What's new

Tomato growers?

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Yeah they must be them.
It says their are old Russian and maybe they come here during the communism years.
Love them !
If you haven`t you should try them :artist:

Growing tomatoes is what I look forward to all winter. I usually start seeds around the middle of January. I like Cherokee Purple (sweet and juicey), Aunt Jenny's (beefsteak), and Rutgers (for canning). I grew up on a small farm and I learned a lot about gardening from my Dad and Grandfather. Growing heirlooms isn't easy. They are more likely to get bloom end rot and its a lot harder to keep bugs out and they don't yeild very much but the end result makes it worth all the trouble.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
are you ordering seeds in Jan, or saving your seeds? I keep telling myself every year that im going to start tomatoes indoors in Jan, so as to have a huge plant ready to take outside as soon as frost is no longer a threat. But then comes Jan, and i dont have the varieties i want.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Hey-o tomato growers! I hope you're all having a good season - it should be in full swing by now, eh?

Here's a shot I took yesterday after picking the day's worth of ripe fruits. It's not been quite as perfect this year as last, but all that means is I've had to water a few times. The plants seem to have taken it in stride, and this speaks for itself:

(Varieties in the bowl, clockwise from the purple ones: Tim's Black Ruffles, Orlov Yellow Giant, Dagma's Perfection (freebies!), Cherokee Green, Brandywine, and an Italian heirloom red tucked down there at the bottom.)

Burt

Veteran
thats beautiful-the flavor of heirlooms is magnificent-especially ugly german herilooms they seem to have less acid content to boot

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
strainbrain-what a great harvest you've got there. I'm having a terrible season:frown: I'm getting ready for the indoor winter run. Any suggestions for indoor flood & drain setup, under 1000w dual tube?

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear that, dub. I wish I could help you with an indoor run, but I've never done tomatoes indoors, or hydro in any capacity.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Anyone try foliar feeding micronutrients to tomatoes? Specifically Zn Mn & Fe? Ive seen a few posts about it over at gardenweb.

Ive used Calcium Chloride and Calcium Nitrate as foliar to prevent and end blossom end rot.

Ive been spraying my Tami-G cherry tomato, in a 7Gal smart pot with a mixture of kelp and awesome blossoms, which is a 2-11-11, but also has Fe, B, Cu, Mn, Mo, and Zn. Im getting clusters almost like the pictures, with a couple 20-30 fruit clusters, and the bottom branches are still in pretty good shape (they normally have shriveled or fallen off by now).

They are getting watered with my recirculating reservoirs waste water, so im sure that is helping things too, but not losing any lower branches (and they greened up after spraying) seems to be an indicator to me.

Hey Tomato growers. :wave:
I run some strains from tomatofest this years.
Check pics in my thread here if you are interest:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=182975

picture.php

Black Krim - in the middle
Blondkopfchen - small yellow
Slava - red

Buddle

Veteran
Hey Buddle, I live in the northern Sacramento Valley. Sounds like you are into your tomatos! Cool. Well, I actually have a mixed bag of results so far this year because I planted half my tomatos early and they just sat there doing nothing but those early ones took a huge set once they got going. It stayed cool abnormally long and now we have heat. Anywhow the second group is practically barren and have only set a few fruit on each at this point.

You're are so right those sweet 100s are so dang good. They are my fav cherry. I also freeze tomatoes. I like to cut them in half, salt, pepper, olive oil, herbs.. then roast em down about half way dry and freeeze em in sandwich bags. They are good for so many dishes. Works great.

:rasta:

Hey Smoke,
Yup we love our matoes :) We're hip deep in them now.They came early for us this year.I have a problem with my tops splitting some.Wonder if itssimilar to blossom end rot and is a calcium thing?I use cow manure for my garden.A couple years ago I had a 6 month period where I couldn't get decent shavings and used sawdust to bed my cow barn.It is effecting my garden.I believe the sawdust holds the N and is throwing things off even after yr+.Iguess limeis in order? great thread..BL

Buddle

Veteran
Strainbrain...are those Black Krim tomatoes in the pic? I am growing some and they look familiar.I am also having great results with Trip L Crop.I think my husband sent away to Burpees for the beans? I like to use Johnny's formostmyveggieseeds..peaceall.Love the thread.I'm going to apply what I've learned from you all next spring.

THC123

Veteran
i love tomatoes but i hate growing them

they always get sick and full of pests and infect the rest of the garden :'(

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I'm getting my room setup today for the fall/winter run. Thanks to S13, I'm going to get some of these russians and see what we can do. The medium is perlite/vermiculite/hydroton, feeding gh 3part w/ liquid karma, drain to waste 4'x4' table. We're using a 1000w dual arc light on a 16/8 schedule. The table is to hold 4 tomatoes and 6 sweet basil plants. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that would help out.

D

dramamine

[
They are getting watered with my recirculating reservoirs waste water, so im sure that is helping things too, but not losing any lower branches (and they greened up after spraying) seems to be an indicator to me.[/quote]

Howdy Shroom,
I want to start using my runoff from my coco DTW on my 7 Costoluto Fiorentino plants. I'm curious what medium yours are in. I've got mine in organic soilless and I'm not sure how they'd respond to Canna Coco nutrients... Might just try it on one and see how it goes. Peace.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...inating-tomato-plants-fruit-times-larger.html

article said:
Urinating on your tomato plants could give you fruit four times larger

Gardeners keen to boost their crop of tomatoes may be surprised to learn they can turn to an unusual and free source of fertiliser.

Allotment growers can enrich the soil and therefore their plants using their own wee, according to a new study.

Scientists discovered the unusual addition made crops up to four times larger.

A team of Finnish researchers found that sprinkling tomatoes with human urine mixed with wood ash was the ultimate eco-friendly fertiliser.

It worked just as well with cucumber, corn, cabbage and other crops.

Although scientists have previously tested urine on plants, this is the first one to mix it with wood ash.

The mixture produced bumper harvests when compared to untreated plants.

It could one day be substituted for costly synthetic fertilisers.

The university study, published in this month's Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, found using nitrogen-rich urine does not carry any risk of disease.

When combined with wood ash is perfect to provide minerals and reduce the acidity of soil.

Report author Surenda Pradhen said the findings could lead to a new source of cheap fertiliser without the need to use potentially dangerous chemicals.

'The results suggest that urine with or without wood ash can be used as a substitute for mineral fertiliser to increase the yields of tomato without posing any microbial or chemical risks,' she concluded.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
s13-very interesting...imagine what could become. any idea what kind of wood ash (or is that indicated in the article in the link?) thanks for posting

I've got a question...I'm growing the 'maters this season with two different methods...first is in soil w/ a soaker hose buried 6" below the soil line...they are watered this way when needed. The soil is soil from a nearby river bottom. The second batch of plants are in hay bales. Two per bale...the bales were soaked for two weeks and the plants were transplanted once the center of the bales were warm. All the plants were started in October 2010, inside under 1kw dual arc bulb. They were all planted in 5gal hempy buckets. In January they were all moved into a greenhouse and kept in the buckets. While in the greenhouse, they began to fruit. A quarter of the flowers were kept. In April, all plants were moved outdoors. Half were put into the dirt and the other half were put in hay bales. So far, all of the toms in soil are producing well and getting huge. Half of the toms are doing well in the haybales and half are not. I've got 2 in each bale and so far one plant in each bale is doing well with the other looking weak. If I increased the feed (floramato @ 1tsp/gal +1tsp/epsom salt) to 2tsp/gal, could it burn the tomato doing well in the hay bale?