What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To trim or not to trim ?

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Hey Smokey, I'm 2 weeks into flowering, can I still trim at this late stage bro ?
Hi mark1253
If you're still within the 1-14 day window - you can clean them up a bit for whats ahead but anything after that window can be risky.

Although not the case if scrogging.

Last edited:
shout out to pistilwhipped's (sp?) thread back on cannabisworld, opened my eyes for sure!

the rule of thumb i learned, as long as the bud sites are no larger than the end of a pencil eraser it's not too late!

though that was for LST, as SumDumGuy notes, scrog is a different animal, you want as many sites exposed to light as you can get!

mark1253

Thanks sumdumguy. saturday was the 14 day point but i really screwed up the lighting timers so they never really went into the 12/12 phase properly until the following tuesday (2 weeks tomorrow)

I've decided NOT to trim them anymore because of this and also what Swampskunk (cheers mate) said about the bud sites as they are about that size already.

They are looking good overall and I'm pleased with this, my first ever grow !

I'll post some pics tomorrow for you all to see

Thanks for the help folks CHEERS :canabis:

mark1253

day 14 flowering

day 14 flowering

:1help:sorry about the quality of the pics....they were taken in a hurry.

starting to get tiny buds now but I still think its a bit overcrowded.

I was thinking about training some of the leaves out of the way of budsites further down .

I've also got bud sites that are getting virtually no light around the edges of my grow :1help:

Having said that a mate gave me some lovely buddah :joint: so maybe I'm just being paranoid :wallbash:

ANY ADVICE TIPS OR COMMENTS WELCOME :yeahthats

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
:1help:sorry about the quality of the pics....they were taken in a hurry.

starting to get tiny buds now but I still think its a bit overcrowded.

I was thinking about training some of the leaves out of the way of budsites further down .

I've also got bud sites that are getting virtually no light around the edges of my grow :1help:

Having said that a mate gave me some lovely buddah :joint: so maybe I'm just being paranoid :wallbash:

ANY ADVICE TIPS OR COMMENTS WELCOME :yeahthats

Damn this is one of those where you're like F U C K but lets be serious here. If you have bud site that are not getting light than I'm sorry that leaf has to go. You're fired.. If you can't space 'em out then try and get a stick and lean them on it to the side get light. I'll think up some ideas bro.

PS THEY LOOK GOOOOOODDDD!!!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey guys i was thinking about doing some trimming on this clone, can i make cuts with scissors dipped in H2o2? I am gonna clear up some of the bottom foilage.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
hey mark1253 we are pretty close to the flowering times. I flipped on the 24th of january I am sure you are just a couple of days ahead of me. i am pulling up a chair and watching to see the end results. I dont remember if you had said how many plants you have so i will ask the question. how many do you have. are you running any co2. so i just went back to the first page and you have 12:woohoo: going right now you have to forgive me i just got high.:joint:

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey guys- great discussion. i use 1/4" paper tape to tape the leaves and especially any big fan leaves down rather than cutting them off. as stated earlier their important for photosynthesis and for plant respiration. i believe buds grow because of the leaves and roots processing light, air and nutrients.
jmo

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
WHat do you guys use to sterilize the cuts? Is Hydrogen Peroxide ok for this, because thats what i have been using.

mark1253

I never used anything to steralize when I trimmed mine, but something I read somewhere was to cut using scissors as the crushing whilst cutting helps the 'wound' heal and its worked fine for me.

But then again I also read to cut with a clean scalpal :chin:

mark1253

Question .......A mate has offered me the use of a 400w hps.

Can I hang this next to my 600w hps and increase my yeild bearing in mind i'm nearly 3 weeks into flower.

picture.php

picture.php
74725P1030369.JPG[

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Mark1253 I have always heard more light is better. If you can get it in there and keep the temps good you should go for it.

loco81

yup more is better for sure as long as you can still keep all other things in line. temp and such

yer nice man , you gotta love wilma lol.. you said this was your first grow?, excellent mind set to go with a 600. and everyone loves morning glory :D

always trim take off any fan leaves or large leaves that shade potential bud sites underneath, with hight output bulbs the plants will get enough light just on the bud leaves to survive , get rid of the fans and the whole plant turns into 1 bud lol

adding more lights will always increase bud output especially at only 3 weeks, if you dont mind paying the extra electricity go for it ... just remember more light = more heat

oh and to answer the stelalize question above ... use a razor blade , bought in packs for stanley knives ,,, before you clone put a blade in your kettle and boil away... it will steralize it then work with clean hands.

:)

mark1253

You can also scrub up, get the nurse to put your gloves and mask on........steralize your grow room (operating theatre) and make incisions under the direction of an aneathatist............FFS they are weeds that grow in the wild !!

Sorry.........Tuesday night getting pished and being gobby,,,,,,,,,,,,hehehe

But on a serious note.....(and I am PIshed) i am a total newbie but having read practically every freakin thread on this site I have learned so much i think im Charles fekin Darwin !
I am 3 weeks into flower and I have been 'snapping' LARGE'fan leaves off .
I'm probably fooking things up but my buds are growing nicely............i'll be posting some pics tomorrow.
In my VERY humble opion..........scissors do the job.....just dont scratch yer nuts first LOL

drunk post over.....later folks:nanana: