you should see the phenotypes that come with 1000's of each. I have 2 early girls that have absolutely no seration on the leaves they look like pepper plants, also a patio that has the most unique leaf pattern.

T

TurboFish

im growing tomatoes from seed I ordered off of tomatofest.com. Im running all heirlooms, armana orange, suduths strain brandywine, red brandy wine, old elmers german , purple cherry tomatoes and one more I cant think of. I picked up a pack of the red brandywine at home depot and it is an insane tomato plant. IT had a stem as thick as my thumb at 8 inches tall. it has outgrown all other tomato plants in my garden and has flowers the size of dandylions. growing heirloom tomatoes with organic fert is the only way to go in my opinion, so you can get the full taste of the heirloom. otherwise just grow hybirds hehehehe.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
i've caged my indeterminate varieties so they dont snap themselves and have structure to groove on. Haven't pruned at all but interested in the care for sure.

grapeman

Veteran
I'm in So. Cal, and we have a tomato growing contest each year, judged at the cigar shop.

for the competition this year, we brought in the Delicious variety. Ordered the plants from Michigan. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this variety?

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I'm growing cherry toms in the backyard :) Don't remember the strains, but i picked the cuts from tasty moms, so i don't really care :)
Organic soil, feeding with biobizz grow & bloom, topmax till the bottle runs out :)

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
I'm in So. Cal, and we have a tomato growing contest each year, judged at the cigar shop.

for the competition this year, we brought in the Delicious variety. Ordered the plants from Michigan. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this variety?

i went to a tomato contest over the weekend...
categories were weight and best quality.

1st place in weight was kellogs breakfast
2nd was delicious

1st place in quality was sweet 100 cherry tomato
2nd was celebrity i think.. or maybe delicious

i got 3rd in quality out of 25 entrants. prizes only for 1st and 2nd, so i was 1st place loser
IMG_3856.jpg

(i entered the one on the left)

im just happy i had something to enter... lots of my other tomatoes ended up like this
IMG_3791.jpg

damn mockingbirds!!

just started my hybrid tomato seeds for fall planting... sunmaster, solar fire and solar set

Last edited: