What's new

Told gun seller Im a card holder, big mistake?

lemonbud

Hey guys! The other day I went into Big 5 to buy my first gun. I was filling out the form when I came accross the "unlawful user of marijuana" question. I stopped and asked the guy helping me that Im a card holder and if that would bring up any complications. I hadn't looked into it before. He said he didnt know but suggested that I stopped filling it out and look into it before I continued. I didnt finish filling it out and I started to look into it. Found out that if the seller thinks the buyer is a user or card holder, they would deny me. And if they found out that I had a card, and completed the form, they could get me for perjury. So now Im worried that he put my name on a nation wide list because he did keep the form with my name and address on it. And if i try to buy it again, they would get me. I really want to get a gun but maybe im just over thinking this. Just want your guys thoughts...

Thanks!

I, personally, do NOT know the law on this subject....but my neighbor is a MMJ card-holder AND has two CCW permits,for two different pistols. I have heard this is not allowed, also. But it has happened. May well be state or county specific. Might be worth a brief visit with your local sheriff.

You'd best buy a firearm privately, that is from a non-dealer. The ATF and DOJ has stated back in early 2011 I think that card holders cannot own or possess firearms or ammo, nor can they sell either.
I believe this came about because so many gun dealers were calling the DOJ asking this exact question.
Here is a quote
"ATF Assistant Director Arthur Herbert, indicated the federal law that makes it illegal for someone to possess a gun if they use illegal substances includes users of medicinal marijuana."
Pretty messed up.
Depending on what state you are in you can easily find a private seller if you wish to buy a firearm.
It's LEGAL to buy a firearm from a private non-dealer seller. They consider it a loophole, I consider it a right.
Here is a good site to find a private sale.

http://www.armslist.com/

I, personally, do NOT know the law on this subject....but my neighbor is a MMJ card-holder AND has two CCW permits,for two different pistols. I have heard this is not allowed, also. But it has happened. May well be state or county specific. Might be worth a brief visit with your local sheriff.

It's federal law unfortunately.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never tell anyone what you do period. even if you think you are legal keep it to yourself. Cannabis is a federally illegal drug..

Anyone that uses cannabis is prohibited from purchasing guns. There are many of us that own guns. When I purchased mine I was not smoking at that time. Now i'm a criminal because I use cannabis and own 3 guns..

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
NEVER EVER perjure yourself!

dont let anyone on the internet convince you to do so.

federal prison awaits

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO there is no way they can prove that. Like I posted above at the time I purchased the guns I was not using cannabis. Now Iam so I did not lie on the form at the time.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never tell anyone what you do period. even if you think you are legal keep it to yourself. Cannabis is a federally illegal drug..

I try and get this across to everyone I know. With damn near a generation of people in California thinking that mmj is "legal", it is no wonder that most of the younger people aren't too discrete. My girlfriend is constantly telling me about growers at the yoga studio swapping information and bullshitting about their crops. Scares the beejeesus out of me.

G

greenmatter

if the fucking feds are going to start taking people to court for perjury they will be busy in washington for years before they get to the first stoner

HUGE

Veteran
There is a huge like 50 page thread about this very subject somewhere in this forum.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Soon the UN will step in and try to take our guns under the pretense of keeping peace. Buy your guns now, while you still can.

With that said, never, ever ever ever, keep guns or ammo at a grow sight period. If you are a hunter, keep it at your cabin and never store cannabis at said cabin. Guns and cannabis do not mix, period.

supermanlives

Veteran
never mention mj . fuck em i got some old and unregistered hidden away safely. when i need a new one i go to nevada or arizona

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys! The other day I went into Big 5 to buy my first gun. I was filling out the form when I came accross the "unlawful user of marijuana" question. I stopped and asked the guy helping me that Im a card holder and if that would bring up any complications. I hadn't looked into it before. He said he didnt know but suggested that I stopped filling it out and look into it before I continued. I didnt finish filling it out and I started to look into it. Found out that if the seller thinks the buyer is a user or card holder, they would deny me. And if they found out that I had a card, and completed the form, they could get me for perjury. So now Im worried that he put my name on a nation wide list because he did keep the form with my name and address on it. And if i try to buy it again, they would get me. I really want to get a gun but maybe im just over thinking this. Just want your guys thoughts...

Thanks!

this policy is a second amendment violation. there is NO federal policy that can legally prevent you from owning, or buying a gun. You contact the ACLU and let them know of this blatant civil rights violation. They make take this case on pro bono. This is the kind of case that can make you a national hero remembered for 200 plus years after your gone. You could set a supreme court precedent

Only being a convicted felon can stop you from having gun ownership. This policy is so offensive it makes me want to start a civil war.

If you want a gun in the mean time you should go buy one from a gun show. maybe go over to nevada, arazona, or texas and get one from their gun shows. the gun laws are great in those states.

DesXL1691.jpg

FUCK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. I WILL SCALP THEM ONE DAY

Last edited:
Soon the UN will step in and try to take our guns under the pretense of keeping peace. Buy your guns now, while you still can.

With that said, never, ever ever ever, keep guns or ammo at a grow sight period. If you are a hunter, keep it at your cabin and never store cannabis at said cabin. Guns and cannabis do not mix, period.

Although I don't disagree with buying what you can sooner rather then later, that has nothing to do with the UN small arms treaty which is already a dead issue. It would take 68 senator votes to pass and 60+ have already come out against it publicly. There are only 100 in the senate so it's kinda a moot issue now. I'm not even sure Obama would sign it if it did pass. More guns and ammo have been sold under his admin then under any other admin in the history of the US. Also, less gun laws have been created and enforced under the Obama admin when compared with most other admins including Bush Jr. Bush Sr. Reagan and Clinton.

A foreign treaty cannot trump the US constitution, especially the 2nd amendment.

The banning of most firearms inside the US will never happen in our lifetimes if any.

Most have no clue what this treaty really even is, it's mostly about controlling and limiting the sales of American firearms overseas. Yes it would hurt us being the prices of firearms would rise, but it's an attempt to limit our contribution to the firearm violence around the world. It does nothing to tread on our rights as US citizens. It could be used as an argument to do so, but this treaty isn't about citizens it's about the manufactures being the world's largest gun lords.

supermanlives

Veteran
i play jp breaking the law as i see the boarder. if you look the cool type you can find anything at a gun show . i have bought shit in the parking lot LOL i am saving up for something special and really powerfull thats prob not legal in my state. fuck em

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A foreign treaty cannot trump the US constitution, especially the 2nd amendment.

The banning of most firearms inside the US will never happen in our lifetimes if any.

I always find it amusing when people talk in absolutes about the vagaries coming out of Washington. Twenty years ago, actually far less than that, no one would have dreamed that the Federal government could/would force private citizens to buy a product from private companies, with enforcement by the IRS and upheld by the Supreme Court. Regardless of what you consider the likelihood, vigilance is in order.

Latest posts

Latest posts