What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tincture recipes

noncombustion

By using water steeping for tincture to help "clean" the final product should I just do a few rounds in hot tap water (ive got my water heater cranked till u can get burned a little by it)? OR should I use just above room temp to avoid loosing resin glands? And also with this tek (can u tell im interested in it? lol) should the steeping be done with whole flowers or should the material be ground first? I am hoping to try the water steep and then do a quick oven decarb before tincturing, & I hope I will have some of the best alc tinc ive ever made. 1 more thing (sorry I'll shut up soon!) what seems to be the best oven time and temp for decarbing reasonably dry flowers? I have been doing 50 min @ 248F with ground material on a foil "pan" I WAS using 325 F for 5 min at the advice of another forum but I found that temp to vaporize wanted compounds out and waste them.

Last edited:
M

medi-useA

I would NOT use HOT WATER from the HOT WATER TAP!...most, if not all water heaters put a lot of built up gunk from your watertank into the water they heat...try it and see...fill a 2 L bottle from the hot water tap...sit it on the sink and wait for the water to settle...if it's cloudy...it's dirty..

Use cold water or distilled water.

muA

noncombustion

nice, glad i didnt just go ahead and try it! So cold CLEAN h2o should strip away the terpenes and other undesirables?? Thanks medi!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Huh?
Did I miss something?
Bioperine has nothing to do with MCTs...

Bioperine is an herbal enhancer, that allows your body to more easily process THC pills. It is the key ingredient in the 3x formula in Cannabrex. So, yes it does have alot to do with MCT oil.

noncombustion

Yeah it's actually black pepper extract, it has shown positive results in increasing the bioactivity of many nutrients and botanicals.

Great discussion all...

DISCLAIMER: No persons or property were harmed in the learning of this lesson.

I tried the oil bath with a small mason jar with approx. three oz. everclear 190 and a couple of grams of QWISO. About ten minutes into the procedure, as the thermometer in the alcohol solution read 200, the jar cracked! A decent sized geyser instantly erupted, followed by a fireball.
Luck is the only thing that prevented injury or damage. I am a fucking idiot for doing that inside the house, on a gas stove. I talked the procedure over with a friend before-hand and we agreed that outside on an electric burner was the only way. But, l thought about it some more and thought, hell I've reduced alcohol on the stove before; what could possibly go wrong!

Anyways, before the thing flashed, I noticed what looked like solidified paper like thin pieces of dark matter floating around the boiling tincture; is that the hash, or did I overheat or something?

I hope someone who has the same thoughts about doing tis in the house can learn from my lesson; although I obviously had to learn this the hard way, despite several warnings.
H

M

medi-useA

You have to be anal about temps!....and using a small jar as opposed to a large one might not have been the best idea...the bigger the jar the more heat it can take....

140Deg C is about the hottest you want to take it...

Do you have a deep fryer with a temp dial?...something like th@ could be taken outside and run with an extension cable....

Glad you were not hurt...or burnt ya place down!

muA

noncombustion

It can be done with the proper precautions. First off I am glad U and your house are ok!! And also I will add that you just unfortunately found out the hard way why any responsible forum instructing how to do this has a BIG DISCLAIMER about using gas and being indoors. I am wondering if the oil bath was too hot for the jar, a water bath works well for tincturing as the water vapor lifts up all the evaporated alcohol. Alcohol vape is heavier than air so it sinks. Since your oil was not evaporating, nothing was lifting the alcohol vape away from the flame up to the fan which should be venting out on high. I think the oil bath talk was more for oil/fat extraction not alc on a gas burner. I have heard a lot of claims that the hotter temps produced by oil bath are more efficent than H2o but next time only on electric. Also... get a pyrex glass measuring cup, they handle heat better than the mason and have a pour spout.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I have done it many times using either water or oil. Never had a problem. I use big mason jars, that are thicker. Dont use the same jar everytime. My guess is you had a weak jar. If you use thicker jars, the oil bath works much better than water. Water does not get as hot, so the material on the inside will not get hot enough...will take forever. Noncombustion has a good suggestion with the measuring cup. Anyways, glad you are safe. Oh yeah, you meant 200F right? If not, that is why it shattered!!!!

noncombustion

hey what temp are you gettin the ethanol to with the oil bath? The water bath with the pyrex cup should only put the mixture to around 170-176 F, is that hot enough after oven decarb or could more potential be found using an oil bath? I imagine the solution reduces in about half the time in an oil bath! sorry if this has already been covered but I did not see exact mix temps or a "max temp" to go up to. Or is that 240 F pretty much a standby #?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Temps depend on your oil temps and type of jar. Just monitor the temps of the ethanol, and try to keep the oil bath around 240. Yes it reduces much faster! Temps are key, just try to follow that chart. 176 F would take hours to get full decarb. You could try to grind up your herb, and stick it in the oven at 250 F for 30 min. The higher the temps, the less time. You could do 270 at 20 min also. Anyways, then make your tincture out of that material and reduce. Then it would not matter if you used water to reduce it, it just take longer.

Using MCT oil is different, because it does not reduce. You can get it hotter than ethanol. Good luck.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Depends on how dry the material is. You can just put it in for a few min just to get the moisture out if it is moist. And grind it up good, because you eat it if you are making pills. Or you can make BHO out of the material, and use that for tincture or pills. It will make less pills than with material, but will be more potent. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts