What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tincture recipes

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I just put an ounce of kief in a bottle of everclear, finna water bath it then add some vanilla and cinnamon and see what it do.

cfo

I'm making an alcohol tincture this morning, using the hot water bath method to evaporate the rum 151. But the first step is to cook the cannabis in the oven at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes. I've got a 5 gallon pail full of trim and fan leaves to try this on. I figure if I can get all the THC from that amount of material concentrated into a pint sized jar of tincture, it should be potent enough to make the process worthwhile. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Last edited:

cfo

pictures of the process

pictures of the process

Basically, I would bring the alcohol/cannabis mixture up to 160 degree F for about 3 minutes. I then strain the plant material out. Next, add some more cannabis, heat up to 160 deg again for 5 minutes, strain, repeat, etc. I did this about 6 times until I got rid of the entire pail of trim. I'm now simmering the jar in a hot water bath to evaporate it down to an amount that will fill my small tincture bottle. I'll hopefully be able to try this tonight and will report the effects tomorrow. I'm going to start with one eye-dropper dose mixed in with some juice.

Attachments

• 2009 tincture 001.jpg
    2009 tincture 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2009 tincture 003.jpg
    2009 tincture 003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2009 tincture 005.jpg
    2009 tincture 005.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2009 tincture 006.jpg
    2009 tincture 006.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 11

slowandeasy

Veteran
CFO,
Use a cooking oil instead of water to reduce your mixture. Get the oil bath to 230-240degrees, the alcohol will evaporate. Do this for 20-30 min, and reduce your mixture down to almost an oil. Right now you have Green Dragon, not a tincture. Right now your mix will taste very strong of alcohol, and be weak. If you do it right, you will not have much left in your jar...but what you have will be far more potent. Heating to 160 degrees F is not hot enough to fully decarb your material, unless you did it for a very long time.

Next time make BHO out of your leaf material, then make tincture out of it. Much more efficient, and uses less alcohol. Good luck.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I am a rookie at this, but someone popped up with some tincture they made with Everclear and 2 oz's of prime bud...4 years ago!!
Anyways...I guess I didn't understand the 4 drops thing...and I took 4 droppers full with a li'l Gaterade-- Had me thinking I was going to get sick for about an hour...then all of a sudden it was gone-- I felt the effects for over a day--
I think I enjoy cookies better--

cfo

Last night I put 2 teaspons of the rum/cannabis mixture into a bottle of juice. Some mild effects kicked in after 1 hour. Today, I put the mixture back into a hot water bath to evaporate more of the rum to get a more potent mixture. I'll try it next weekend to see if this procedure made a more potent green dragon.

cfo

slowandeasy, follow up question from your recommendation-are you saying I should put the plant material directly into the hot oil instead of rum? What I meant by hot water bath was the jar of cannabis/alcohol sitting in a pot of hot water. Anyway, I think I will try BHO with my other plant material. I have another 5 gallon pail full of leaves to experiment with.

slowandeasy

Veteran
slowandeasy, follow up question from your recommendation-are you saying I should put the plant material directly into the hot oil instead of rum? What I meant by hot water bath was the jar of cannabis/alcohol sitting in a pot of hot water. Anyway, I think I will try BHO with my other plant material. I have another 5 gallon pail full of leaves to experiment with.

CFO,
No you double boil it using oil instead of WATER... use oil in the pan to double boil the jar. The jar will sit in the oil, no water involved. Use your candy thermometer to get the oil up to 230 to 240. Your rum will evaporate much better this way, plus your 160 degrees will not decarb your material.

Take your jar of green dragon that you have, reduce it for 30 min using the oil bath. Depending on how much rum you used will determine exactly how long to double boil it. When you are done, there will not be much left in the jar and it will be like a thin oil...not an alcoholic drink. You will barely taste the rum, and it will only take a few drops under the tounge.

What you have now will disappoint you, it is not concentrated enough. The whole point of it is to concentrate it, the extra rum will not help. Double boiling using water will not work well and it will take forever. Oil bath instead of water is your answer.

slowandeasy

Veteran
In that case he wants 320 degrees Fahrenheit

muA

What are you talking about? He does not need to be at 320 Fahrenheit!

I was responding to post number 24, give it a look. He was trying to reduce it at 160 F, but that is not hot enough. The correct temp is 230-240 F. 320 F is too hot!!!

cfo

I should've clarified in my earlier post that I did cook the raw cannabis in the oven at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes. That was my very first step.

Anyway, last night I took one dropper full in a small glass of juice on an empty stomach. Approx. 1 hr later I started feeling the effects. All I can say is "HOLY SHIT"! I would've never guessed it was going to be that strrong. To anybody that throws their fan/trim leaves away, I will gladly take them off your hands! I have one 5 gallon bucket of trim/fan leaves left and I don't know 100% if it's the leftovers from my Power Skunk or Super Silver Haze. I'm guessing my first batch was SSH, because last night's high was definitely a "heady" high. I also came to the conclusion that I enjoy an indica high more than sativa. But I'm not complaining either.

cfo

Sorry for the confusion I created. By failing to state that my first step was to cook the raw cannabis in the oven for 325 degrees, I can see where many would recommend that 165 deg F is not hot enough for the water bath. But, as my last post stated, this stuff works! With a little pre-planning, this delivery method is more stealthy than an iolite or any portable vaporizer. Drink it down, go to the party, and an hour later you're set for the night. Nobody thinks you're high cuz you've been in sight the whole time. I AM DIABOLICAL!!! HA HA HA HAAAA!

M

medi-useA

What are you talking about? He does not need to be at 320 Fahrenheit!

I was responding to post number 24, give it a look. He was trying to reduce it at 160 F, but that is not hot enough. The correct temp is 230-240 F. 320 F is too hot!!!

cfo wrote
Basically, I would bring the alcohol/cannabis mixture up to 160 degree F for about 3 minutes. I then strain the plant material out. Next, add some more cannabis, heat up to 160 deg again for 5 minutes, strain, repeat, etc. I did this about 6 times until I got rid of the entire pail of trim. I'm now simmering the jar in a hot water bath to evaporate it down to an amount that will fill my small tincture bottle. I'll hopefully be able to try this tonight and will report the effects tomorrow. I'm going to start with one eye-dropper dose mixed in with some juice.

slowandeasy->
The cannabis must be decarboxilated before thc is made active.
I did not see that he had decarboxilated the cannabis. [the post above it!...my booboo for th@ one!;)]

That is why I stated 320F or 160C.
You are quite correct in stating 160F was too low.

Evaporation begins just below 100C or 212F.

So basically, what cfo is doing is an alc wash extraction.
I'm glad it turned out ok for him.

peace out

muA

grumio

The boiling point of ethanol is 173 F; water's is 212 F. 151 rum or Everclear is 24.5% water, so its boiling point is higher by a few degrees than 190 proof ethanol (full-strength Everclear, which is as close to "pure" alcohol as you're going to get - ethanol is hygroscopic & will pull water out of the atmosphere). Still, its boiling point is still well below that of water.

So a water bath is perfectly adequate to get 151 to a boil, and by definition, you cannot heat a liquid past its boiling point (thought the boiling point of a liquid can be raised by putting it under pressure).

You're perfectly welcome to do your reduction in an oil bath, but I don't see the point - it's a hell of a lot messier & requires a lot more attention than water.

One thing I've noticed that seems to make a considerable difference is the vessel you use. When I make mine in a Pyrex measuring cup (relatively thick borosilicate glass), it simmers. When I do it in a mason jar (thinner, soda-lime glass), it gets to a hard, rolling boil.

I think the level of concentration you go for is a matter of personal preference. A given batch of herb has a given amount of cannabinoids. Once you've properly prepared it & done your extraction, that's all there is. You've got the same amount of THC etc no matter how much you reduce it.

At least I think that's the case. As I said earlier in this thread, heat does things. It can cause chemical changes, as in decarboxylation, where THCA becomes THC, & it generally tends to break things down, at least to some extent. In cooking, for example, you very often add certain herbs & spices & such at the very end of the cooking process, because too much exposure to heat will either vape off or break down the delicate flavoring compounds in them.

So, my intuition tells me that less exposure to heat is probably better. But I don't know that. That's my question from earlier in the thread - where's the sweet spot?

Also, if you want to make a very concentrated tincture, where's the sweet spot for removing the plant matter & just reducing the filtered tincture? I do a 20 minute wash, strain it, & then do a 10 minute wash (with about half the initial amount of solvent). I know it works quite nicely, but then I see instructions for making QWISO that call for shaking the plant matter in iso for only 30 seconds - & I've got my stuff boiling in alcohol for half an hour! ???

Well, the good news is that it works. I've blethered on long enough.

cheers all

slowandeasy

Veteran
You guys just dont get it do you? You can use a water bath, it will just take much longer to evaporate. The oil bath keeps the temps up to 230-240. Water will not get that hot. Here is a chart on how long to decarb and at what temps. Do what you like, and if it works for you that is all that matters. If you want to know the sweet spot on temps and times read this. If you do not see the point on an oil bath instead of water after reading the temps and times, you still dont get it. Also, keeping the temps up requires no pre heating of herb...because you get it hot enough to decarb while reducing Good luck

BTW I use 190 proof everclear

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=107780&page=3

Latest posts

Latest posts