What's new

Tijuana Donkey Show Outdoor Garden

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
My greenhouse company, Envirotech out of Richmond Ca, sells an automated system for $15k. Personally I'd rather build something for $5k and save the difference.

Hey ,

That's who I got all my stuff through .. They get their system from the link I supplied you ...

I have 2 22x48 Gale force , one set up with the curtain system and 24 e papillons , I'm starting the construction in the blackout finally after having it since April .... I'm going to put down EPS to insulate the floor from the earth and plumb PEX under a sand bed to circulate hot water ...

How are you supplying heat? Propane? I'll do that too, if I have to but I don't really like the forced air propane greenhouse heaters..so I was hoping to get away with hot water in the floor at night and Zusing the supplemental light for heat as well as a boost to the sun

This is my first time doing a light dep green house to this level , so I just threw the kitchen sink at it ...lights motorized curtains , fans , blah blah blah I'm sure I spent more than I had to on things I could have done more simply but I'm sure I'll be happy with the result

Thanks for sharing your experience.

epicorchard

Haven't heard BBXNL in awhile. I had a few in ground guerrilla style 5 or so years ago. They got ripped (cut down not stolen per say)so only got to smoke some immature buds but the I remember the taste being very good for OD smoke. I was impressed.

Whats your fav for taste that you have growing?

Lab tests arent back on the BBxNL yet. Its a real punchy sativa with a sharp piney nose. Almost like a fruity Jack.

Last year The Blue dream came in at 27.5% thc. The Chem 4 was at 29% THC. Tested with SC Labs. I had them retested by Harborside and their test came back at 17% and 19% respectively.

As far as my favorite, Chem 4, GSC, and any solid OG are my favorite to smoke, but as any serious grower whose played around with some BD's will tell you, its the easiest plant to grow if you're looking for both yield and quality.

Madjag

Veteran
Lab Test - good

Lab Test - good

I invited soil expert and author of The Ideal Soil, Michael Astera, to join in on the discussions on ICMag. He is a firm believer in soil tests and then balancing the soil with proper supplements, not blindly adding large amounts of what you "think" it needs.

Here's the first thread he landed in. It was started by DreamBig:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chelates for trace minerals?[/FONT]

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=286374

Last edited:

epicorchard

Hey ,

That's who I got all my stuff through .. They get their system from the link I supplied you ...

I have 2 22x48 Gale force , one set up with the curtain system and 24 e papillons , I'm starting the construction in the blackout finally after having it since April .... I'm going to put down EPS to insulate the floor from the earth and plumb PEX under a sand bed to circulate hot water ...

How are you supplying heat? Propane? I'll do that too, if I have to but I don't really like the forced air propane greenhouse heaters..so I was hoping to get away with hot water in the floor at night and Zusing the supplemental light for heat as well as a boost to the sun

This is my first time doing a light dep green house to this level , so I just threw the kitchen sink at it ...lights motorized curtains , fans , blah blah blah I'm sure I spent more than I had to on things I could have done more simply but I'm sure I'll be happy with the result

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sure you recognized my 30x48 galeforce! Gotta love envirotech!
We had such a mild winter that I was able to keep my temps up by keeping the ghouse closed. During the day it baked in the sun, and that warmth kept temps 45-55 degrees at night. I also believe that the exposed dirt floor wood release heat at night further regulating my temps. I reccomend sealing up any drafts by burying your Ghouse covering wherever it meets the ground.

Next year I plan on purchasing a professional rez air system that produces co2 while heating simultaneously. Money in, Money out. Pros grow in Pro Ghouses. I'm never afraid of investing in my future.

Envirotech told me that the black out sytem was 15k installed, but I never checked to see how much the parts were. I built my Ghouse myself, didnt want to have their installers come out. How difficult of a build are you expecting it to be?

Thanks for your input.

epicorchard

Thanks Madjag, interesting read. I tend to think people could avoid most of these deficiencies by building a proper soil from the get go. I do Zero foliar feeding, and these plants seem to be growing pretty well.

epicorchard

Did'nt know that. If thats true, separate systems for co2 and heat would be required at my elevation.

Seeing as we have similar set ups, I look forward to any solutions you might find. Guess it all depends on how big a winter you're trying to have.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I don't know if it is true just what I heard.

I'm going to start with keeping the floor warm for the night cycle and using 27kw or so of electric heat and see where I go from there....24 fixtures is about 100k btu

epicorchard

I cant imagine that a 27kw heater would be very cost effective to operate. I think the same theory applies to running HPS lights in a ghouse. Does any additional yield offset the energy cost compared to running small supp lights in veg and no additional lights during bloom?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
The power here is very cheap, I've ran a forced air propane heater like the Reznor ones envirotech sells. They drink propane.

The sun dips behind a mountain on me in the winter a bit more than I'd want for it to be the only light source , so if I can get heat during the day and more light from the same money I'm winning as far as economics goes, especially if I can pull 2+oz / sq ft of canopy

The 27kw heater is 24 1150w ePapillion fixtures , each one gives off about 4000 btu so I am hoping that the result is the same as having 100k btu of propane heat.

For night heat I'm going to recirculate hot water from solar collectors and a 550 gal holding tank and plumb a propane water heater in line for supplemental water heat in the dead nuts winter.

epicorchard

Oh I got it. People round here tend to go with the gavida lights, but I think they are both dual fire hps? Yea that all sounds righteous. I usually pull one or less per sq ft. 2 is impressive for sure. But then again I'm extremely new to the ghouse game.