What's new

Tijuana Donkey Show Outdoor Garden

epicorchard

Hey Bulldog, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I only get about 7-8 ours now. But if I want to grow/emulate giants like you folks on here it looks like I will need to cut down more trees.

I wont plant in a spot that gets any shade at all. The plant is a solar panel. But if i had no other option, morning shade is better than late day shade. The sun is much stronger late in the day. More sun, more plant.

Pot size and plant numbers is all a factor of water. Start with your gallons of water you can use daily, and then determine how many gallons of soil you can effectively keep at optimal moisture.

Id say a minimum of 200 gal of soil is needed, but more like 500-800 gallons is optimal.

The last factor to consider is how many plants can you grow in a safe and sustainable manor. If your county lets you go 99, then good for you. But if you live where thats not an option, try growing 30 plants and then figure out how much soil you can water, and then divide that by your 30 plants.

But then again I photoshop all these images so you'll never grow plants this big. That dude in the garden is actually a lawn jockey dressed in toddler clothes.

Calidude

The last factor to consider is how many plants can you grow in a safe and sustainable manor. If your county lets you go 99, then good for you. But if you live where thats not an option, try growing 30 plants and then figure out how much soil you can water, and then divide that by your 30 plants.

But then again I photoshop all these images so you'll never grow plants this big. That dude in the garden is actually a lawn jockey dressed in toddler clothes.

thanks the input. I get direct sunlight fom 740am until 4pm so I get most of the late day sunlight. for sure i'll need to cut down more trees.

I am not sure I am following you on the math for the 30 plants. I do have a good well (but no storage tank) that I think should be able to sustain the water that is needed.

epicorchard

You're gonna need at least a 3000 gallon tank. What happens if your well pump goes out one day? you need storage to buy time in case of a disaster. Try and water your plants with about 10% of your container volume. So if you have a 400 gallon mound, it needs at least 40 gallons a day. So if you have 24 plants, that would be 24x40= 960 gallons a day. So you need to be able to pump that much water up daily.

G

growbigeasy

next year you should get some sprayers in the mix man. those mounds would LOVE it. i hate them in smart pots because they spray all over the stalk but you could set em far back and just let them rip. the amount of feeder roots that form when the top layer can stay moist really easily is insane.

Calidude

You're gonna need at least a 3000 gallon tank. What happens if your well pump goes out one day? you need storage to buy time in case of a disaster. Try and water your plants with about 10% of your container volume. So if you have a 400 gallon mound, it needs at least 40 gallons a day. So if you have 24 plants, that would be 24x40= 960 gallons a day. So you need to be able to pump that much water up daily.

got it! The two things on my list is the tank and green house. any recommendations on the green house at 4000 ft with two to three weeks of snow during the winter months?

More questions....sorry some stupid questions. how tall were your clones at transplant? How many times did you top your plants?

Calidude

It works pretty good. It's one of my secrets for driving my plants from cuts on 4/20 to 12x12 trees today.

You can get a great version from Advancing Eco Agriculture...

Hey Backyard, you mind giving some guidance on application of these nutrients? how often? how much? etc. also what strain did grow to get that height??

You and Epic have been very willing to share your knowledge on here. thanks much.

epicorchard

next year you should get some sprayers in the mix man. those mounds would LOVE it. i hate them in smart pots because they spray all over the stalk but you could set em far back and just let them rip. the amount of feeder roots that form when the top layer can stay moist really easily is insane.

I have 8 "T-Tape" pressure controlled drip lines every foot running the length of the mounds. Each line drips every 8 inches, and gives me .4 gph/100'. The whole thing is controlled by a 4 zone rainbird controller. I'm going to upgrade to a thicker drip line, probably just copy BYF, but I definitely prefer drip irrigation to sprayer heads. I feel like they waste lest water.

epicorchard

got it! The two things on my list is the tank and green house. any recommendations on the green house at 4000 ft with two to three weeks of snow during the winter months?

More questions....sorry some stupid questions. how tall were your clones at transplant? How many times did you top your plants?

Yea, You have to go with the Gale Force from envirotech. Great company and a fantastic product engineered to withstand impressive wind and snow. If you message me and you are ready to pull the trigger, i can give you refer you to their sales manager.

Everything went in at about 5-6ft tall, 3-4ft wide. They spent a couple months in 15gal pots in a hoop house getting topped initially, and then super cropped constantly.

Depends what your going for. A skilled gardner can but a clone in the ground in june, and still pull down 6-8lbs come october. I'm hunting down the 20lb monster. Don't expect to hit it this year, but I've got some tricks up my sleeve for next year.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
This is a cool thread and I'm sorry I've missed it up until now. Definitely some GH knowledge getting dropped in here, keep up the good work. :yes:

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Hey Backyard, you mind giving some guidance on application of these nutrients? how often? how much? etc. also what strain did grow to get that height??

You and Epic have been very willing to share your knowledge on here. thanks much.

Hey CaliDude , welcome to the party.

Every grow has its own individual needs and requirements , I use PhotoMag on the weekly @ 1OZ per gallon along with a collection of other products applied via Foliar spray.

Another way you could use it is right after a big application of synthetic fertilizer , but I'd make sure to cut back at least 1/3 if increasing biology and increasing frequency of the Nitrate reductase enzyme reaction inside the plant by providing a luxury level of enzyme co factors like Molybdenum and Cobalt.

@Epicorchard

If I had known you wanted to try out the inline emitter tube I could have given you one of my graveyard rolls to try out!! I get it from JAIN through Dripworks in Willits..It's the 1/2" inline emitter tube with 1 GPH drippers on 9" spacing specifically.

epicorchard

Hey CaliDude , welcome to the party.

Every grow has its own individual needs and requirements , I use PhotoMag on the weekly @ 1OZ per gallon along with a collection of other products applied via Foliar spray.

Another way you could use it is right after a big application of synthetic fertilizer , but I'd make sure to cut back at least 1/3 if increasing biology and increasing frequency of the Nitrate reductase enzyme reaction inside the plant by providing a luxury level of enzyme co factors like Molybdenum and Cobalt.

@Epicorchard

If I had known you wanted to try out the inline emitter tube I could have given you one of my graveyard rolls to try out!! I get it from JAIN through Dripworks in Willits..It's the 1/2" inline emitter tube with 1 GPH drippers on 9" spacing specifically.

Lol.. Horrible, There are two dudes reading this who now are gonna be begging me to buy them emitters until the end of time. If it works out sometime before september, then I'll take you up on that offer. Glad to have you on this thread, adds some science to all my speculation!

epicorchard

This is a cool thread and I'm sorry I've missed it up until now. Definitely some GH knowledge getting dropped in here, keep up the good work. :yes:

Well I used to have a greenhouse, by next week its gonna be a sweet trellis support structure. Oh well, guess we blew the roof off that one!

G

growbigeasy

I have 8 "T-Tape" pressure controlled drip lines every foot running the length of the mounds. Each line drips every 8 inches, and gives me .4 gph/100'. The whole thing is controlled by a 4 zone rainbird controller. I'm going to upgrade to a thicker drip line, probably just copy BYF, but I definitely prefer drip irrigation to sprayer heads. I feel like they waste lest water.

im not a big fan of the sprayers in all reality. i set them to run 3 times per day, 2 minutes each time is all. in addition to my 40 foot coils of drip on each plant

Calidude

Yea, You have to go with the Gale Force from envirotech. Great company and a fantastic product engineered to withstand impressive wind and snow. If you message me and you are ready to pull the trigger, i can give you refer you to their sales manager.

Everything went in at about 5-6ft tall, 3-4ft wide. They spent a couple months in 15gal pots in a hoop house getting topped initially, and then super cropped constantly.

I will definitely message you on the Ghouse later this year. It's amazing that your plants went in at that size. I'm embarrassed to say but most of my plants now are only as big as yours at transplant.

it sounds like you use supplemental lighting in the hoop house. Do you think t5s are adequate during that stage?

epicorchard

I will definitely message you on the Ghouse later this year. It's amazing that your plants went in at that size. I'm embarrassed to say but most of my plants now are only as big as yours at transplant.

it sounds like you use supplemental lighting in the hoop house. Do you think t5s are adequate during that stage?

Cant grow rome in a day. Adapt, evolve, overcome.
I run string lights with 24w cfl's. About one every 16 square ft. Super cheap and effective.

Latest posts

Latest posts